1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. joiji

joiji Senior member

I don't think its excess wax per se, but it is wax reacting to the water. I'd suggest giving the shoes a good buff with a cloth after brushing, and do this again if the problem persists in the rain. I believe this is a similar problem to having 'welts' appear on waxed shoes when water droplets fall on them.

2. irelentless

irelentless Member

bump

3. SHS

SHS Senior member

It's a good idea to condition/polish the shoes when you get them. No special technique with the buffing brushes. Go crazy! There is much advice in this thread about polishing. Also in the archives on glenjay's blog: http://oldleathershoe.com/wordpress/?m=201208

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  4. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Never had this happen with my shoes. However, if they brush off, I assume it's just oil/wax/residue?

5. grendel

grendel Senior member

If you're not planning on bringing them up to a high shine I'd suggest something like Obenauf's Leather Oil. It'll moisturize the leather and protect from water, etc.

6. Crat

Crat Senior member

Do you prefer Obenauf's oil to LP?

7. grendel

grendel Senior member

I use both, but he might be having problems with too much wax already, so I suggested the oil.

8. Chase H

Chase H Senior member

Venetian shoe cream: can it be used like reno for calfskin shoes as well?

9. SoGent

SoGent Senior member

what's good for water spots on shell ?

10. Xancatrius

Xancatrius Senior member

Hi guys, just a 17 year old kiddo who would like to form an appreciation for the finer things in life, shoe shining and polishing included.

2 very honest questions, I hope you guys would be kind enough to oblige me on this.

1 : For a complete average joe with no knowledge of shoe shining whatsoever, could anybody provide the steps as to shining of shoes? I've read about 20 pages of this thread and heard terms like buff polish and wax being thrown about but I have no idea what they are. I'm not looking to antique or mirror polish my shoes, just would like to know how to polish my shoes such that the creasing is minimized, the leather maintains healthy and there is just a nice shine to it.

2. I just recently purchased a pair of dark brown Bottega loafers. Luck had it that I would be caught in a torrential downpour. The shoes seemed fine at first but recently I have noticed stressing on certain parts of the loafer, "wrinkles" would be the word that comes to mind. Any idea how to restore the leather? Also, due to the loafers having no actual sole attached to the upper, just rubber sticking out at the bottom, the rest being leather, the bottom front part actually got discolored and slightly scratched due to friction I think. Based on my very shallow understanding, would wax polish be able to cover it up? And also, is there a different way as to polish such loafers as opposed to normal dress shoes?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Much thanks in advance.

11. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Do you mean the small welts? Immediately after I brushed and used Reno just to smoothen it out. They eventually go away (at least to the point I do not notice them).

12. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

If you are referring to the welts as mentioned previously, people have used the back of a spoon or a deer bone to smooth those out too.

13. grendel

grendel Senior member

And lots of brushing... lots of brushing is usually the answer for shell

14. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

I feel like 95% of the time brushing is the answer for shell.

15. SoGent

SoGent Senior member

thanks to Dr, Winston & grendel . . . . going to try boning RenoV & a touch of cordovan creme then copious brushing i guess
    after searching & getting an idea of why the welts appear the bone appears to be the best choice

16. 454Casull

454Casull Senior member

What is the consensus on an economical conditioner that does not darken leather whatsoever? I'm not sure I want to jump the gun on Renovateur at ~$20 a jar.

Is Bick 4 as good as everyone else claims it is?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  17. jvc44

jvc44 Senior member

Meltonian leather balm works well

18. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

I used to use this when it was a cream color. I recently saw that they are now white so they must have changed their formula. It was a good cream but Saphir is definitely noticeably much better. I also use AE's cleaner/conditioner for my foul-weather leather shoes.

19. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

I used to think this but finally bought some Saphir Reno. Yes, it's expensive but it is a very good product. The thing is, you really use only a very little and I'm surprised at how long the first jar I bought is lasting. It's not like you're going through a jar every month or two, at least forme, anyhow.

20. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Welcome young one.

Your best simple bet is Meltonian cream polish in a shade to match your shoes (or just slightly lighter).

From your description of the sole it sounds like you bought 'driving shoes' these are not going to be terribly durable, they are not designed for heavy wear.

As for the wrinkles - they happen - shoe trees, kept in the shoe at all times that you are not wearing them will minimize them.