• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@JFWR ... The Northampton Factory Ballad.
Your pun is so fine that I forgive you for having altered one of my favourite poems in English! :cheers:

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just an observation. Nick Horween recommends the use of Renovateur on Chromecexel. I used it on my #8 boots. I was surprised by how much colour came off on the cloth I used. It did give the boots a wonderful, deep, shine, though and this was what I was after.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just an observation. Nick Horween recommends the use of Renovateur on Chromecexel. I used it on my #8 boots. I was surprised by how much colour came off on the cloth I used. It did give the boots a wonderful, deep, shine, though and this was what I was after.

Really? Hm.

You know, it's strange Munky, I never have this problem of colour coming off when I use renovateur on calfskin or cordovan. The only colour I've ever taken off has been the removal of polish.

I wonder what I am doing different from you to cause this difference? Might it be something between the leather we purchase? I don't have any CXL leather, but, even when we have the same type of leather, it seems we get different results from the same product.

It does make for a real friggin' nice shine, though, I agree.

Take this for instance:

I had my Park Avenues refurbrished by Allen Edmonds earlier this year (I purchased a pair that was beat up and got it fixed to like-new condition). As part of the refurbishment, they polished the shoes. They did an okay job, but I didn't think it was great, so I put renovateur on it first. Colour came off - moderately - but it was all polish. The finish never saw any colour rubbed from it at all.

Likewise, when I put some renovateur on my shoes that had gotten badly wet (I let them dry for about 5 days) by running through the grass at 4 am on a foggy night drunkenly playing frisbee, it took off some of the polish, but didn't hurt the finish. In fact, it didn't even strip all the polish off, as I still had a low-level mirror shine left over.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@JFWR ... The Northampton Factory Ballad.
Your pun is so fine that I forgive you for having altered one of my favourite poems in English! :cheers:

It is a tremendously beautiful poem. Oscar Wilde was a literary genius.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, @Munky, did you know that neutral polish can be used, by itself, to strip previous polish? You can't rub the finish off with neutral polish, but you can remove old polish through that. Do you think perhaps the polishing element of renovateur is thus taking away some polish, rather than the dye of the leather itself?

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know what the answer is. This was the first time I had put anything on the CXL; they were factory fresh. As I indicated, I am not concerned about it and I got the shine that I was looking for. I really like CXL and Cavalier leathers. Cavalier slight more, I think.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know what the answer is. This was the first time I had put anything on the CXL; they were factory fresh. As I indicated, I am not concerned about it and I got the shine that I was looking for. I really like CXL and Cavalier leathers. Cavalier slight more, I think.

I think I'll invest in a pair soon.

WSB17

Reaction score
He also recommends Venetian Shoe Cream (VSC):

I'm a big fan of Chromexcel, so I experimented with a number of shoe creams.
In my case, VSC seems to give the best results with a nice shine.
Saphir's Greasy leather cream is also widely recommended.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, I know he also recommends those two. I decided to use his other recommended product, Renovateur, because I wanted more of a shine. It did it's job.

takashi78

Reaction score

Just yesterday i used Alden boot cream on my natural cxl PTB.
It went on dull and matte, after letting it sit for about 15mins i brushed and it came back "conditioned".
It did darken the natural cxl shade though.
No polish.

Just brush, boot cream, and brush thats it.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any recommendations for a nice edge dressing for brown sole edges? The Fieblings roll on in brown that also works on rubber looks like baby diarrhea.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any recommendations for a nice edge dressing for brown sole edges? The Fieblings roll on in brown that also works on rubber looks like baby diarrhea.
Saphir make a Renovating cream - Edge dressing. Be careful though, it's permanent. One spot on the body of your shoes and it won't come off. Best wishes, Munky.

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did it the hard way. In a nutshell:
- sand off all the factory finish from sole edge and heel;
- stain them with alcohol based tint;
- wet the leather and let it dry until moist;
- burnish hard with the appropriate shoemaker's tools until dry and nice and smooth;
- liberally apply wax of the same colour;
- burnish again with said tools, heated to almost 100 C°, to melt and push wax into the leather;
- buff with a woollen rag until shiny.
Quite a job, but rewarding as now my sole edges and heels are permanently stained in depth. If a little scuff occurs I just apply some more wax and burnish.

I am in debt with @DWFII as I used as a guide a shoemaking manual, wich he took the chore to scan and publish on "The Honorable Cordwainer Company" website some years ago.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saphir make a Renovating cream - Edge dressing. Be careful though, it's permanent. One spot on the body of your shoes and it won't come off. Best wishes, Munky.

Thank you very much. I'll invest eventually.

Oh wait, is this the same renovating cream as the one used to fill scratches? Because if so, I have that already in brown.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads