• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen,

Am I right in assuming that these are in need of a resole? I believe I am seeing the metal shank coming through the leather here. Am I mistaken?

As you'll notice, on one there is an actual cut where it seems the metal is showing. I assume this means "go get these resoled with all due haste".

IMG_20201116_0911032.jpg

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Need help. Yesterday my GF dropped some liquid on her veg tanned crust sneakers (my gift of course). She doesn’t know if it was water or alcohol, but probably alcohol. She didnt notice until the next day.
I tried brushing and nothing, I put some corn starch in them but with litke hope bc is already dry.
The leather was quite naked bc she didn’t like when i tried polishing them a bit due to some darkening.
Any idea? Wet cloth? Would it darken the sneaker?

Sorry that this has happened, it's very upsetting on veg tanned leather. I dropped hand sanitiser on my new veg tanned shoes, some months ago and mentioned it on here. I tried various things, ranging from water to Renovateur (something I almost never use) to Saphir, neutral cream. I can only report that none of these things did anything to the stains. However, natural veg tanned leather darkens pretty quickly and I am finding that the spots are fading. Also, the leather inevitably picks up other stains and thus the pair get evened up a bit. It is probably best to call it patina! Best wishes, Munky.

CWV

Reaction score
Sorry that this has happened, it's very upsetting on veg tanned leather. I dropped hand sanitiser on my new veg tanned shoes, some months ago and mentioned it on here. I tried various things, ranging from water to Renovateur (something I almost never use) to Saphir, neutral cream. I can only report that none of these things did anything to the stains. However, natural veg tanned leather darkens pretty quickly and I am finding that the spots are fading. Also, the leather inevitably picks up other stains and thus the pair get evened up a bit. It is probably best to call it patina! Best wishes, Munky.
Thanks Munky. I remember reading your story. Do you think that a wet cloth could darken them oernanwntly? I just want to try and do something and in a bit afraid if the tooth paste method

Schweino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Munky. I remember reading your story. Do you think that a wet cloth could darken them oernanwntly? I just want to try and do something and in a bit afraid if the tooth paste method

With stains like that I usually soak the leather with water. Then dry the shoes away from a direct heat source. Works all the time in my case.

CWV

Reaction score
With stains like that I usually soak the leather with water. Then dry the shoes away from a direct heat source. Works all the time in my case.
And by soaking you mean submerging? or runing a wet Cloth all over the shoe? Spot cleaning would leave an uneven color?

Schweino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Run a soaking wet cloth over the shoe until the leather is full of water and evenly colored (darkened). Do not spot clean indeed. If all goes well the stains will dissolve.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, I did wipe them down, with water, with a view to making the leather look a bit more even in colour. Initially, it darkened them a lot - which is to be expected. Once they had dried out, though, they returned to the way they were. The water idea did make the shoes a bit dry and I put another thin layer of neutral cream on them and brushed them. That brightened up the surface but the stains were still there. I can understand your wanting to do something to improve matters but I can only report that I have had to rely on time passing and the leather darkening.

Have a look on the net at some really old veg tanned shoes and you will see that loads of them are very heavily stained. It is the nature of 'natural' veg tanned leather; it absorbs a lot. Keep thinking about the shoes but don't do anything too drastic. Best wishes, Munky.

Reactions: CWV

CWV

Reaction score
Run a soaking wet cloth over the shoe until the leather is full of water and evenly colored (darkened). Do not spot clean indeed. If all goes well the stains will dissolve.

and once they have dried, will They have darkened? I want to give all the info to my GF so she can decide what she wants to do.

Schweino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
and once they have dried, will They have darkened? I want to give all the info to my GF so she can decide what she wants to do.

Never had that happen. Once dried they will be their original color. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to wear shoes when it rains?

Reactions: CWV

CWV

Reaction score
Never had that happen. Once dried they will be their original color. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to wear shoes when it rains?
I thought that could be the reason not to spot clean

marlinspike

Reaction score
I wonder if something like colourlock leather cleaner would work on crust leather. It foams from the dispensing, so it doesn't wet things quite so much, and it really does clean incredibly, but I have only ever used it on car leather.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nope. For now only brushing and corn starch. Have Saphir saddle soap though. How does it interact with veg tanned crust ?

Given how stained it is, I dare say it wouldn't make matters worse. But I've no idea what it'd do to veg tanned crust leather, so don't take this as a recommendation to go ahead. Let's wait.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@CWV With respect, you are probably seeking to many views on this. This may result in your trying all sorts of products and methods on your girlfriend's shoes. What I am sure you won't want to do is make matters worse. It might be time to accept things as they are and allow the shoes to rest and recover a bit. Very best wishes, Munky.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics