• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, wondering about storage advice.

I'm moved home, and the only area for storage for my shoes is in a loft room that has a single skylight for roof.

My shoes aren't in direct sunlight but they're still in indirect sunlight. I'm a bit apprehensive about this.

Would it worth getting some sort of blackout curtain rail to section off a part of the room?

(I also have a handful of suits on a rail behind the shoes, is it ok to store them long term in garment bags?

I hardly imagine indirect sunlight is going to cause much damage to the leather. It's pretty hard to keep shoes out of light entirely.

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm moved home, and the only area for storage for my shoes is in a loft room that has a single skylight for roof.

My shoes aren't in direct sunlight but they're still in indirect sunlight. I'm a bit apprehensive about this.

Would it worth getting some sort of blackout curtain rail to section off a part of the room?

(I also have a handful of suits on a rail behind the shoes, is it ok to store them long term in garment bags?
I keep all my shoes and boots in their bags and boxes in a rack from floor to ceiling: no dust, no light and a way to stack and identify them easily.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For the past 10 to 12 years, I have kept all my shoes, on racks, in a small room with a single window. I haven't covered them up. Obviously, some shoes are older than others but, having checked two pairs that I bought about 9 years ago, I can see no fading or other damage. At no time have I thought of organising a different system although I appreciate that different people feel differently about this sort of thing. Put a blind up, if you are still unsure! Best wishes, Munky.

CWV

Reaction score
I keep all my shoes and boots in their bags and boxes in a rack from floor to ceiling: no dust, no light and a way to stack and identify them easily.
My GF presented me with dose boxes for my birthday this year. They are plastic /meh) but convenient

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 55
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 66

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My GF presented me with dose boxes for my birthday this year. They are plastic /meh) but convenient
My system is not as “fancy” as yours but maybe the space usage is more efficient, as they are tightly packed in their original boxes. I can’t get into one single image all boxes, but it gives you an idea on how I do it.

1AD35822-115A-43B2-8EF5-0D1E36E78338.jpeg

CWL317

Reaction score
I am waiting on my first expensive pair of shoes with leather soles. What is the consensus view here on flush toe plates? I don’t understand how they won’t damage the soles when part of the sole is cut out and screws are drilled in to fit them. But connoisseurs seem to recommend them. Should I ask for toe plates to be fitted? Are there any disadvantages? Are they deemed interference with the construction and will manufacturers refuse to accept them for recraft?

florent

Reaction score
It depends on your gait, some people use the front of their soles prematurely, some don't. If you're worried about damaging your shoes, some cobbler are able to glue rubber toe tips, like a Topy but only on the front part and flush to the sole.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My system is not as “fancy” as yours but maybe the space usage is more efficient, as they are tightly packed in their original boxes. I can’t get into one single image all boxes, but it gives you an idea on how I do it.

@CWV My way isn’t fancy, but makes getting at each pair easier. Just used the cheapest Lowe’s plywood, and made cubbies.
80F80C6E-F393-475B-8133-7CA47F1E6AA5.jpeg

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today I took delivery of a pair of beautiful Astorflex Greenflex suede desert boots, as recommended to me by Reiver. At around £100, these are truly great boots. I plan to use an initial spray of Renapur suede protector on them - for various reasons that I don't have space to go into here. I have used Renapur balm, in the past - another product that is worth looking at as a quick fix if you need to shine your (non suede) shoes in a hurry. Astorflex, an Italian firm, make really good shoes and boots and well worth looking into. Renapur products are also worth exploring.

Recently I also got my made-to-order, deep blue, Cavalier leather, desert boots from Crown Northampton. Handmade to order, you can choose from a range of colours, types of leather and so on. They are first class shoes. Cavalier is a very close relative of Chromexcel and has slightly different qualities - a bit firmer and having a deeper but brighter colour, which has the ability to change as they are worn. These were just under £300. One of the products that Horween recommend for their Chromexcel leathers is Saphir Renovateur. I haven't used this for ages but I have a pot and will use it, very occasionally, on these boots. Otherwise a very good brushing will take care of them.

Two pairs of shoes that require only minimal care. If you want the ultimate in minimal care, you can't beat Kudu. But that is another story.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today I took delivery of a pair of beautiful Astorflex Greenflex suede desert boots, as recommended to me by Reiver. At around £100, these are truly great boots. I plan to use an initial spray of Renapur suede protector on them - for various reasons that I don't have space to go into here. I have used Renapur balm, in the past - another product that is worth looking at as a quick fix if you need to shine your (non suede) shoes in a hurry. Astorflex, an Italian firm, make really good shoes and boots and well worth looking into. Renapur products are also worth exploring.

Recently I also got my made-to-order, deep blue, Cavalier leather, desert boots from Crown Northampton. Handmade to order, you can choose from a range of colours, types of leather and so on. They are first class shoes. Cavalier is a very close relative of Chromexcel and has slightly different qualities - a bit firmer and having a deeper but brighter colour, which has the ability to change as they are worn. These were just under £300. One of the products that Horween recommend for their Chromexcel leathers is Saphir Renovateur. I haven't used this for ages but I have a pot and will use it, very occasionally, on these boots. Otherwise a very good brushing will take care of them.

Two pairs of shoes that require only minimal care. If you want the ultimate in minimal care, you can't beat Kudu. But that is another story.

Sounds like a beautiful choice for shoes. You should post pictures once you have the shoes in your possession.

I also find cordovan really easy to care for as you can get away with simply brushing them if you don't want a super high gloss, as they are naturally shiny and more or less impervious to serious damage.

nzahir

Reaction score
I have a tube and a jar of AE cream from almost a decade ago and neither have touched my shoes since I learned more about shoe care. The reason for my apprehension is that AE uses silicone, something that may harm your leather in the long run. However, you might want to ask AE directly about the polish sold now, since their formula could have changed.

For chili, I’d say medium brown for the safe option and tobacco brown if you want to add a little oomph to the shoes.
I was told by their customer support that they do not use Silicone

I can either do 3 things:

1) Use AE shoe cream
2) Use Saphir Medium Brown
3) Use Saphir Natural color

The color is very nice and I do not want to alter it if possible

Any more advice?

nevaeh

Reaction score
I was told by their customer support that they do not use Silicone

I can either do 3 things:

1) Use AE shoe cream
2) Use Saphir Medium Brown
3) Use Saphir Natural color

The color is very nice and I do not want to alter it if possible

Any more advice?

Then use AE’s shoe cream, as I imagine their own product will have the closest match for color.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads