• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

JUAN MANUEL

Reaction score
Not a full mirror shine fan. I took it far enough for a slight reflection and some light to bounce off but I pass on glass.
I share your opinion, I am not a mirror shine fan due to personal aesthetic choice and because cracks appear frecuently. Maybe some extra buffing in the toe and heel.

CWL317

Reaction score
Hello 🙂 quick question...
I am considering toe plates for my leather sole shoes. Will they set off security gates, or not?

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am considering toe plates for my leather sole shoes. Will they set off security gates, or not?
Yes. My boots with metal shanks set off alarms, as do my toe tapped shoes. This is why I wear a pair of Allen Edmonds with neither shanks nor taps on them when I go to the airport.

Last edited:

CWL317

Reaction score
Yes. My boots with metal shanks set off alarms, as do my toe tapped shoes. This is why I wear a pair of Allen Edmonds with neither shanks nor taps on them when I go to the airport.
Thanks again, JFWR. Not sure whether to forego them in that case.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks again, JFWR. Not sure whether to forego them in that case.
I usually bring two pairs of shoes with me when I travel. If you frequently pass by security check points, though, it may not be worth it, unless it's somewhere that knows who you are, like say the court house where you work as a lawyer.

JUAN MANUEL

Reaction score
I used to face a similar dilemma. Finally I decided to be more carefull with my socks and using my nice GYW shoes when travelling by plane. Nowadays I don't care walking in socks through security doors.

Monkstraps or loafers are a great alternative.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to face a similar dilemma. Finally I decided to be more carefull with my socks and using my nice GYW shoes when travelling by plane. Nowadays I don't care walking in socks through security doors.

Monkstraps or loafers are a great alternative.
Yeah, always wear socks when you go to the airport.

I have TSA global entry, but if you set off the alarms, they ask you to take your shoes off.

unprocessed

Reaction score
Curious if/how anyone breaks in leather soles before wearing for the first time. I have smooth slippery flooring at working and I’d slip with brand new leather soles. Wondering if anyone has tried sandpaper or other techniques.

marlinspike

Reaction score
Curious if/how anyone breaks in leather soles before wearing for the first time. I have smooth slippery flooring at working and I’d slip with brand new leather soles. Wondering if anyone has tried sandpaper or other techniques.
First two awards just wear them around the house, the first time an hour or two, then most of a day, then move to outside. Go for a walk on a dry day, to work some street grime into the leather. The pressure also toughens the leather, and of course this naturally scuffs them.

Boggis

Reaction score
I just wait for a dry day and go for a short walk outside , 10 minutes is usually enough to ensure they're sufficiently scuffed not to be overly slippy.

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
most good year welted shoes have a metal shank in them that will set off metal detectors anyway.
the metal toe plate is pretty minor compared to the metal shank.

all my shoes set off the metal detectors at the court houses. Oh well. The local court they don’t care and I just pass through.
the federal court, everyone has to take their shoes off anyway.
aiports people have to take their shoes off anyway.
so no big deal. Have to take the shoes off whether I have a shank in them or not.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As much as it pains me to do, if I want to not slip and break my head, I go around the block once or twice on concrete/asphalt streets and scuff 'em up. That results in a grippy surface.

Leather soles without being scuffed up are just too damn slippery otherwise.

CWV

Reaction score
most good year welted shoes have a metal shank in them that will set off metal detectors anyway.
the metal toe plate is pretty minor compared to the metal shank.

all my shoes set off the metal detectors at the court houses. Oh well. The local court they don’t care and I just pass through.
the federal court, everyone has to take their shoes off anyway.
aiports people have to take their shoes off anyway.
so no big deal. Have to take the shoes off whether I have a shank in them or not.
In here lawyers do not have to pass through the detectors.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Threads of Apollo Leather Jackets: Which 2-tone colourway do you like the best?

• Blue

• Red

• Gold

• All of the Above

• None of the Above

Results are only viewable after voting.