**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. totolino85

totolino85 Well-Known Member

I absolutely adore them!!!! they're not exactly wearable with everything but they're the perfect shoes to combine with jeans and a shirt on weekend and look supercool having something no one has!

2. SoGent

SoGent Senior member

screwy situation . . . .

i have a pair of AS Exclusives being polished for the first time.
    has anyone ever had a pair where one shoe was polishing a shade darker than the other.
    i've used the same amount, applied the same way. i've never seen this before.

3. m0bbie

m0bbie Senior member

I have a question. I have these shoes and wonder if the cracks are repairable? or they are done?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. ellsbebc

ellsbebc Senior member

Cracked leather is not repairable. You can cover it with polish but that is only temporary, and will not be very effective since you are dealing with the toe crease

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013

5. Crat

Crat Senior member

You can have your cobbler glue leather 'plasters' on the inside of the shoe to prevent further tearing.

6. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Hell - sometimes they come from the factory that way! :happy:

I'd wait a couple of days and check back. One might simply have been 'dryer' and absorbed more moisture/pigment.

If still uneven after waiting just put another coat on the lighter shoe and they will probably even out.

7. dbhdnhdbh

dbhdnhdbh Senior member

Quote: In addition to the MTO option mentioned a few pages back, some manufacturers let you order standard sizes, but different for the two shoes. AE says there is a slight extra charge, but if the fit or the creases bother you, it may be worth it.

8. bik2101

bik2101 Senior member

i have two pairs of AE park ave's both in the same size. one is a lot tighter widthwise than the other. is this normal? gonna drop them at a cobbler tomorrow to have them stretched and hope they get to the same comfort as the other pair. but still just wondering about that because it seems odd

9. Chase H

Chase H Senior member

Does venetian shoe cream work for calf, as well?

10. Louis XIV

Louis XIV Senior member

I would like to understand if the care for my chelsea boots is wrong or if what I can observe is common.

When I bought them I received a tin of Saphir MdO neutral wax and applied it heavily to the shoes.
    Imo I used a whole lot too much of it and thus have stripped the shoes two or three times with nailpolish remover.
    At the moment I only use Renovateur on them.
    After the application of Renovateur, some time to let the shoes dry and some brushing they look all shiny and fantastic.
    Apart from lighter color creases where the leather folds, they maintain their shine nicely for several wears, what I am happy with.
    Now please have a look at what they look like after I get into a moderate rainfall.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Is this white shading a sign of excess wax that gets washed out of the leather by the rain?
    Is it the deposit of the associated material in the rain?
    Would you buy leather soap or Renomat and strip the shoes once again to see if makes any difference?

Here is a side to side comparison of the left shoe after only a few seconds of brushing vs. the right shoe after the rain.
    The white shadows in the creases would disappear with an application of Renovateur

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013

11. joiji

joiji Senior member

I don't think its excess wax per se, but it is wax reacting to the water. I'd suggest giving the shoes a good buff with a cloth after brushing, and do this again if the problem persists in the rain. I believe this is a similar problem to having 'welts' appear on waxed shoes when water droplets fall on them.

12. irelentless

irelentless Member

bump

13. SHS

SHS Senior member

It's a good idea to condition/polish the shoes when you get them. No special technique with the buffing brushes. Go crazy! There is much advice in this thread about polishing. Also in the archives on glenjay's blog: http://oldleathershoe.com/wordpress/?m=201208

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013

14. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Never had this happen with my shoes. However, if they brush off, I assume it's just oil/wax/residue?

15. grendel

grendel Senior member

If you're not planning on bringing them up to a high shine I'd suggest something like Obenauf's Leather Oil. It'll moisturize the leather and protect from water, etc.