1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. jbcohen

jbcohen Well-Known Member

When you say upgrade in shoe polish, I typically use Kiwi, how is their quality?

2. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

25 bucks for a shoe shine!? You've been huffing Renomat again haven't you?

3. jbcohen

jbcohen Well-Known Member

$25 for a shine wow that's expensive, however I got to see about my local Nordstrom offering shines for $2.50.

4. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

More than the cost of a whole jar of Renovateur.

5. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

Even in the US!

6. chogall

chogall Senior member

Will of ASW is also a fan and posted a video several years back with them shining his cordovan boots with deer bone. Too expensive for my blood but then there are people too rich to give a damn.

Didn't know these guys have a stand at Montana.

7. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

^^Hahahaaa^^ had to re-read this to check you hadn't written cowboy boots!

8. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

Wait you box your shoes up and mail them off for a shine and you will not be disappointed ? I must be reading something wrong cause im disappointed just thinking someone would consider doing such a thing .

Last edited: May 23, 2013
  9. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

Lolz! Guy's a nut case!

10. David Copeland

David Copeland Senior member

Originally from Newport Beach - Now living in West
    Check out their videos at the following link:

http://ashineandco.com/

11. benhour

benhour Senior member

probably most of us here can achieve better results than they do!!especially on mirror or spit shine

12. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

:happy::happy::happy:

13. David Copeland

David Copeland Senior member

Originally from Newport Beach - Now living in West
    Well, you can always call Nick at B Nelson in NYC - and ask him about all of his international customers who box up their shoes and boots and mail it to him. There are lots of very good shops in the country who service customers by UPS and the mails.

The $25 shine I mentioned in a previous post is the exception and not the rule - mostly a restoration with mirror shine. The same shine store starts at $7-$10 per shine (which is higher than the $2.50 shine at Nordstroms) - but after watching how much effort they put into any shine makes you wonder what can't you take the time, buy the products, and do it yourself. I guess the answer is that time for many folks is . . . money.

To ge a taste of how I found one such shop - watch a local TV News program with Mike Rowe (before he got his big start with the Discovery Channel) in the following news video:

1 person likes this.
  14. chogall

chogall Senior member

Mail order shine is for those too rich who have too many shoes and who doesn't give a damn.

Besides, don't some shoe retailers offer free shoe shine anyway? Take your lobbs to lobb for free shine, same saphir product. Or leather soul.

15. swordem

swordem New Member

With respectfully i want to know that, u applying Renovateur with a horse hair dauber, what the Renovateur is.? Is it applicable for all types of Leather Footwear.

16. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

Don't go to Nordstrom, they don't know what the eff they're doing, especially with shell-

[VIDEO]
    [/VIDEO]

1 person likes this.
  17. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

18. dbhdnhdbh

dbhdnhdbh Senior member

I cannot imagine paying someone to shine my shoes. It would feel like hiring someone to brush my teeth. That said, I now realize some people like sunbright shines, and that requires polishing. If you don't want to do it yourself, then I suppose you have to pay for it. Mail order is easier than taking them somewhere in person.

I would assume that routinely sending shoes out to be polished will lead to some getting lost.

19. Nick V.

Nick V. Senior member Dubiously Honored

If you notice most pros don't use daubers to apply polish for a typical shine. They use a rag wrapped around the index and middle fingers clenched in their fists. This gives them a better "feel" which insures them that the polish is being spread and applied evenly. Horse daubers are to soft and not as accurate as your fingers. Add to that they waste polish and you have one more thing to clean with no advantage for their use.

20. Beach Bum

Beach Bum Senior member

While the idea of shipping shoes to get shined seems ridiculous on the cover, I quickly forget that many of the owners of numerous high end shoes are CEOs, other executives, etc...

Many of which are worth way more than the populous and most definitely most of SF. If they want their shoes polished with the best possible quality and service why not ship to a Pro with no regard for cost. But then I'm sure many have in house butlers that can duly serve as shoe shiners as needed.

One day I'll be shipping my shoes for shining!