• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
In here lawyers do not have to pass through the detectors.
Yeah, I have practiced where we used to use the bar card to get us through. Unfortunately that’s not the case here.
but the local courthouse they don’t make me take my shoes off. Just do the wand. I usually forget to take the cell phone or EarPods or pen out of the pocket anyway so the alarm goes off every time anyway.

CWV

Reaction score
Yeah, I have practiced where we used to use the bar card to get us through. Unfortunately that’s not the case here.
but the local courthouse they don’t make me take my shoes off. Just do the wand. I usually forget to take the cell phone or EarPods or pen out of the pocket anyway so the alarm goes off every time anyway.
Lol

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
Curious if/how anyone breaks in leather soles before wearing for the first time. I have smooth slippery flooring at working and I’d slip with brand new leather soles. Wondering if anyone has tried sandpaper or other techniques.
It’s not complicated. Go outside and walk around. They will scuff sufficiently enough within 5 minutes. You don’t even have to try to scuff them, it will happen.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s not complicated. Go outside and walk around. They will scuff sufficiently enough within 5 minutes. You don’t even have to try to scuff them, it will happen.

Yeah, it really is that simple.

Walk on some hard surfaces (gravel, concrete, etc) and let the soles get scuffed up. At that point, they will become nice and grippy. If you need more grip, walk a bit more.

I find that a 20 minute walk on the street is more than sufficient to give your leather soles excellent grip.

DON'T. CUT. YOUR. SOLES. STEVE. HARVEY. IS. AN. IDIOT.

nevaeh

Reaction score
Yeah, it really is that simple.

Walk on some hard surfaces (gravel, concrete, etc) and let the soles get scuffed up. At that point, they will become nice and grippy. If you need more grip, walk a bit more.

I find that a 20 minute walk on the street is more than sufficient to give your leather soles excellent grip.

DON'T. CUT. YOUR. SOLES. STEVE. HARVEY. IS. AN. IDIOT.

Agreed with @TheChihuahua and @JFWR. Walking on a concrete sidewalk for around 20–30 minutes has always been sufficient for me.

My process: on a dry day, walk carefully from house to sidewalk. Continue walking on that sidewalk for 20–30 minutes. Walk into office, some store, back home—still careful, but slightly less so.

Cutting into the sole seems silly, dangerous, and damaging.

If the original poster is really concerned, have a cobbler add a rubber sole protector.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agreed with @TheChihuahua and @JFWR. Walking on a concrete sidewalk for around 15–20 minutes has always been sufficient for me.

My process: on a dry day, walk carefully from house to sidewalk, paying attention so I don’t slip. Continue walking on that sidewalk for 20–30 minutes. Soles are now ready for general use. Walk into office, some store, back home—still careful, but slightly less so.

Cutting into the sole seems completely silly—probably expected to cause more long-term damage to the sole than provide short-term slip resistance.

If you are really concerned, have a cobbler add a rubber sole protector.

The problem with cutting the soles, I'd imagine, is that you are going to wear down the fibers a lot more as the cuts are going to be substantially deeper than what is necessary to get it grippy. All that is necessary is getting a rough surface, not that there should be gouges within it. The loss of structural integrity is going to cause problems in the long run, and the deep groves will allow water to penetrate the leather much more. Especially as the fiber structure of good, oak-tanned leather soles (like JR) is meant to resist wear by its strength, breaking this structure so harshly is only going to cause bad things to happen.

I generally think that once you get used to wearing leather soles, they usually are just as good as rubber soles on most surfaces. Where you can get in trouble is on wet tile, marble, and ice. Meanwhile, leather soles grip fine in the wet, but getting leather soles excessively wet can often lead to premature degradation of the leather.

I think you're absolutely right that if you just can't seem to get enough grip, then have a cobbler glue on a rubber topy. I personally prefer to avoid this, but it works for many gentlemen, and also does increase the life of a sole substantially.

willyto

Reaction score
My worse experience with wet floor has been with dainite. That stuff is dangerous when the streets are wet. I don't know why Dainite is a thing.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My worse experience with wet floor has been with dainite. That stuff is dangerous when the streets are wet. I don't know why Dainite is a thing.

Can't say I've had the same experience. Dainite works very well in the rain for me.

Boggis

Reaction score
In the wet on smooth hard floors like marble or tile I find Dainite to be pretty slippy. Not sure if it gets better as the studs wear down and you have more sole in contact with the ground, but from a Physics perspective it stands to reason that if the studs are keeping enough of the surface of the sole off the ground you'll have less traction.
Conversely on lawns (which I understand Dainite was originally designed for) they've great traction...

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the wet on smooth hard floors like marble or tile I find Dainite to be pretty slippy. Not sure if it gets better as the studs wear down and you have more sole in contact with the ground, but from a Physics perspective it stands to reason that if the studs are keeping enough of the surface of the sole off the ground you'll have less traction.
Conversely on lawns (which I understand Dainite was originally designed for) they've great traction...

The studs wore down pretty fast for me.

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have got the same experience with all my Dainite soles...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads