1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. EnsitMike

EnsitMike Active Member

You, sir, rock [​IMG]

Many thanks!

2. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

Nicely stated chogall.

While this is all very true and this likely goes without saying, I can't help but to issue a warning that performing any or all of the above steps shouldn't be conducted by an amateur on their good shoes. As ensitmike and others indicated, practice on some old shoes.

3. EnsitMike

EnsitMike Active Member

Good advice. I went ahead and gave it a shot tonight. Now giving cirage style patina a try, I can say dye is much easier and more effective as well. Smoother blending and more consistent coverage are the main benefits. The cirage patina was very quick though. A plus if time is an issue.

[​IMG]

4. Lear

Lear Senior member

One for den and one for study. To buff or not to buff, it's a question innit.

Thanks Chogall. I've cut & pasted that. My search into edge finishing leads me to believe the professionals use a lump of very hard wax + heat from the spinning buffer to burnish this onto the edge. I'll leave it at that, as I don't really know what I'm talking about here. Guess DWF11 would be the man to provide accurate details.

:nodding: Great for a first attempt. Still waiting to take the leap myself.

Lear

5. EnsitMike

EnsitMike Active Member

I've looked into burnishing before. I found that wood and metal hand-irons are normally used. The trick is heat, which is done by friction with the wood, or by holding the iron over an open flame and running it across the leather. When the leather reaches a certain point, it begins to slick, and the tool begins to glide as the leather is burned or "burnished." It resembles a waxed surface but isn't always. Though, burnishing wax as well as lacquer are both used at times. You can tell by an overly waxy finish. Shoes, traditionally, are done with irons from what I've found.

[​IMG]

They make wood drill bits that are more consumer friendly and easy to use. I've seen long wooden pieces used, but as you can imagine it takes elbow grease to reach the burnishing threshold of heat. These usually seem to be the crafter approach.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
  6. archangle13

archangle13 Senior member

Is it safe to use Saphir reno, Saphir cream and then Kiwi wax together for shoes?

7. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

No, this will result in spontaneous combustion.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  8. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

all things in moderation . the wax only if a high shine is desired

9. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

If? What is this if of which you speak?

10. archangle13

archangle13 Senior member

I don't mind flaming-hot shoes. [​IMG]

Let me clarify. Is it advisable to use Saphir and Kiwi products in combination? That would mean Saphir reno, Saphir cream, and then Kiwi wax.

I only have the Saphir reno and cream now, and I would love to go for a shine without having to import more Saphir considering where I am. The only wax available in my desert is Kiwi.

11. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

archangle13 - I am no expert, but I have combined products from different brands many times without any negative effects whatsoever. It may be that staying withing the same brand family will optimize results, but I'd be surprised if there were any chance of harm whatsoever from laying a coat of Kiwi wax polish on top of Saphir cream.

12. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

No Ill effects whatsoever

Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
  13. Al in Philly

Al in Philly Senior member

It's common knowledge that mixing of Saphir products and Kiwi products makes a deadly poison.

14. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

15. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

interesting video. i think he is using way too many products for shell cordovan, no?:

for leather, this seems like it would be a good treatment though.

i'm curious about the dye, can this be done to shell cordovan effectively? anything I would need to be aware of in attempting it?

16. chogall

chogall Senior member

Burnishing is how leather workers 'finish' the edges of belt, bags, soles, etc, and is done by heat + wax to burn the wax into leather fiber.

Burnishing in the shoe making sense is to use heat via high speed buffing and wax polish to darken the color of the leather. See this AA Crack site for the effect of burnishing. Don't know any youtube link that shows burnishing.
    http://www.aacrack.co.uk/default.asp?contentID=617

Need DWFII, Posh or Bengle S to shine some lights on the issue.

17. Northampton Novice

Northampton Novice Senior member

Correct. I believe you are talking about yankee wax (not the candles!) it is invariably used with either a hot iron or buffer disc. I have used it it cold, without a disc and then applied heat with great results
    If you need any further help/assistance/product let me know but allow a few days for a response as I'm in the midst of my Cordwainer finals!

18. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

i have used various lubricants for burnishing ( im speaking in regards to leather edges on belts , wallets , shoe soles etc i know nothing of toe caps and uppers)water,saddle soap wax even spit they all work .my research however shows that serious leather workers seem to prefer a mixture of 50/50 bees wax and parrafin machine buffer applied . you
    should understand that burnishing is an art there is no correct way to do it only the method that produces.the desired result . only the basics are constant, friction produced heat
    , lubricant and leather . take a raw leather edge dampen it then rub it as hard and fast as you can with a piece of scrap denim youll see what its all about . extrapolate from there

19. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

you know ozzy this sounds weird but i love to spit shine shoes and look at the results but i dont like the way they look when i wear them. I guess im too informal but then i live in a nor cal beach town people got dress flip flops around here. they think my shell boots boots are some kind of martian lizard hide

20. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

Hahaaaa! Wear flip flops and put a shine on your toes! That'll learn em! I love to bull my shoes but then walk funny as I'm scared to scuff the finish. Its very sad