• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ZePrez

Reaction score
Thanks guys, i just do shoecare for 3 weeks so work with aceton is a bit too much and risky for me at this level. I'll buy renomat and try it with it. Wish me look because I totally love the other shoe and would like to make them both walkable:)
In my experience, Saphir Renomat is more potent than acetone when it comes to remove finish. A warning, based on very offensive smell alone: I would advise to use in well ventilated area and to immediately follow with good leather treatment such as Bick, Lexol or others. A little goes along way. Do not scrub .. light touch.

marlinspike

Reaction score
I don't know if this qualifies as shoe care or not, but what material upper is best in rain. I had a pair of NSTs made in Horween Hatch grain, but realize now that's a bit of a mistake as I guess the material is aniline and quickly darkens when wet.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know if this qualifies as shoe care or not, but what material upper is best in rain. I had a pair of NSTs made in Horween Hatch grain, but realize now that's a bit of a mistake as I guess the material is aniline and quickly darkens when wet.

Cordovan is naturally water resistant.

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A helpfull addition to my shoecare kit, "Premiun Goat Hair Polishing Brush" from A Fine Pair of Shoes.

Great for the last "hand" for your shoes. I used it in my Church's Grafton in cordovan without any moisturer or cream and had a nice surprise.

IMG_1252.JPG
IMG_1253.JPG
IMG_1254.JPG

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

H. E. Pennypacker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good shoe conditioner that won’t darken the leather too much and adds a decent shine?

I’ve used Saphir and I feel like it’s more of a cleaner. I like the product, but it cleans off any burnishing on the shoe. I’m thinking of getting vsc, any thoughts about it? Any suggestions are appreciated.

I currently use Bick4, but no shine. I rather keep it simple, instead of being technical and having several products.

Also, any thoughts about Pure Polish? I see it on Instagram, but only from influencers.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good shoe conditioner that won’t darken the leather too much and adds a decent shine?

I’ve used Saphir and I feel like it’s more of a cleaner. I like the product, but it cleans off any burnishing on the shoe. I’m thinking of getting vsc, any thoughts about it? Any suggestions are appreciated.

I currently use Bick4, but no shine. I rather keep it simple, instead of being technical and having several products.

Also, any thoughts about Pure Polish? I see it on Instagram, but only from influencers.

If you want conditioning with shine, go with saphir cream polish. Conditioners by themselves don't have the waxes that make for a shine.

I find the pommadier a bit too thick, but it's ideal to condition and polish; if you'd rather go lighter, use the Bdc line from saphir.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of black, Carlos Santos, wholecuts with a fairly narrow toe. I only wear casual clothes these days. Has anyone any experience of wearing casual or semi-casual trousers - or even jeans, with wholecuts? If, so, what colours?

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of black, Carlos Santos, wholecuts with a fairly narrow toe. I only wear casual clothes these days. Has anyone any experience of wearing casual or semi-casual trousers - or even jeans, with wholecuts? If, so, what colours?

I think a smart pair of chinos could pair well with a whole cut. Depends on how ocasual we talking about shirt/jacket wise.

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think there are different kind of wholecuts, some more appropriate than others to be worn with casual trousers or jeans. Probably your black Carlos Santos would be too formal, but I think about other models such as the "Miquel" family of wholecuts by Cobbler Union that would be perfect with very casual jeans as they use a more rounded last and a chunky sole, making them somehow informal.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think there are different kind of wholecuts, some more appropriate than others to be worn with casual trousers or jeans. Probably your black Carlos Santos would be too formal, but I think about other models such as the "Miquel" family of wholecuts by Cobbler Union that would be perfect with very casual jeans as they use a more rounded last and a chunky sole, making them somehow informal.

...A whole cut with giant lug soles?

d51.gifv

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...A whole cut with giant lug soles?

d51.gifv
Why not? In the end, a whole cut is just a plain and simple shoe, without any decoration or complication that can be very formal precisely because of this but can have a different character with a simple change of its sole.

I wonder what would you think about my Romano Martegani oxford shoes, certainly not for formal situations precisely because their "giant lug soles"...

25226504728_610c87617b_b.jpg

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why not? In the end, a whole cut is just a plain and simple shoe, without any decoration or complication that can be very formal precisely because of this but can have a different character with a simple change of its sole.

I wonder what would you think about my Romano Martegani oxford shoes, certainly not for formal situations precisely because their "giant lug soles"...

25226504728_610c87617b_b.jpg

I like lug soles on boots just fine, but something about the formality of any oxford - wholecut or not, but especially the whole cut - paired with the omega casual lug sole strikes me as a chimera.

You could maybe get away with it on a country derby, but even then...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics