• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(A table. Brushes, lotions, waxes, are on it. Munky looks at them and speaks to himself)
"How weary, stale, flat, and unprofitable
Seem to me all the uses of shoe care!
"
Friends, shoemakers, cobblers
Give me your brushes.
I come to bury them, not to use them.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The shoes men wear live after them
The wax is oft interred with their bones.
So let it be with brushes.

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Munky ... we managed to introduce, in a shoe care thread, a guy who was named "omnium mulierum vir et omnium virorum mulier" ... There's enough to get both banned!
Yours (in academic dissent about brushes), Luigi

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Munky ... we managed to introduce, in a shoe care thread, a guy who was named "omnium mulierum vir et omnium virorum mulier" ... There's enough to get both banned!
Yours (in academic dissent about brushes), Luigi

Fortunately, I don't remember him! We survive to fight another day. Hope you are all well and enjoying life. Yours, Munky.

ctofashion

Reaction score
FFD2A726-3438-4ED9-87C7-D1F893120E64.jpeg

Just picked up this pair of calfskin leather sneakers from Kiton.

Anything I should be doing to maintain them in the best shape possible?

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1620942
Just picked up this pair of calfskin leather sneakers from Kiton.

Anything I should be doing to maintain them in the best shape possible?
I would use Saphir Super Invulmer Spray to protect them:

Super Invulner Spray is a highly-concentrated water repellent containing fluoridated resin. It protects against rain, snow, dirt, grease, food and drink stains. Formulated without silicone, it contains a non-aggressive and non-greasy solvent to avoid damaging or discolouring fragile surfaces. It is suitable for use on the most expensive and delicate materials such as nappa and silk.

Super Invulner Spray can be used on all types of leather including smooth, nappa, box calf (calf skin), veal, suede and nubuck. It is also suitable for cotton, silk and TEX materials.

VeritasAequitas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What product should I use to remove old wax and polish before conditioning and adding new wax and polish?

VeritasAequitas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You really don't need to do this most of the time.

The gentlest remover of old polish is neutral wax used as a rubbing agent.
Two questions: How do you use neutral wax as a rubbing agent? And, will conditioner be able to penetrate older layers of wax without using something to remove it?

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Two questions: How do you use neutral wax as a rubbing agent? And, will conditioner be able to penetrate older layers of wax without using something to remove it?

Put it on wet and rub it in to rub off old wax and pigment. Basically, don't let it dry or gently buff it like polishing, but use it like you would be cleaning something with it.

Yes.

Felixdsm

Reaction score
Hello to everyone,
I recently purchased a pair of used Loake Chesters and I believe I ruined them in an attempt of shoe maintenance.

I just wanted to clean off a big dark spot on the vamp but as I went along I accidentally pulled off more and more of the shoe‘s finish.

Now there‘s a big "blank" spot with no finish which turns dark every time I put any moisture or cream on it. I must have ruined the uppers by using too much acetone.

My idea was to now re-dye the shoe and cover up my mistake but I believe the leather is too damaged for a good looking finish to be applied...

Is anybody able to help out with some advice on what I could try to save these?

Cheers!

Attachments

• 05FF23D0-0A22-42B8-8ABE-A6BE6D983212.jpeg
    05FF23D0-0A22-42B8-8ABE-A6BE6D983212.jpeg
    318 KB · Views: 66

konoyaro

Reaction score
Speaking of German shoe brushes -

If you live in the US are are interested in picking up some shoe brushes (and polish) by Siegol, you can now order from Revito Shoes. Orders over $50 ship free.

If you're unfamiliar with Siegol, @shoegazing posted an article with a brief history a few years back. You can read it here.

I am unaffiliated with any of the above parties but have just placed an order so we'll see how it goes.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello to everyone,
I recently purchased a pair of used Loake Chesters and I believe I ruined them in an attempt of shoe maintenance.

I just wanted to clean off a big dark spot on the vamp but as I went along I accidentally pulled off more and more of the shoe‘s finish.

Now there‘s a big "blank" spot with no finish which turns dark every time I put any moisture or cream on it. I must have ruined the uppers by using too much acetone.

My idea was to now re-dye the shoe and cover up my mistake but I believe the leather is too damaged for a good looking finish to be applied...

Cheers!

You can redye the shoes without trouble at all. You didn't physically corrode the leather, but stripped the dye off it.

Smooth Operator

Reaction score
Hello to everyone,

Cheers!
Which product did you use to clean the shoe? Tried using some high pigment creams yet? Dye would be the last option I would think

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads