• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I believe he means he'll pass on scuffing the soles before walking outside.

As for treating new shoes, I like to put on a coat of Reno, too. And if I think it might be a little damp outside, Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP on the soles, which takes 48 hours or so to soak in.

to me it wasn't clear that hendrix scuffs them himself, anyway.

rule of thumb: inspect the shoes and see what they need. done. it's no rocket science. there's no "one" answer, imo.

Last edited:

paskaldjay

Reaction score
I dunno, different mindset I guess. I just wanted to make it clear to anyone lurking the thread that saphir is not the only product that will prevent shoes from spontaneous combustion.
+1

Many other European leather care products just works as well as Saphir. But it's funny to realize that in the France, Saphir cost quite the same as Kiwi does in USA :)

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Can anybody comment on the differences between Montana Pitch Blend and Obaneufs? I have been an Obaneufs man for a long time, but just curious about some of the differences in the outcome from using one over another.

TRIALnERROR

Reaction score

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I am pretty sure that most "high-end" polish contains some carnuba as well as beeswax.

glenjay

Reaction score

I purchased a pair of AE Park Ave's today and I have a question regarding polish. Is the premium polish (http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF549_1_40000000001_-1) better than the carnuba wax (http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF652_1_40000000001_-1)? The manager said that the premium polish is "new school" versus the carnuba wax. I admit I am a novice when it comes to shoe care so any further explanation would be greatly appreciated.

The tin (in this case the AE Carnuba) is a paste polish and the tube (AE Premium) is a cream polish.

Paste polish tends to have more wax and less oils, whereas cream polish tends to have less wax and more oils. One is not better than the other, they each serve a purpose.

I use both cream and paste when polishing my shoes. The cream is good for covering scuffs and helps with conditioning the leather to some degree, and is really all you need for a good brush shine glow. If you want to put a mirror/spit/bull shine on the toe (and perhaps the heel counter) you will want to also use paste. You can just use paste if you like, but I fiind that it adds to wax build up if all you want is a brush shine.

On a side note: I do like the AE Premium Polish quite well, but I would never use the sponge applicator directly on my shoes.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those that have grey shoes (i.e., EG's Slate color), what color wax (not creme) do you use? I was thinking neutral since black would significantly darken the color. Is there grey wax polish that I don't know about?

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd go with a gray cream polish.

Tons of colors in Tarrago - I've used a few of these and am happy with them. They are especially dense with pigment. I'd choose a shade or two lighter than the shoes. If they start to get too light you can follow up with a coat of plain 'ol black polish.

here's a link to the Tarrago in a zillion colors.

http://shoeshinekit.com/tashcrpo.html

glenjay

Reaction score
I think dsmivtr was looking specifically for a paste, not a cream. Paste colors are quite limited compared to cream colors.

dsmivtr, why does it need to be a paste? I would use cream, as Gdot suggests, and if you want to bull the toe then use a clear paste.

paskaldjay

Reaction score
Just got these pics, extraordinary mirror Shine by Japanese

Courtesy of ohwyohwyohwy @plaza.rakuten.co.jp

Before & After

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think dsmivtr was looking specifically for a paste, not a cream. Paste colors are quite limited compared to cream colors.
dsmivtr, why does it need to be a paste? I would use cream, as Gdot suggests, and if you want to bull the toe then use a clear paste.

I do use cream but I like the toebox to be slightly glossier (but not mirror-shine). Wax typically does the trick but it does not work as well when I use neurtral wax.

I'd go with a gray cream polish.
Tons of colors in Tarrago - I've used a few of these and am happy with them. They are especially dense with pigment. I'd choose a shade or two lighter than the shoes. If they start to get too light you can follow up with a coat of plain 'ol black polish.
here's a link to the Tarrago in a zillion colors.
http://shoeshinekit.com/tashcrpo.html

Maybe I'll try them out. Just been using Meltonian because they are readily available. They may provide a better gloss.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I do use cream but I like the toebox to be slightly glossier (but not mirror-shine). Wax typically does the trick but it does not work as well when I use neurtral wax.
Maybe I'll try them out. Just been using Meltonian because they are readily available. They may provide a better gloss.

In my experience Meltonian does not have as much pigment in it as Tarrago. This can be to your advantage if you don't wish to add color to the shoes. As for gloss - I see no difference between Tarrago and Meltonian.

Regarding the wax - interesting that you have troubles with the gloss of nuetral wax. I've not had that experience. Brand?

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In my experience Meltonian does not have as much pigment in it as Tarrago. This can be to your advantage if you don't wish to add color to the shoes. As for gloss - I see no difference between Tarrago and Meltonian.
Regarding the wax - interesting that you have troubles with the gloss of nuetral wax. I've not had that experience. Brand?

Just regular Kiwi. It's pretty much done and I have a tin of Saphir wax which I plan to try out. Thanks for the inputs!

mingus2112

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a brick and mortar establishment in Manhattan at which I can buy Saphir products? Hoping to pick up some renovateur while I'm in manhattan at my tailor's tomorrow. Would be nice to have it for the weekend rather than ordering it online. I'll be between Penn Station and 50th street (taking the train into penn and the tailor is over on 5th ave near 50th), but am not afraid to hoof it a little!

-James

kirbya

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Does anyone know of a brick and mortar establishment in Manhattan at which I can buy Saphir products? Hoping to pick up some renovateur while I'm in manhattan at my tailor's tomorrow. Would be nice to have it for the weekend rather than ordering it online. I'll be between Penn Station and 50th street (taking the train into penn and the tailor is over on 5th ave near 50th), but am not afraid to hoof it a little!
-James

Epaulet
Leffot
Possibly B. Nelson's.

Both carry Saphir in Manhattan.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads