• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Please visit ou very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are posted, including the latest, updated, very comprehensive, Styleforum Black Friday Sales List

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Goofy

Reaction score
How long did it take you to get this finish ?
Approximately 90 minutes per pair. From cleaning, stripping, conditioning, recoloring and subsequently shining.
High polishing takes about 15 minutes per shoe.

I find shoe polishing therapeutic. I polished all my shoes during the corona pandemic. My shoe collection has never been in better shape.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Approximately 90 minutes per pair. From cleaning, stripping, conditioning, recoloring and subsequently shining.
High polishing takes about 15 minutes per shoe.

I find shoe polishing therapeutic. I polished all my shoes during the corona pandemic. My shoe collection has never been in better shape.
Respect! My minimalist approach to shoe care could never achieve this in 5 years! Congratulations and best wishes, Munky.

Goofy

Reaction score
Goofy, how many layers of the mirror gloss did you use?
Hi JFWR, I wouldn’t be able to tell you. Dozens likely. My technique is to apply ever increasingly thinner layers of wax, continuously massaging from front to back and left to right, alternating between toe and heel area. Apply moderate pressure at the beginning and ease up as you progress. At the end I’m literally just tapping my finger into the wax, while keeping the cotton shammy moist and cold all along. I work up a shine and keep going until it’s as smooth as a mirror.

Last edited:

JFWR

Reaction score
Hi JFWR, I wouldn’t be able to tell you. Dozens likely. My technique is to apply ever increasingly thinner layers of wax, continuously massaging from front to back and left to right, alternating between toe and heel area. Apply moderate pressure at the beginning and ease up as you progress. At the end I’m literally just tapping my finger into the wax, while keeping the cotton shammy moist and cold all along. I work up a shine and keep going until it’s as smooth as a mirror.
Very impressive. Very very impressive.

nzahir

Reaction score
How do you guys apply conditioner to your shoes? With fingers, dauber, chamois, or gloves?

What about cream or wax?

JFWR

Reaction score
How do you guys apply conditioner to your shoes? With fingers, dauber, chamois, or gloves?

What about cream or wax?
Conditioner is usually applied with my fingers or a dauber. I usually use fingers as my fingers smell nice afterwards.

Cream I use a dauber or a chamois. I recently bought some nice cream daubers and they work splendidly.

Wax: For initial coatings on the whole shoe, I use a dauber. For layer applications, especially to the toe/heel/sole edge, a chamois.

I wear a pair of knit gloves on my left hand to keep it from getting all sorts of polish on it, but my rag/brush/dauber hand (my right) I keep bare, as I can't wrap the cloth around it if I am wearing a glove.

nevaeh

Reaction score

What about cream or wax?
Depends on my mood. Conditioner with an old t-shirt or with fingers. Cream with dauber, old t-shirt, or fingers.

There are many different schools of thought on this. Have you watched any of the polishing videos by:

Kirby Allison

Justin FitzPatrick

Yuya Hasegawa

Permanent Style

Since it seems you are getting into quality shoes, and caring for them, you may benefit from those videos: as you will see, lots of different techniques—none more right than than the other. In fact, your own approach will change as you progress.

Last edited:

nzahir

Reaction score
Thanks guys

Yes I have watched some of Kirby's videos and others

I have been using conditioner with my fingers

I used a cotton cloth/rag for the conditioner. Do you just reuse the same rag/cloth/chamois?

Dauber seems like it is easier to just keep reusing and then for tight edge I can use my finger, but not sure

nevaeh

Reaction score
Thanks guys

Yes I have watched some of Kirby's videos and others

I have been using conditioner with my fingers

I used a cotton cloth/rag for the conditioner. Do you just reuse the same rag/cloth/chamois?

Dauber seems like it is easier to just keep reusing and then for tight edge I can use my finger, but not sure
I use the old t-shirt technique by Justin FitzPatrick and reuse the same cloth many times (at different spots). Works amazingly well, as the wraparound provides a firm grip.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Most Interesting Fashion Collaboration of 2020

• JW Anderson x Uniqlo

• Nigo x Virgil Abloh

• Converse x Midnight Studios

• Rick Owens x Champion

• Barbour x Engineered Garments

• Adidas x Bed JW Ford

• Jordan Brand x Dior

• Billie Eilish x Takashi Murakami

• Lego x Levi's