1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. jcb9

jcb9 Senior member

In my experience, cordovan does not shine as well as calf. I have seen some pictures of a nice shine on cordovan shoes, but I have not been able to replicate that using the same method I use on my calf shoes.

2. irelentless

irelentless Member

There is so much stuff in this thread, I don't know what to do for my shoes. I just purchased these Allen Edmonds loafers, and want to know the best way to maintain the new look and how to care for them. What are some products that I should buy? Would a cloth, AE condition, and AE polish be enough or what else should I get? Should I purchase a shoe tree, if so what is a good cheap one? How often should I be cleaning them? They are expensive so I just want to make sure I take care of them right and preserve the new look.

[​IMG]

3. justinkapur

justinkapur Senior member

look up the mac method

4. jvc44

jvc44 Senior member

I've tried it, doesn't work with these boots. I am wondering if wax will work!thanjs

5. azumi

azumi Senior member

If the Saphir Reno Matt was too strong, what do you think if I would use the Saphir Saddle Soap as an alternative, or the Saphir Cleaning Soap (which is more mild than the Reno Matt)?
    And how to use the Nappa leather Balm on Box calf leather shoes? Should I use it before applying Saphir Renovateur and Saphir Polish Cream?

6. azumi

azumi Senior member

Do you mean Saphir Pate de Luxe Wax Polish?

7. grendel

grendel Senior member

Look up the macarthur method for shell

It absolutely will work, but it takes a lot of time and elbow grease.

Adding a bit of Venetian Cream or Renovateur can bring up a bit more shine, but the main thing is brushing, brushing, brushing. I also like to use the deer bone on my shell to keep the creases from setting in too much.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  8. jvc44

jvc44 Senior member

Mac method works on Alden's not this pair of C and J!

9. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

Both yes and no, it works to a degree but don't get as shiny as mac's. I reccomend you to try the Saphir Cordovan cream, gives my C&J excellent shine!

10. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Non Alden shell can benefit from a very modest amount of product. Personally I really like the Saphir Cordovan Cream in Neutral. It's not really a polish or wax more a conditioner.

11. JL3212

JL3212 Senior member

Hello all, I've learned a lot from this thread and finally have something to post about.

I picked up these AE Sanfords from a thrift store. One side of the shoe had a little cracking, but thought they were worth a few bucks to see if they could be fixed. Can I do anything about these or are they ruined? If so, what should I do? I've already applied conditioner and polish.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for the help.

12. goodlensboy

goodlensboy Senior member

Yes, its the same. High Gloss/ Glacage mentioned on the side of the tin top, and Pate de luxe on the bottom

13. ezlau

ezlau Senior member

I recently got some shoe laces from Saint Crispin's, but they sent me what I assumed were flat laces for boots, which end up being too long for my regular lace-ups. Does anyone have any idea if it is possible to cut it short and have a cobbler or someone crimp the ends back together so they don't fray?

14. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Leather does not heal from cracks. You can fill the cracks and even sand down the high spots and then polish over. But once the fibers are torn they are torn.

15. alexSF

alexSF Senior member

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  16. drakevu

drakevu Well-Known Member

17. azumi

azumi Senior member

Thank you very much. I still don't own any of Saphir's Products, I will buy and try to do the job as well as you did :D

18. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

Gents, is there any reason one shouldn't use saphir cordovan cream on calf?

19. JL3212

JL3212 Senior member

Thanks a lot for the help, Gdot! I really appreciate it.

20. dlind

dlind Senior member

Does anyone know what's happened on the picture?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I notice it after walking around London in the rain/snow/salt for a day, it looks like creases I can't imagine it is.

Does anyone know what happend or how to fix it? I have tried renovateur to nourish the leather and polish+wax to see if it would cover it.