Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Thanks, Lear. I've been walking around the house and the flex point is before the to cap so things should be ok. Track pants and balmoral boots are an interesting look to say the least - perhaps for the next Pitti ...

Thanks, Crat. Would it make a difference in your preference if the shoe had a toe cap rather than being a plain toe?

Lear, I hope you don't mind me posting the picture below but this is what I'm aiming for:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013

2. Crat

Crat Senior member

Ha!

No, it wouldn't make a difference me but like I said its a matter of personal preference.

Also, that shine on Lear's shoes ....:slayer:

3. Lear

Lear Senior member

Gerry, of course no problem posting the pics. That's what SF is all about. Looks like you know what you're doing, so no need to repeat stuff. You now know what we meant by, 'just get a feel for the polish'. It ain't that hard, and all these threads and words make a very simple thing sound complicated.

Some points:

I don't know how soft your cloth is. To get to the 'next level', I use cheap flannelette (from haberdasher). The important thing is that it isn't the thick stuff. If it feels spongy to the touch, don't buy it. The stuff I get is usually white or pale yellow. Almost as thin as paper card. The thicker stuff will act like a sponge, always sucking up too much water to be any superior (no harm done though). By flannelette, I mean the same kind of stuff they make shoe bags out of. It's soft and fleecy. Many do well by just an old t-shirt. This just never worked for me.

Now, there will be many people reading this who can't believe how particular and fussy we're getting. But like I said, if it's good enough for the Japanese master polishers to consider an art form... same goes for me too. It's fun and doable by anyone, rich or poor... er... once you've bought your $200 worth of Saphir products that is :D

Also, right now you'll want to mirror shine everything (it's illegal to mirror shine small children and pets in the UK). Just stick to one or two pairs of shoes for now. The novelty, like a thin coat of Renovateur, will wear off. Like Patrick (?), I experimented on some RMW boots, only to realize they're best left to plain old RMW Saddle Dressing. Whatever, it's a nice trick to have up your sleeve.

The pic above was of the cheaper range C&J leather. Those in particular probably had no more than 50 - 60 coats. Those were early days. I've since moved up in quality of leather/shoe and number of thinner coats. So, like I said, I'm probably now averaging 100+ coats.

Crat, cheers for the compliment. I've tried to not to post too many pics. Don't want to come off like a poser.

Lear (who is in fact a poser)

4. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

this is whai I do
    1 saphir renovateur brush, buff,brush ,buff ,brush , buff ---------------
    2 if you want color -saphir cordovan cream neutral mixed w/saphir cordovan cream brown to desired shade- brush ,buff ,brush ,buff------------
    3 use search function there is tons of stuff on sf @care of shell

5. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

I use Saphir Reno, however I was wondering what to do if I wanted to add a bit of color..

Thanks for the tip..

Cheers,

Dan

6. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

. I find that ravello and whisky darken w age so i only use color if i have damage a little tan kiwi will work fine for that plus a little deer bone and elbow grease

7. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Would that be tan wax or cream?

I guess you don't see any issues with using something not made specific for Cordovan shoes?

8. XKxRome0ox

XKxRome0ox Senior member

9. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

Kiwi wax is fine for shell as long as it is used very sparingly the cordovan specific stuff made by saphir is undoubtedly better also a lot more expensive especially if you dont have a lot of shell. imo saphir products are the best by a long shot but shell needs so little care in terms of conditioners that reno alone is all you need .Damp cloth wipe and brush - buff are what really gets er done. I like to do the deer bone thing too but im not so sure it makes that much difference

10. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

11. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

So far all I have used on my Cordovan shoes to this point has been Saphir Reno and my bruish.

However I do like tohave a bit of colored polish on hand that matches the boot just in case.

This will be my first Walnut colored Cordovan pair, so I just wasn't sure what to use.

Thanks for the insight and for answering all of my questions.

You have been a tremendous help.

Cheers,

Dan

12. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

Get them to put cork nitrile on. I think my iron rangers are immortal, had them four years used heavily and still nowhere near needing resoled!

13. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

I worked a lot in refineries , chem plants and later wafer fabs you contact lots of corrosive stuff .Cork nitrile was superior by far

14. SHS

SHS Senior member

Tell me more of this cork nitrile please. What are the pros and cons?

15. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

Pros, lasts seemingly forever. Good grip for a flat sole.
    Cons, it ain't pretty!
    I only have it on my shitkickers tho so no matter how it looks