1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

If you had done any research at all you would realize that my opinion regarding a short list for cordovan care products was anything but an attempt to " dump " on anyone but rather a reiteration of this forums most agreed upon method of initial care for shell cordovan shoes .It is refered to as the Mac method..As to the other matter you seem to fail to note that there was an apology involved or that it had nothing to with you whatsoever . I would suggest however that if you find improper grammar , misspelling , and lack of clarity so distasteful you avoid asking questions on internet forums or at the least take note of the advice given you by Patrick Booth

2. David Copeland

David Copeland Senior member

Originally from Newport Beach - Now living in West
    I would highly recommend . . . before you do anything . . . would be to study both of the following links (and if necessary, call them if you need clarification):

http://www.sidmashburn.com/shop/shoe-shine-playbook/shell-cordovan.html

http://www.hangerproject.com/shoe-care-guide/polishing-shell-cordovan.html

All my best,

David

3. David Copeland

David Copeland Senior member

Originally from Newport Beach - Now living in West
    Anyone have any good success using acetone in either special cleaning or regular maintenance?

David

4. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

Yes but unless you have read and understand this it is a very bad idea
    http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9927062

5. chogall

chogall Senior member

Hello there. But I found that Acetone is too weak for my taste.

6. frogwash

frogwash Well-Known Member

[​IMG] :embar:

7. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Plutonium works best, but only when you are traveling 88 miles per hour.

8. VegTan

VegTan Senior member

I have never used acetone, but I have used turpentine for a wax remover. My understanding is that acetone is more aggressive than turpentine. Here is some information.

9. patrickBOOTH

I find that interesting because with the use of renovateur on a mirror shined toe in just a small amount and swirling it around it actually helps create a mirror shine. You actually start getting that slick glassy resistance. I feel it is great for renovating a mirror shine. Unless whatever is in that Saphir jar in that picture isn't renovateur and just a regular neutral polish or something else entirely.

10. gsgleason

gsgleason Senior member

As a lot of people have observed, the shell on the RL Marlow seems really dry.

I wanted to condition it so I tried some of this stuff called "Leather Honey" which I've used on a lot of other leathery goods with great success.

I put some on the vamp and it soaked it up like a sponge! I did the rest of both shoes and now the shell is nice and soft an supple. It's pretty sweet.

Has anyone else used Leather Honey? I tried in on some calf once but it relaxed the leather quite a bit and altered the fit. The shell seems to like it, though.

11. benhour

benhour Senior member

patric if you have seen about 5-6 pages back i have said that i do this (with renovateur-cremeuniversal(if you overdoit mirror shine ll go off) or with cream polish( always small amount)) to refinish the mirror shine and maintain it once a month!! it really works and with a great effect!!!

i want to ask something to all the great guys here!! what do you do on a brand new pear of shoes before wear them or after a couple of wears ? at your opinion to make them last longer and stay as new as long as possible? ( I took the occasion of a brand new pair of shoes just arrived today at my place as a gift for my birthday)

lets start with what i do :
    1) brush the shoes
    2) apply creme universal of saphir especially at the areas of the shoe that ll flex ( or dubbin -depends on the kind of the leather)
    3) brush to shine them
    4) apply wax polish using a lighter at the bottom of the shoes to make them more water resistant (wont do this yet on this shoes cause here we are at the beggining of the summer)!! i have used collor dye but i dont think it is doing anything than hardening the first layer(0,5 mm)
    5) rarely do a patina if i would like to!
    i have some shoes for about -8-9 years and they look quit good til today i suppose
    looking forward for your replys

12. VegTan

VegTan Senior member

While Cream Shoe Polish Pommadier does not contain water, Renovateur contains water, which needs for a mirror shine.

13. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

I have not but I applaud your adventurous spirt . Another member posted recently about dousing his shells with lexol ,posted pics , they were beautiful . It seems this forum is becoming the largest single repository of information regarding the care and feeding of shell cordovan on the planet . Cool!!

14. benhour

benhour Senior member

i think he meant refinishing -maintain the existing mirror shine!! i think its quit impossible to go for a mirror shine using only renovateur from 0 to 100%!

btw i think the guy (i dont understand chinese so i dont know if the guy is you) is using insanely a lot of wax( according to what amount is taken from the tin and what is remaining on the shoe) and a lot of collonil paste polish!!(btw if you are the guy try the 1909 collonils series!! it has better results)

15. patrickBOOTH

Ben, I don't do anything to new shoes before I wear them.

16. benhour

benhour Senior member

if i remember correctly you are a bespoke guy in most cases? so in that case i think you are right and is quit unesesery !!! but what do u think about a shoe from a store? something like AE ,in that case you dont know how long this pear is there!

some pic's from the shoes after the treatment in describebt before(they were more matt ): the collor is brown and not burgundy as it might be seen in the last 2 pictures without the flash! All thoughts are more than welcome
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. glenjay

glenjay Senior member

Those are beautiful shoes Ben!

In regard to new shoes:I don't think that new shoes really need anything done to them right away, but I always like to go over a new pair with some cleaner/conditioner just to remove anything that may have collected on the surface in storage, and to give the leather a bit of a glow. Sometimes I will add a coat of cream polish, and bull the toe with some paste, if I want to start off with a full shine. It sort of depends on the shoe style. I never condition the sole, as I don't want to soften that leather.

18. patrickBOOTH

I mean other than light conditioning you don't really need to do anything. I don't have any bespoke shoes, but a lot of them are MTO, so I am guessing the leather and such is worked with and treated shortly before I get them.

19. chogall

chogall Senior member

If anything people should be spit shining instead of stripping or conditioning new shoes...

20. kloss

kloss Senior member

Some of the finish on my shoes came off. Is it enough to treat them with Saphir pigmented cream, or should i have them dyed?

Also (regarding another pair of shoes): if I use a cream that is lighter than the shoe color, will that have any effect on the shoe color? What about waxes? since it sits on top of the shoe, I imagine that the wax would work even if the cream does not work. I'm not concerned about how neat it will look (distressed leather), just as long as the colored wax shows.

Last edited: May 17, 2013