• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While were on questions, is there anyone here who owns a pair of CJ Islay boots who can offer advice on which colour Saphir cream/polish they think is best for the dark brown scotch grain leather?

Dark brown works great on my dark brown scotch grain Pembrokes.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does any of you know the differences between polished binder and bookbinder leather?

They're both corrected grain garbage that shouldn't be sold by good companies, but sadly some still do.

It's basically leather saddened down and coated with some garbage to cover its flaws.

calostro5

Reaction score
They're both corrected grain garbage that shouldn't be sold by good companies, but sadly some still do.

It's basically leather saddened down and coated with some garbage to cover its flaws.
I hate this kind of leather. Why do you buy leather covered by... plastic?
Buy plastic, and save Money.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hate this kind of leather. Why do you buy leather covered by... plastic?
Buy plastic, and save Money.

I agree. It's awful. What's worse: they charge the same prices for garbage leather as people don't know it's crap at some of the English shoe companies.

At least Allen Edmonds got rid of their polished cobbler.

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While were on questions, is there anyone here who owns a pair of CJ Islay boots who can offer advice on which colour Saphir cream/polish they think is best for the dark brown scotch grain leather?

I did just get some dark brown country grain Boston loafers, which I think are a close color match. I went with the Saphir Tobacco/Havana (color #34), which seems to be a perfect match. I've read that the Saphir "Dark Brown" is a really, really dark brown. One other thing that I've noticed is that a good horsehair brush still leaves residue in the grain, which is something that should be even more prominent in the deeper Scotch Grain. I plan on getting a pig bristle brush from Kirby Ellison before the shoes need their next polish.

I've also used some Allen Edmonds brown cream (the true cream polish in the jar not the stuff in the tubes) which worked well also.

Last edited:

rakuskus

Reaction score

I have shoes made from polished binder and bookbinder leather that last for 10 plus years and has been resoled couple of times. It depends on the quality of leather under the coating. That being said, I do have some shoes that broke down only after maybe 20 wears. The leather crack, the colour change, and the shape no longer represent a shoes. I think it's best to know how to identify good quality leather under the coating.

I email several shoemakers and their respond is the same. Bookbinder and polished binder actually are different.

I wear my bookbinder and polished binder leather shoes in rainy days, they are easy to clean and does not need any treatment. Frankly I like the look of them and I think they have a place in my wardrobe.

Chowkin

Reaction score
I email several shoemakers and their respond is the same. Bookbinder and polished binder actually are different.

Could you explain the difference between the two please? Thanks in advance

rakuskus

Reaction score
Could you explain the difference between the two please? Thanks in advance

Some manufacturer are saying that the leather are the same corrected grain and the differences is in the finishing. However Herring Shoes says that the finishing is the same and the differences is the type of leather that they use. Polished leather us corrected grain and bookbinder use the same quality leather as calfskin shoes.

Last edited:

H. E. Pennypacker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t have the Isley boots but do have the Conistons in dark brown scotch, and I wouldn’t hesitate to use Havana 34 or medium brown 37.

uozay

Reaction score
How concerned should one be about heat in a room where you store shoes?

I have my shoes in a loft space, and in the summer months the temp can get high.

Can this dry out and damage the leather shoes?

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How concerned should one be about heat in a room where you store shoes?

I have my shoes in a loft space, and in the summer months the temp can get high.

Can this dry out and damage the leather shoes?

Yes. Leather can dry out in high heat and low humidity.

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those that condition the inside of their shoes, I'd like to tap into your experiences. How often do you do it? Do you use a cotton rag or a small dauber brush to buff off the conditioner? Does it help?

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those that condition the inside of their shoes, I'd like to tap into your experiences. How often do you do it? Do you use a cotton rag or a small dauber brush to buff off the conditioner? Does it help?

I used the toothbrush like dauber and I do it like once a year.

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello gentleman,

I will appreciate your help, yesterday I found a greasy french fry sitting on the vamp of my Cobbler Union beloved Utah Calf chukkas. I notice it 5 minutes after the fry's landing.

I have poured cornstrach for two nights buy the stain remains there. Any recomendation? Should I use a soft solvent like water and alcohol o water and white vinegar? Saddle soap?

Your comments will be highly appreciated.

Utah 2.jpg
Utah 1.jpg

Reactions: CWV

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads