**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Stirling

Stirling Senior member

Excuse me?

If you can't distinguish your ass from your elbow, it's you who needs to get out troll.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  2. Hype1234

Hype1234 Senior member

Hi Everyone,

Can I please get some feedback as to what can/should be done to care for these Mcnairy boots. I just got them yesterday, and I have no idea what to do to keep them looking new aside from now wearing them in the rain or getting them dirty. Thank you!

http://www.norsestore.com/commodity/14631

Sorry, I would have embedded a picture, but I couldn't get it off the site and this is the only place that carries them.

3. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

I saw this and thought some of you might like it:

4. SHS

SHS Senior member

5. sjmin209

sjmin209 Senior member

6. Crat

Crat Senior member

Removing water stains

Stains
    [​IMG]

Shoes+(saddle) soap
    [​IMG]

Water; soak for a couple of hours until all the leather is wet through and through.
    [​IMG]

Dry the shoes stuffed with old newspaper. Change the paper regularly.
    [​IMG]

Polish
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  7. Stirling

Stirling Senior member

No doubt you'll receive the usual praise (deservedly so, for the effort) on the outcome, but I am a little bothered by the above step.

Is it necessary to soak the shoes for a couple of hours?

Would the following not work equally as well, but subject the leather to less water & ipso facto damage: Using a damp sponge/cloth lather the saddle soap on the shoes, leave the lather to dry and then wipe off with a clean cloth and condition, polish as appropriate.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  8. Khanivore

Khanivore New Member

Hello all, fascinating thread. I have learned loads. I bought Saphir Renomat, Renovateur, cremes and waxes. I have stripped off some of the kiwi parade polish from my shoes, treated with renovateur, applied 3 layers of creme and 3 layers of wax polish. The shoes look great but I want them shinier. I plan to have my first ever attempt at bulling the toe caps later tonight. After years of abusing my shoes by never polishing them I have learned how calming, relaxing and satisfying it is to polish shoes!

Does what I have done above sound about right? Is it right to say I should only bull the toecap? For the rest of the shoe should i simply buff it with a slightly damp sheepskin cloth?

I also have a brand new pair of shoes which have a highly polished finish - not patent, just highly glossed. I treated these with renovateur too and applied the wax (skipping the creme). After three coats of wax polish I find that the shoes are less polished than they were originally, although they are still reasonably shiny. I have noticed a thing layer of wax (swirls) are still on the shoes. What should I do to these shoes?

Thanks in advance for your help.
    K

9. Crat

Crat Senior member

stirling, I have tried that and agree it would be better (less bad). In my experience however the leather doesn't dry up as evenly when you treat it with a moist cloth.

10. Stirling

Stirling Senior member

Yep, you're right about the cloth, try a sponge works much better imo.

11. kirbya

kirbya Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Anyone have experience with which Saphir polish works best with the Allen Edmonds Merlot Finish? I have a customer who tried the Mahogany with less than desirable results...

12. Stirling

Stirling Senior member

Not surprised bordeaux is best and can be alternated 3:1 with black polish to maintain appearance.

13. Karembeu

Karembeu Active Member

Gents,

Am I just being paranoid or is this normal for wear on the soles? I'm out here in Boston on a business trip and the floor was somewhat wet with gravel that was unavoidable. As I was relaxing in my chair, I noticed how my soles now looked and am concerned with the deep dents due to the pebbles and the water/fluid outline.

[​IMG]

Thanks!

14. CanGren

CanGren Active Member

Should be fine. I live in a small French town where the sidewalks are less than desirable and my shoes look like that too.

15. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

Karembeu

That is normal. I remember being slightly shocked when it first happened to me. I thought it meant that the sole would wear down very quickly. However, you'll find that after the first few wearings the sole condition will hardly change for a long time and will last much longer than you'd think.