1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

:crackup:

Excellent!

2. Snaporaz

Snaporaz Active Member

It wasn't an attack on dbhdnhdbh- who might be on to something- or anyone else; just a gentle satire on the whole thread.

3. chogall

chogall Senior member

It's not the first time humidor was brought up in a shoe thread...

p.s., the conclusion last time was that humidor is very bad for your shoe trees.

p.s.s., at $1,500 USD, you have a customer right here!

Last edited: May 2, 2013
  4. chogall

chogall Senior member

Certain individual has been trolling in some venders favor. Nothing against HP, but they are never the shoe experts. Saphir was popular on this forum way longer than HP has been around.

And yes, HP's shoe care regiment is bad for most customers. Renomat is as bad as acetone or dye removers to all shoes. And renovator is a good product but its like those 2-in-1 shampoo + conditioners; a lazy man's solution. Caveat emptor.

Last edited: May 3, 2013
  5. Crat

Crat Senior member

't was not directed at you : )

6. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

7. wiredrob

wiredrob Member

Patrick,

How would you Lexol condition shoes that are already nicely (Saphir) polished? I find the Lexol doesn't soak in on well polished shoes and instead just sits on top like an oily mess.

BTW I did Lexol lighter colored shoes first instead of Reno after Reno ruined the finish on a walnut pair of nice Santoni loafers.

8. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Agreed. 100%. I have been using these products before any of these vendors had them. They are in the business to sell products, that's it. David, I don't know if you are consciously, or unconsciously reading past what I have been saying or not (am I the only once seeing this???), but I don't really think some convoluted process using Saphir is the answer to my problems. Maybe you are just upset you spent all kinds of money on these products and are in denial. I'm not saying they are bad, they just have to be used the right way. The right way, based on my experience is not what Kirby says. I know he has videos, I know he soaks up oils on pieces of paper for "oohs and ahhs" But I had been using all of their products like everybody says, longer than most of these people who are pushing it. I'm saying it's not the best. You say that you want to help me restore the luster of my shoes. That's not the issue. Are they shiny? You bet! Shiny as hell. But they are also cracking. Once again, I repeat myself, shiny doesn't mean healthy! Plus, there is almost nothing that suggests putting cream polish, and wax polish on shoes is the same as conditioning. It anything over polishing is damaging to shoes. Now, can I send my shoes to B Nelson and have them patched up like poorsod? You bet. But in the future I don't want to resort to this in such a short amount of time. Will I continue to use Saphir products? You bet, just not in flex areas, minus some cream polish sparingly once in a while. But dammit, that vamp is not getting renovateur, it is getting Lexol.

@wiredrob I'm not using Lexol on heavily polished areas like the toe and heel counters, that will get the beloved renovateur and wax polish. The vamp should never have that much polish on it that the Lexol can't be absorbed well. Also, it is easy to overuse Lexol. I find that only about a fingernail size amount is more than enough for the vamp with gentile pressure. You will see that it picks up a lot of the wax on the shoe.

Another thing in the Lexol interviews with the makers have said is that they spent a lot of time perfecting a way to make the product get where it is supposed to and stay there without migration. This is important and something I wondered about a lot. If you take a rag and soak it with water and then ring it out, what happens? Water pours out of it. I have always thought about this with flexing and leather conditioners. As soon as leather is flexed does this same thing happen? I think it does, which is another reason why I like their approach of keeping the oils where they are applied.

Another facet to this saga is the fact that I live in NYC. I walk a lot. I don't shuffle from the house, to a car, and car to office. I walk a half a mile to the subway station, probably another half a mile during lunchtime, half a mile home. Weekends I do a lot of walking. I definitely use my shoes. These aren't babied as far as use. Many will say, well then there it is! I don't buy it because, again my oldest least reno treated shoes are the ones that have lasted. Why? I think it is the "renovateur-only-as-conditioner" approach, which a lot of people like and use. Dammit, David if you say I need to strip the vamp and apply dubbin twice a year I might blow my brains out. That is bullshit if you ask me. vigorously applying an acetone based concoction to the vamp of your shoe only to apply grease and then re-build a finish is absurd. More harm than good. One step forward, two steps back.

9. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

At what point does persistent repetition of an otherwise valid post regarding one individual's experience with a particular product transition into trolling? 5, 10, 20? Not sure what the number is, but I feel we are getting close.

10. David Copeland

David Copeland Senior member

Originally from Newport Beach - Now living in West
    In the last week I have been recommending to also speak to Nick Valenti who has been in the primary business of refinishing and repairing shoes for generations. If he sells products, they are an add-on convenience to customers such as yourself who live in New York.

I suggest you get a phone or in store opinion before you proceed. And you may find there is no need to strip the vamp at all, or apply anything twice a year. Nick is a Master Craftsman - right in the heart of New York. Just call him, tell him what's up, and ask if your remedy of using Lexol on the vamp and another product elsewhere - is an idea that Nick has experience in! In fact, I would begin using Lexol on the vamp of my shoes if you find Nick has a second recommended thought on it.

[​IMG]
    http://www.bnelsonshoes.com/testimonials.asp

And Patrick, on a side note I enjoyed reading about your walking in New York City. As I recall, there are ten blocks to every mile in NYC - and aside from the daily cultural entertainment of soaking in the comings and goings of other folks and their styles - it's good to keep the calories in check. My first experience was walking Park Avenue and experiencing the Village (in the 60's when Dylan was playing). My walking days now are a bit different, in that the comings and goings are of the local animal and fowl inhabitants of the Rocky Mountains.

My wife has never been to New York - and I would love to take her - maybe even look you up for a meet, if you're so inclined. But beware, I will be wearing my Walnut Daltons in Montana style. [ grin ]

David

PS: To a few of the other members: The name of this topic is The Official Shoe Care Thread. If remaining silent about recommending a Master Craftsman or a retail outlet where the owner can offer his own personal experience - is an approach to avoid an alleged reputation of a Troll, then I suspect I must suffer through the bait by praying, "Father, forgive them for they know not what they do."

11. patrickBOOTH

David, I know Nick very well. Have for years. I saw him about two weeks ago in fact. I will ask him about the Lexol idea, but the fact that many others already approve of the stuff, shoemakers, and leatherworkers plus my experience it blows my mind that you aren't in the slightest intrigued by the idea that Reno is not the ne plus ultra.

12. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

it's pretty clear David is a troll. he only first tried Saphir products just about a week ago:

from - http://www.styleforum.net/t/331032/...-wolverine-1000-mile-boots/0_100#post_6303480

in that one week he has posted tauting Saphir products all over SF no less than 15 times.

either he works for them, for hangar project, or is in fact simply trolling.

and just a week and a half ago, he didn't even know what 'shell' was:

from - http://www.styleforum.net/t/141581/allen-edmonds-appreciation-thread/19400_100#post_6300862

13. Kwaker

Kwaker Senior member

The Veblens are considered to be the casual cousin to the Kenmoor ... that said, the leather may be less amenable to shining.
    But if you are otherwise happy with the Veblens, STP is offering up the brown and grey models for $110.
    Using one of their numerous coupon codes, I got the grey pair for $72 + $.99 shipping.

14. patrickBOOTH

So strange...

15. oleronning

oleronning Member

Hi!

I am pretty new to this forum, and compared to many of you here, I'm pretty new to the whole expensive shoe thing. But in the last couple of years I have developed a huge interest for shoes, and I want to take care of them the best way I can. In the beginning I was just using a random leather balsam and wax polish for my shoes, but after I joined this forum I have been presented to a whole new world. But the discussion the last days is really fucking with my mind.

I have purchased some Saphir products because after a lot of reading it seems like this is an overall very good brand. My shining process now contains the following steps:
    1. Clean shoes with horse hair brush
    2. Apply Renovator
    3. Let it dry
    4. Brush excess cream
    5. Apply shoe cream
    6. Buff the shoe
    7. Shine with wax/water
    8. Apply stain protector spray

I do this maybe twice a month for the shoes I use the most. For these shoes, I apply renovator maybe twice a week after wear.

Because I don't know a lot of different shoe polish brands, Saphir is a safe choice because there are a lot of guides online. Is this approach any good or should i change anything? If I am able to draw any conclusion from the above discussion, I should change Renovato for Lexol on the wamp. Will mye earlier mentioned approach be any better then?

If so: are there any people from Europe here? I can't seem to find any places except amazon that sells Lexol, and if this is a very much recommended product, I'm very interested in getting some.

As a newbie here I will thank you for very inspiring discussions that already has taught me tons about shoe care.

--
    Ole

16. patrickBOOTH

I personally think the above is too much and too often. Really shoes need not be conditioned and polished so frequently. The twice a month figure is ok that you mention, however reno on your shoes twice a week I think is too much. A good brushing is enough to get back lost luster and get dust and such out of the creases. I thin you only really need Lexol on the vamp, let dry, buff, then shoe cream lightly over the vamp and wax on the toe and heel counters. I would use the reno on the heel counters and toe before the waxing also. Again, this is only one man's opinion.

17. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

18. oleronning

oleronning Member

I really appreciate your answer. After reading page upon page here I realise that there are people here much more experienced than I, so the only reason I shared my thoughts on shoe care was to get feedback. For me it's not just an opinion, its a very good advice :) Thank you!

19. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

Patrick Booth I for one very much appreciate your bringing this to the forum and I would hope others will consider your experience for what it is rather than just engaging in some kind of competitive beat down . I know I will . While I have not had any problems with my calf shoes that are maintained only with Saphir products I do apply a small amount of dubbin to the vamps evey couple years . This seems to me to be somewhat in line with your use of Lexol

20. ScottW

ScottW Senior member

I have no idea what retail chains you guys have in Europe, but as a general suggestion it might be worth a look at your local automotive parts & accessories stores. Here in the US Lexol is marketed specifically for care of leather upholstery in vehicles and can be found at places like Auto Zone, Advance Auto, Pep Boys, etc. It can also be found in the automotive section of large general merchandise stores such as Wal-Mart.