**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. charliebrown2

charliebrown2 Senior member

how many different brushes does one normal use for one round of polishing?

1) Brush to clean dirt & dust
    2) Applicator brush to apply cream polish (or cloth)
    3) Brush after conditioning/creaming stage

I assume brush #1 in interchangeable between shoe colors? Brush #2 & 3 should have a specialized color?

Thanks.

Unfortunately, I do not understand swedish, but thanks! I will check out the hanger project guide mention previously.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  2. lucidream

lucidream Active Member

I'm still a novice, so just posting what I've learned. I would hope that you could use the same dirty brush to do the initial clean of all shoes - but there is still an innate risk that black pigment could transfer to a light brown shoe, so be aware. I would use the same brush for the rest of the process (same brush post conditioner as post cream), and have two separate brushes for black and brown. Perhaps others can comment on the overall need for two cleaning brushes to separate black and brown.

3. jvc44

jvc44 Senior member

Does anyone have any experience with getting a good shine on BB peal cordovan cap toe boots ? Do they ever get better? Thank-you

4. Tyler Johnstone

Tyler Johnstone New Member

Just a heads up, I recently found Saphir shoe polish in Vancouver at a place called FortKnight. It's in Gastown.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  5. goodlensboy

goodlensboy Senior member

No, I don't add water when brushing, only when applying wax. I luckily have got some old bottles of Crema Alpina which adds great quick shine which gets multiplied with selvyt

I guess it's a combination of the leather on this specific shoe and the products. When I first applied saphir cream it kind of removed excess factory polish from here and there, and what appeared underneath was sort of museum like finish

6. jcb9

jcb9 Senior member

In my experience, cordovan does not shine as well as calf. I have seen some pictures of a nice shine on cordovan shoes, but I have not been able to replicate that using the same method I use on my calf shoes.

7. irelentless

irelentless Member

There is so much stuff in this thread, I don't know what to do for my shoes. I just purchased these Allen Edmonds loafers, and want to know the best way to maintain the new look and how to care for them. What are some products that I should buy? Would a cloth, AE condition, and AE polish be enough or what else should I get? Should I purchase a shoe tree, if so what is a good cheap one? How often should I be cleaning them? They are expensive so I just want to make sure I take care of them right and preserve the new look.

[​IMG]

8. justinkapur

justinkapur Senior member

look up the mac method

9. jvc44

jvc44 Senior member

I've tried it, doesn't work with these boots. I am wondering if wax will work!thanjs

10. azumi

azumi Senior member

If the Saphir Reno Matt was too strong, what do you think if I would use the Saphir Saddle Soap as an alternative, or the Saphir Cleaning Soap (which is more mild than the Reno Matt)?
    And how to use the Nappa leather Balm on Box calf leather shoes? Should I use it before applying Saphir Renovateur and Saphir Polish Cream?

11. azumi

azumi Senior member

Do you mean Saphir Pate de Luxe Wax Polish?

12. grendel

grendel Senior member

Look up the macarthur method for shell

It absolutely will work, but it takes a lot of time and elbow grease.

Adding a bit of Venetian Cream or Renovateur can bring up a bit more shine, but the main thing is brushing, brushing, brushing. I also like to use the deer bone on my shell to keep the creases from setting in too much.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  13. jvc44

jvc44 Senior member

Mac method works on Alden's not this pair of C and J!

14. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

Both yes and no, it works to a degree but don't get as shiny as mac's. I reccomend you to try the Saphir Cordovan cream, gives my C&J excellent shine!

15. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Non Alden shell can benefit from a very modest amount of product. Personally I really like the Saphir Cordovan Cream in Neutral. It's not really a polish or wax more a conditioner.