• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

marlinspike

Reaction score
My review of the shoes are that they are in quite good shape and look quite nice - and I have the products to be able to "restore" them. The only thing im unsure about is the pilling, as it makes the shoes look really shoddy and im not able to remove them with a brush.

I think ill wait and see if anyone has had the experience of resolving this and if not, ill just turn them over to the local cobbler.

This is going to sound too obvious, but a suede brush with some brass bristles in it doesn't do the job?

efta

Reaction score
This is going to sound too obvious, but a suede brush with some brass bristles in it doesn't do the job?

No, the pilling fibres seems to be attached to the suede still. Took a few closeups (they definitely look better from a distance as well as IRL). I haven't done anything to them yet apart from using a suede brush, but gave up since it did nothing to mend the uneven fibres.

Attachments

• 20210226_150650.jpg
    20210226_150650.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 37
  • 20210226_150731.jpg
    20210226_150731.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 63
  • 20210226_150742.jpg
    20210226_150742.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 87

Black Bear

Reaction score
I just ordered a pair of TLB Artista full brogues as my first "high quality" leather shoes. Now I've got a few "newbie" questions;

Should I treat the shoes before wearing them (after knowing for sure the fit is good, of course)?

The Skolyx website advises to use Saphir Crème 1925 and Pate de Luxe. Is the Pate de Luxe meant for the whole shoe or only the nose and heel, just like you would do with Saphir Mirror Gloss?

CWV

Reaction score
I just ordered a pair of TLB Artista full brogues as my first "high quality" leather shoes. Now I've got a few "newbie" questions;

Should I treat the shoes before wearing them (after knowing for sure the fit is good, of course)?

The Skolyx website advises to use Saphir Crème 1925 and Pate de Luxe. Is the Pate de Luxe meant for the whole shoe or only the nose and heel, just like you would do with Saphir Mirror Gloss?
The need for ore can nditiobibg is devateable. SheSnob just made an article against it. Others say is good because you never know how long it has been siting

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The need for ore can nditiobibg is devateable. SheSnob just made an article against it. Others say is good because you never know how long it has been siting
Yeah it’ll depend how long they’ve been sitting and if they feel dry. I usually throw a little conditioner or more often just some cream on but don’t over do it. Pate de lux or any wax polish you can do however you want (if you use it everywhere don’t try and build up layers everywhere like you would on the toe cap) I usually keep it to the toe and sometimes heel but I prefer a softer shine.

CWV

Reaction score
Yeah it’ll depend how long they’ve been sitting and if they feel dry. I usually throw a little conditioner or more often just some cream on but don’t over do it. Pate de lux or any wax polish you can do however you want (if you use it everywhere don’t try and build up layers everywhere like you would on the toe cap) I usually keep it to the toe and sometimes heel but I prefer a softer shine.
I also prefer softer shine, and no matter how litle wax I use on the flexing points, it always ends up flaking away

Ziqianzhu

Reaction score
I won’t need to wear my formal shoes for next at least five years as I am going to change my job in this summer. Don’t want to sell my collection as I spent quite some time sourcing them. I need some advice on how should I take care of them. There are both new and worn ones. Thanks,

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I won’t need to wear my formal shoes for next at least five years as I am going to change my job in this summer. Don’t want to sell my collection as I spent quite some time sourcing them. I need some advice on how should I take care of them. There are both new and worn ones. Thanks,

Condition them, place them in shoe bags, and put them safely in the closet. Check on them once a year.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, that is what I thought I could do. With you said that, it relieves me!

Just check in on them once a year. Might be worth conditioning them lightly every year or two depending on the humidity level.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just check in on them once a year. Might be worth conditioning them lightly every year or two depending on the humidity level.
I’d add when you check on them do check the sock liner as well while you’re at it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads