**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

Is suede allowed?

[​IMG]

I used the right one: RÃ[​IMG]novateur, colour 05 - marron foncÃ[​IMG] (dark brown).

Sprayed the left shoe, brushed the right one (against the nap).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Both sprayed. The left on already dried a little and is a bit lighter because of that.

[​IMG]

I'd use gloves. The spray is rather 'painty'. And I'd only use it on dark brown shoes.

[​IMG]

After an hour:

[​IMG]

I used this method to 'repaint' the shoes. Normally I just use a soft brush
    for suede (to get rid of dirt and dust) and I spray them occasionally with
    Saphir Super Invulner - Water-repellent. Here's a picture of the brush
    I use. The spray is similar to the Super Invulner. The polish is for the sole edges.

[​IMG]

When they're really dirty (my 'good shoes' have a luxurious life, so I haven't
    used it yet on my them), I use shampoo. Yes, they're sneakers ánd Hugo
    Boss... I'm not sure what this leather is called, but it is suede-ish.

Before (crappy shoe trees... and too lazy to remove the laces):

[​IMG]

Shampoo and sponge (used the yellow side...):

[​IMG]

Bottom one treated, other one not yet:

[​IMG]

Untreated:

[​IMG]

Treated:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

2. Unregistered

Unregistered Senior member

Brilliant thread idea! Subscribed!

Thanks for the pictures guys! Keep them coming!

Where do you guys get your Saphir products? I'm looking for some after seeing the results and I'd love to know a good place to get them that hopefully ships to Canada!

3. tesuquegolfer

tesuquegolfer Senior member

Great thread! I recently got my first pair of AE Fifth Aves and started looking at my old shoes and how bad some of them looked. Well, I was contemplating buying some new casual shoes to replace some that were dry and lifeless looking. I decided to hit them with the AE Walnut polish I got for my AEs, and WOW what a difference. I am now thinking about resoling and keeping them for a while. The point is that taking good care of your shoes can make them look great and worth wearing for a long time. I will try some of the suggestions and products in this thread. Thanks.

4. tesuquegolfer

tesuquegolfer Senior member

I have a pair of J&M Cellini black cap toes with a soft deer skin on part of the shoe that is very soft to the touch. i recently applied a cream polish and felt like they weren't as soft. Is there anyway to keep them soft but prevent them from drying out?

5. Chips

Chips Senior member

Beautiful. Reminds me of those "shoes with character" that Ron Rider posted about years ago.

Both after:
    [​IMG]

6. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

wtf are u talking about

you have shoes that were used for 8 months with no cream/wax. Obviously they are going to look like crap.

then someone applies some (well any would do) shoe care products and lo and behold they look better. Magic

Well it does not take much effort does it. If you look at the difficult items you see they are still fcked, in particular one shoe is much lighter in the vamp etc. Looks like this guy always kept one foot in the shade

get real before u get posting

Dude this is a shoe care thread, not a lets vent and whine about pics,
    obviously shoes look better after taking care of them,
    obviously some shoes will still be beat up, but will look better...
    this is advice on how to take better care and bring out the best of your shoes...

7. BlackShoes

BlackShoes Senior member

I don't have pictures to post at the moment, but will relate how utterly shit I found the Church's wax polish to be. It goes on okay, and leaves a medium glossy shine after buffing with a horsehair brush, but any attempt at a mirror shine is rendered useless as the polish will ball up, even if using very little. Worse than this, the polish will similarly ball up and crack on the creased portion of the upper, meaning the vamp of the shoes, by day's end is covered in an ugly shoe dandruff. Saphir immediately solved both problems.

8. entrero

entrero Senior member

This guy [​IMG]

9. Unregistered

Unregistered Senior member

I am utterly amazed at the lack of class and simple general crassness that certain individuals so eloquently display on a fora otherwise filled with the finest of gentlemen.

10. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

I am utterly amazed at the lack of class and simple general crassness that certain individuals so eloquently display on a fora otherwise filled with the finest of gentlemen.

You're preaching to the choir! Ridiculous isn't it?

11. MrG

MrG Senior member

Another shout out to the OP for a great thread idea.

I've taken embarassingly poor care of some of my shoes; maybe this thread will inspire me to go give them some TLC (and to not be so lazy in the future).

wtf are u talking about

you have shoes that were used for 8 months with no cream/wax. Obviously they are going to look like crap.

then someone applies some (well any would do) shoe care products and lo and behold they look better. Magic

Well it does not take much effort does it. If you look at the difficult items you see they are still fcked, in particular one shoe is much lighter in the vamp etc. Looks like this guy always kept one foot in the shade

get real before u get posting

Jeez, dude, calm thyself. If you don't care about the thread that's cool, but there's no reason to barge in, freak out, and be nasty to everyone.

12. Mudhiker

Mudhiker Senior member

Well, thankfully we have the "ignore" function. And I don't doubt that I'm on a few people's ignore list. [​IMG]

13. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

14. entrero

entrero Senior member

^ welcome to my ignore list!

good idea tnx.

15. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

Osborn - I like to follow the Golden Rule in life. I recommend doing the same.