• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jcell

Reaction score
Can some one help me out with my Wolverine 1000 mile Tan Addisons.

I just want the top one to look like the bottom one. Been like that since day one. Maybe gotten a little worse.

Gilmour

Reaction score
I am reading the full thread I am only up to page 44 ATM I dont no if I have missed it but a Quick question please.

With new shoes is 1 coat of Reno enough or is 2 or 3 required ??

Head is full of info from this wonderfull Site

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am reading the full thread I am only up to page 44 ATM I dont no if I have missed it but a Quick question please.

With new shoes is 1 coat of Reno enough or is 2 or 3 required ??

Head is full of info from this wonderfull Site

This has been debated... I think it depends on how long the shoe has been sitting in a box. If it's a MTO that was just made for you and shipped to you you might not need any. If it's a NOS that's been sitting in a box for 10 years, I'd give it some Lexol a couple times then a coat of Reno.

Gilmour

Reaction score
This has been debated... I think it depends on how long the shoe has been sitting in a box. If it's a MTO that was just made for you and shipped to you you might not need any. If it's a NOS that's been sitting in a box for 10 years, I'd give it some Lexol a couple times then a coat of Reno.

I bought them online and have no idea how long they have been in their store, ounce my Reno arrives I think I shall give one coat and see how that goes.

glenjay

Reaction score

I would go over the vamp with some renomat, then condition and polish.

I'm sorry patrick but I am confused by your statement. Just a few posts ago you stated "If you want your shoes to last you shouldn't maintain a "shine" on the vamp of your shoe." so I am not sure what you mean when you tell this person to polish the vamp of their boot. Do you mean to say brush the vamp but don't use shoe polish, or use shoe polish but don't brush it? Since all shoe polish includes wax, brushing it will produce a shine (which is one of the intended purposes of the polish).

In regard to the boots in question, I would agree with grendel that it looks like the finish has worn off one boot and that perhaps adding some cream polish that is the color of the boot may help to some degree.

JBMarce21

Reaction score
are lasted shoe trees necessary? I have been using generic cedar shoe trees, purchased for $14 a piece at nordstrom rack. they seem to fit pretty well, but they are obviously not made for the shoes. these are for carmina's and c&j benchgrades

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't been wearing nice shoes long enough to be able to comment on their effect, but I think as long as they're straightening out creasing in the vamp and preventing the sole from curling up while wet shoes dry, it should be fine.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

are lasted shoe trees necessary? I have been using generic cedar shoe trees, purchased for $14 a piece at nordstrom rack. they seem to fit pretty well, but they are obviously not made for the shoes. these are for carmina's and c&j benchgrades

I use generic trees in my shell Carminas. Shell is so thick and strong that it seems that simply keeping the sole from curling is enough. (Meaning the shell doesn't really ever 'restretch' around the last very specifically.

But calf leather shoes might benefit from trees that are lasted. At least in terms of keeping their shape and looking top notch. I invested in the C&J trees for all my calf models from them and I'm glad I did.

As far as just general durability - generic trees are just fine.

miketoc

Reaction score
I need some help here, and I'm pretty new at shoe care. I've got an old pair of chesters second hand that are fairly beat. They look fine after some reno and wax polish, though they feel a bit sticky, but every time I go out in them when it's raining or wet they get all these white blotches. Tonight I did a few applications/wipe-downs with renovateur, and they've gotten even stickier.

I'm thinking there's lots of old buildup on them that I should remove. Think that makes sense? I'm going to order Reno'Mat and try to clean these things up and start from the base, but I wanted to run it by some people who knew what they were doing before I went for that option. Thoughts? I know it will be a lot of work but it seems worth it to get these things restored.

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I need some help here, and I'm pretty new at shoe care. I've got an old pair of chesters second hand that are fairly beat. They look fine after some reno and wax polish, though they feel a bit sticky, but every time I go out in them when it's raining or wet they get all these white blotches. Tonight I did a few applications/wipe-downs with renovateur, and they've gotten even stickier.
I'm thinking there's lots of old buildup on them that I should remove. Think that makes sense? I'm going to order Reno'Mat and try to clean these things up and start from the base, but I wanted to run it by some people who knew what they were doing before I went for that option. Thoughts? I know it will be a lot of work but it seems worth it to get these things restored.

Yes, clean them. Sounds like buildup.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, clean them. Sounds like buildup. 

Agreed.

Sounds like the reno is disolving the top layers of polish as it should but because there is so much build up it is leaving behind a soft layer of partially removed polish underneath.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads