Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.
NOBD question on wax edge dressing, do you brush it off? or just apply it and leave it?
I left it to dry for a few minutes and then brushed it, or rather 'polished' it with a cotton cloth.
Now this happend to me while I took out my shoetrees inside the shoes. Something that could be fixed or it's a whatever thing sincce it's inside the shoe?
I only had mold on the soles of a pair of western boots that I treated with "mink oil" and I kept them in the garage for awhile; dark+damp=mold. The "mink oil" was not quite true mink and I threw it away.
Never had mold inside a pair of shoes, though.
Not much you can do about it, can you? Just make sure you push/pull the trees gently from now on.
Any advice? Since it's inside maybe it's not something to think about, but somehow I feel it's quit disturbing..
I found wax not that effective in covering up wear.
When it is really bad I use Fiebing's Sole and Heel dressing, and also an Avel product; will restore the edge and heel to the factory finish.
If it is really bad, i sand it with emery paper then burnisg with a piece of hardwood before applying the dressing.
On the mold inside the shoes... One thing to try might be to find a small black light... the smaller the better, especially if you can fit it into the shoe. UV kills mold and shouldn't hurt the leather.
Hard to get.
I think fumigation would be a lot easier; put the shoes inside a large cardboard box and burn some Sulphur in a tin can inside that box and leave the shoes in for a few hours; SO2 will kill the mold.
Hard to get?
Thanks, not sure how effective they are. We use UV sources in the water treatment plants to sterilize potable water but they are high intensity. Fwiw, I would stick with the sulphur as it is proven.
Sulphur... That should be cheaper. But will the SO2 penetrate the leather? I have my doubts that UV light will get very far in the leather, either. It seems to me the issue is not the visible mold but the "roots" which will re-grow.
100grams of sulphur ordered... Since I like this better than the lysol treatment, lets see if it is able to penetrate the leather. Any advice on making the fumigation chamber? I'm guessing a cardboard box large enough to fit the shoes and not be lit on fire by a fire inside the box and duct-taped seams. Should I wrap a plastic tarp around the box? Seems more airtight than a cardboard box.
And, how should I light the sulphur on fire - do I need to mix an accelerant (I have some lighter fluid)? I also have beeswax but it seems that making a sulphur candle will take a day by itself to properly cool.
Since this will only cost me about $4, it seems the best way to go since the cheapest 2-Phenylphenol I've found is ~$40 for a sample.
Fire will not sustain without oxygen. air tight is not an option.
Burning sulphur smells like ass - do this outside.
You might add some mesquite chips for additional flavor.
This is one kooky experiment, me likey!
We certainly took a left turn in the thread. Im with you, looking forward to reading the results. Way more interesting than the good ole days of a new surly "expert" every few weeks .
Separate names with a comma.