1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. benhour

benhour Senior member

the video is from a waterproofer spray!! the product he is asking for is recoloring the suede!!

probably you can find it at kirbys hanger project!! he used to have it

2. JackFlash

JackFlash Senior member

This came up a while back; there has been some issues importing to the US. I believe that Hanger Project should have it, as well as Invulner, by the end of the month.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
  3. gyasih

gyasih Senior member

Spoke to soon about PS replacing them, since they were on sale and they are no longer in stock, they want to give me a credit for the purchase price. Oh well, until the next sale! I am not spending an additional $400 to replace them.

I need to locate the address to PS Corporate, that is crazy not to offer a comparable replacement.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
  4. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

Arseholes!

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
  5. Hill

Hill Senior member

Anyone? If there's a thread that's better suited for this question I would appreciate a recommendation on that instead.

6. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

I think they're similar. I recall reading in this thread someone had explained the differences. You may want to search in this thread to see if you could find that post.

7. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

Google is your friend
    Montana Pitch Blend, which differs from Obenauf’s LP in that it contains mink oil and amber pine pitch. I haven’t used any of these, but Leffot tells me that Montana Pitch Blend leaves less of a waxy feel and is less likely to darken leather.

Link to the full article: http://putthison.com/post/30802926417/how-to-take-care-of-rugged-boots-i-spent

8. benhour

benhour Senior member

totally agree with that!!

9. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

I don't think it will lighten the shoe. It can't get lighter from the cream as the cream does not take any color away.

10. Hill

Hill Senior member

Thanks guys

11. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

12. Al in Philly

Al in Philly Senior member

13. Lear

Lear Senior member

14. JimC

JimC Member

Hello gents,

Can anyone tell me what I might have done to cause the spots on my RM Williams?

The boots are about ten years old and have until recently been exposed to nothing more than RM Williams leather conditioner and RM Williams chestnut polish. Apart from getting darker I've never had any problems.

I recently applied some Renovateur (after having had great success with both that and some cream polish on my black RMs) and I then applied brown Church's wax.

This is when the trouble started. No matter what I do now I can't seem to avoid getting these spots. I live in a very dry climate so it's not from rain, or salt for that matter. And I'm pretty sure it's not from my poor aim either.

I have ordered some Renomat and some brown (in a suitable shade) cream and intend starting over, but can any of you give me a clue as to why this might have happened?

Cheers,

James
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. EnsitMike

EnsitMike Active Member

Can someone give some quick insight as to the difference of cirage and glaçage.

From what I gather, glaçage is what we know as a spit shine or mirror shine in english, however I have heard that the cirage is an art in itself. At first, I was under the impression that cirage was the use of cream polish rather than wax polish, but all of the videos I have seen on it show people applying wax, though just with much less of a finish relative to a spitshine.

That just had me curious as to why people call it an art in itself when compared to the glaçage.

16. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

I think cirage is just the waxing in itself, whereas glaçage is the name of a mirror shine. You need to cirage to accomplish a glaçage?

17. EnsitMike

EnsitMike Active Member

That would actually make a lot of sense in the context that I've seen the words used. Thanks for the help, that cleared a lot of confusion.

18. archangle13

archangle13 Senior member

Does anyone use leather conditioner on the inside of the shoes? Especially under the vamp, where the majority of the creases are.

19. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

No coz I'm not mad! [​IMG]

20. Lear

Lear Senior member

@ OzzyJones

Your taking part in this thread says it all :D

@ JimC

I mentioned this spotty matter some while back in the big RM thread. Have a pair of claret coloured craftsman boots in yearling. They've been covered in Reno + burgundy soft + hard Saphir. All is fine until there's a slight drizzle, whereupon the pink spots appear. Even minuscule drops of water from hand washing will cause the same. No such problem on other RM boots. This is not simply the concern of an obsessive, but very noticeable to all. The spots only seem to disappear with a light coating of Reno.

RM boots are great. I'm not suggesting it's the boot at fault. In fact, I don't know what I'm suggesting; just my own experience with Saphir on claret yearling. Maybe a smarter person like Crat could explain. I know he spends many a night over an open cauldron, brewing up waxy potions.

Could it be sprinkles of water from your hand washing? It can take a few minutes after wetting for the spots to show.

Lear