• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stirling

Reaction score
It sure is nothing like the old days, huh?
Like way back in April
biggrin.gif

If you're trying to be funny sonny it didn't work.

Would rather you actually contributed something, think you can manage that?

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

does lexol even work as a cleaner?  why just just turpentine spirit?

Lexol makes several products, including a cleaner/stripper.

I've no experience with using turpentine - but take your word for it.

Gerry

Reaction score
Posted by Wedin "Any advice on cream+polish for C&J Coniston boots?"

Well C&J Tan polish is what I was given and was recommended by the guys in C&J, Jermyn St. However I prefer my Conistons a little darker and have been using saphir medium brown cream with saphir light brown wax polish, using the wax polish primarily on the toe cap.

BTW the boots look a little darker in reality.

Last edited:

Wedin

Reaction score
Gerry.
Do you have a picture of your conistons?
A bit darker might be nice.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're trying to be funny sonny it didn't work.

Would rather you actually contributed something, think you can manage that?

Fail to see any significant difference between before & after, the shoes just appear to have had a simple polish.

This thread is sinking to new lows.

Is this what you mean by actually contributing? Did the thread sink to a new low when a shine didn't meet your standards? I think we hit a new low every few months when someone else (like you) who's just registered pops onto the thread with all the answers. Believe it or not, there were folks here contributing to this thread long before you got here. I've posted my methods and results (some good, some bad) along the way. Most of us who post here regularly have found a way to exchange information without coming across like an ass.

So please...contribute away.

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Fine work! On par with those shoe reviving stands at airports and on city streets if not better!

Indeed, they have been through thorough cleaning and conditioning before applying cream and wax if my advise was followed. :) They're not just smeared with wax and cream to develop the shine.

Last edited:

Stirling

Reaction score
Indeed, they have been through thorough cleaning and conditioning before applying cream and wax if my advise was followed.
smile.gif
They're not just smeared with wax and cream to develop the shine.

Wax and cream is all most shoes really need.

rikod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wax and cream is all most shoes really need. 

and brushing, as much as I despise this poster, he is right. much of the things in this thread are unnecessary imo, lots of fancy stuff, i've been cleaning my shoes for years with just brushing. Cream or wax occasionally and they are all perfect. Maybe damaged or dry out shoes need anything more, or if you wanna paint your shoes with an artificial patina or antiquing. Just go back to the first few pages and you will find everything.

Last edited:

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
and brushing, as much as I despise this poster, he is right. much of the things in this thread are unnecessary imo, lots of fancy stuff, i've been cleaning my shoes for years with just brushing. Cream or wax occasionally and they are all perfect. Maybe damaged or dry out shoes need anything more, or if you wanna paint your shoes with an artificial patina or antiquing. Just go back to the first few pages and you will find everything.

lies. proper shoe care requires a strict regiment using 10 different saphir products and some random stuff with exotic names. crema alpina!

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This I can agree, I rarely use anything else. These shoes were however seconds and you never know what they've been through, better safe than sorry.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads