• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

florent

Reaction score
I mean, in terms of the types of separations I have had on my shoes, I was easily able to apply glue there; however, the stitching was still intact.
Yeah sure, as long as the stitching is good it's just a cosmetic issue. But broken stitches need a more serious repair or it will quickly deteriorate.

Gustaf

Reaction score
I’m in search of a nice, high quality leather apron and was hoping for some recommendations.

Is this the right place to discuss this, or is there a more appropriate thread for shoe care related gear?

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m in search of a nice, high quality leather apron and was hoping for some recommendations.

Is this the right place to discuss this, or is there a more appropriate thread for shoe care related gear?

Not sure if it's leather, but I think Trenton & Heath sell a quality shining apron. They seem like good guys to support too.

Gustaf

Reaction score
Not sure if it's leather, but I think Trenton & Heath sell a quality shining apron. They seem like good guys to support too.

Thanks. Couldn’t find a website. You know what sales channels they use?

If you want a cheaper leather apron check out Harbor Freights welding apron.

Thanks. I think a welding apron could work really well. I would prefer smooth leather, but that’s an attractive price.

Koratokva

Reaction score
Hi , can a cobbler fix this tear from these Alden?
AAAA (44 of 95).jpeg

marlinspike

Reaction score
Is there a best type of awl to be buying to allow me to set nails in the heel?

CWL317

Reaction score
What causes the inside leather lining of the upper to disintegrate? Is it friction with wear over time? Sweat / moisture with wear? How best to prevent it?

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What causes the inside leather lining of the upper to disintegrate? Is it friction with wear over time? Sweat / moisture with wear? How best to prevent it?

All of the above.

Condition the insides of shoes once a year and keep shoe trees in them when not worn.

CWL317

Reaction score
All of the above.

Condition the insides of shoes once a year and keep shoe trees in them when not worn.
Thanks JFWR for the sage advice as always. I never thought of conditioning the leather on the inside of the shoes - no one ever seems to mention it but it makes sense.

i wonder if a looser fitting shoe is more likely to cause frictional wear than a snug fit?

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks JFWR for the sage advice as always. I never thought of conditioning the leather on the inside of the shoes - no one ever seems to mention it but it makes sense.

i wonder if a looser fitting shoe is more likely to cause frictional wear than a snug fit?

No problem.

If your foot is moving a lot it would likely cause more damage and you're likely to get blisters. So yes, I'd imagine so. You'll notice that most of the wear occurs on the heel where everyone experiences some slippage.

In regards to conditioning: generally shoes only need conditioning about once a year so doing some in and out is always good. I'd actually imagine that conditioning the insides can be slightly more important as the leather constantly gets wet and wet leather loses its moisturizing agents.

If you ever get your shoes really soaked let them dry then condition.

marlinspike

Reaction score
My toddler has decided the shoes she wants to wear are my old baby shoes, which have leather soles (and full leather heel stack lol). However, the soles are totally dried out, like wood. Is there anything I can do to soften 35 year old sole leather other than have it resoled? Renovateur didn't phase it.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads