1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. alco

alco Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the suggestions!

As Renomat is not readily available in my area, will probably have to try the turpentine.

How about nail polish remover or acetone?

2. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

The problem with turpentine, aceton and nail polish removers is that there is a greater chance of removing the factory finish, which I actually managed to do with some Alfred Sargents. After hours of applying various colors and waxes I managed to get them to look the way I wanted, but IMO the renomat removes what it is supposed to remove while the other solvents have a habit of removing everything; be careful! I know A Fine Pair of Shoes and the Hanger Project ships internationally.

3. Jim Profit

Jim Profit Senior member

Haha then we have something in common :happy:

4. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Overstripping, even if it leaves the die in the shoe but just takes up ALL the wax and the surface dies can make a shoe look pretty 'scalded'. Even after a good bit of new cream and wax polish.

This is why I prefer to use Renovateur or even a soap based product (such as Lexol) or even baby shampoo if I want to be certain to only remove wax. I have a bottle of Renomat - which I guess I will try eventually-but so far it's just sitting in the shoe care supply box waiting to be loved. Perhaps I should take the plunge the next time I simply want to strip a shoe of polish/wax?

5. kwhunter

kwhunter Senior member

I think those are too harsh.
    Don't rub too hard though.

6. Lear

Lear Senior member

Thanks Christian B. Always good to have a recommendation from you. I'll feel less hesitant when that 'stripping the wax' day arrives.

Lear

7. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

And you as well, I often look back at your previous posts for both learning and inspiration. This, for example, should be in the first post.

8. grendel

grendel Senior member

An excellent post to quote.

I'll add that I've had better luck with mixing a little rubbing alcohol in with the water I'm using to dampen the cloth. Oh, and Saphir wax was much much easier for me to get a mirror.

9. unclesam099

unclesam099 Senior member

HELP! I've just had candle wax spilled on my suede Aldens (yes, multiple). One shoe is really bad, two others just have little dots on them. How can I remove the wax?

10. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Freeze the wax. (yes put them in the freezer) Peel away the frozen wax. Brush.

If there is residual staining/oil marking shampoo with baby shampoo.

Unless the candle wax is deeply colored you may be just fine.

11. unclesam099

They went directly into the freezer. I'll give it a shot tomorrow. Thank you!

12. grendel

grendel Senior member

I think now you have to tell us how that happened

13. unclesam099

Obviously the candles were on a dresser in my bedroom near my shoes. I'll leave the rest to you to imagine :p

14. Northampton Novice

Northampton Novice Senior member

Are you sure it's *ahem* candle wax then?:D

15. unclesam099

Ha, yes. Unfortunately, it seems that the wax has done its damage. It was burgandy colored wax on snuff suede. The other two shoes had eraser-sized drops that (mostly) came off after being frozen. I scraped it off the best that I could.

This one shoe is basically ruined, I think.[​IMG]

It's also had grease and pizza on the same spot on the toe. I think that it's somewhat jinxed...

16. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

It is not ruined. The worst case would be that it has to be died dark to cover the stain. But the wax and oil can definitely be removed with time and effort. Now that I see the pictures I can tell you it will take some effort though.

Candle wax will melt off in super hot soapy water. While the suede is wet you should avoid heavy brushing and focus more on dabbing with a clean cloth to remove the wax.

Did you end up with 'fullers earth' when you cleaned that pizza stain? (I seem to remember that episode)

They are good shoes. And will even look good in a more rugged state if that is how they end up. So personally I'd not give up on them.

May I presume the candle is in a 'safe place' now?

17. unclesam099

Ha, yes. The votives are back in their holders and the candles moved away from my shoe rack.

I will see what I can do with shampoo. I'm headed to a leather store this afternoon to pick up some Obenauf's for my Red Wing boots, so I'll see what kind of suede cleaner they have. I know the Kirby Allison has some from Saphir, too.

18. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Those spray leather cleaners are essentially dry cleaning fluid. they won't be very effective until the wax is removed. They will help remove the oily stain part but the wax will repel the cleaner.

Don't know much about the Saphir versions Kirby carries - but I'm sure he could make recommendations for you.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  19. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

back in their holders!?!?!?!?!?!?!

so you WERE playing candle wax games? were you?

:stirpot:

20. gyasih

gyasih Senior member

Leather on my EG Asquith feel a little sticky. I tried renovateur and it still feels a little tacky. Any ideas?