• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Atemporal

Reaction score
I always buy a pair of shoe trees with every new pair of shoes or boots, so they have them all the time. On the other hand, a never worn pair may not require them, as I haven't seen any store that keeps their footwear with trees, except bespoke lasted ones.

Thanks Mercurio.
I had that case in mind.
At min 1:46 it's explained what I mentioned before ''most of the benefits of shoe trees happen in the next coming hours/days after using the shoes":
Said that, I am not sure if that also applies to a never worn pair that has been stored for years. I don't know if a shoe could get cambered in that case.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi,
A simple question. Is it ok to keep brand new shoes without a shoe tree?
My understanding is that most of the benefits of shoe trees happen in the next coming hours/days after using the shoes. Therefore never worn shoes may not need them -also worn shoes that had the shoe trees on few days after last time used.
I prefer to have the shoe trees on even for brand new shoes but I want to know if I am right.
Thanks in advance.

New shoes are packed with paper, cardboard, and frequently plastic rods to keep shape and avoid warping. Without such support, eventually the shoe will lose good shape.

Goofy

Reaction score
Hi,
My understanding is that most of the benefits of shoe trees happen in the next coming hours/days after using the shoes. Therefore never worn shoes may not need them -also worn shoes that had the shoe trees on few days after last time used.
I prefer to have the shoe trees on even for brand new shoes but I want to know if I am right.
Thanks in advance.
Shoetrees serve two purposes.
The first is to help shoes keep their original shape after being worn.
The second is to absorb moisture and bad orders from the shoe, again after wearing them. Sweat can breakdown leather over time and wooden trees help prevent this.
Plastic trees of course lack this second function.
So your correct. Shoes don’t require trees as long as they haven't been worn and provided they are stored in a maner that doesn’t deform them.

Atemporal

Reaction score
New shoes are packed with paper, cardboard, and frequently plastic rods to keep shape and avoid warping. Without such support, eventually the shoe will lose good shape.

Thanks @JFWR
Basically this doubt came to my mind because I am planning to order a new "backup" pair. I always like to have a pair ready to use -just in case, specially for those unexpected formal occasions when you don't have time to buy a new pair. However, sometimes it happens that they stay in the wardrobe a few years till I use them for first time.
My idea is buying shoe trees also for those "backup" pair but I wanted to hear the opinion of experienced members here. I really appreciate them.

Atemporal

Reaction score
Shoetrees serve two purposes.
The first is to help shoes keep their original shape after being worn.
The second is to absorb moisture and bad orders from the shoe, again after wearing them. Sweat can breakdown leather over time and wooden trees help prevent this.
Plastic trees of course lack this second function.
So your correct. Shoes don’t require trees as long as they haven't been worn and provided they are stored in a maner that doesn’t deform them.
Thanks @Goofy

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks @JFWR
Basically this doubt came to my mind because I am planning to order a new "backup" pair. I always like to have a pair ready to use -just in case, specially for those unexpected formal occasions when you don't have time to buy a new pair. However, sometimes it happens that they stay in the wardrobe a few years till I use them for first time.
My idea is buying shoe trees also for those "backup" pair but I wanted to hear the opinion of experienced members here. I really appreciate them.

Basically, my understanding of the shape of the shoe, without being worn, can become deformed results from two factors:

1. The effect of gravity over time. The shoe must consistently resist gravity and given leather is not especially that rigid, it eventually starts to lose shape.

2. Eventually the sole of the shoe will cause warping so that the toes point upwards.

Shoe trees combat both of these, and it is also why they are packed in the store with paper and cardboard which does the same thing.

Atemporal

Reaction score
Basically, my understanding of the shape of the shoe, without being worn, can become deformed results from two factors:

1. The effect of gravity over time. The shoe must consistently resist gravity and given leather is not especially that rigid, it eventually starts to lose shape.

2. Eventually the sole of the shoe will cause warping so that the toes point upwards.

Shoe trees combat both of these, and it is also why they are packed in the store with paper and cardboard which does the same thing.

Thanks again @JFWR
I never thought about the first factor. Good point.
But it has always worried me the second one.
Just in case, I won't delay too much the purchase of more shoe trees.

florent

Reaction score
Your shoes will be perfectly fine without trees if you don't wear them, even over a long time (except if they are subject to extrem temperature or humidity variations, which could cause the sole to bend)

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys,

A little shoe maintenance on some black shell, nothing special. Beauty of shell, wipe and brush. Question for the group is on the water dispenser. I don’t recall where I got it but it’s a piece of junk. Gets stuck so often that it’s almost unusable. Anyone have any suggestions on where I could get a decent one? I don’t even know what it’s called which makes searching a challenge. Thanks.
DA31F06D-B21E-46EB-A4D2-14DD01E22D02.jpeg

Goofy

Reaction score
Guys,

A little shoe maintenance on some black shell, nothing special. Beauty of shell, wipe and brush. Question for the group is on the water dispenser. I don’t recall where I got it but it’s a piece of junk. Gets stuck so often that it’s almost unusable. Anyone have any suggestions on where I could get a decent one? I don’t even know what it’s called which makes searching a challenge. Thanks.
View attachment 1724992
It’s called a shoe shine water dispenser.
Google will help you on your search.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Thanks in advance.

I don't see why it should be a problem.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think they're on sale. 10% off! so only $4500!

Oh wait, I don't qualify for free shipping, so that brings the price back to $5000.00 :(

Man, Kirby is a great dude, but hot damn does he sell some over priced stuff.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads