• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

nevaeh

Reaction score
2. You got too much volume everywhere. I would remove the factory 1/4 insole and put a full insole (you can even try orthopedic one if the arch is very loose). It will help make the shoes a little smaller (orthopedic will reduce 1/2 size easily). It is important to remove the factory 1/4 insole to maintain the same foot height in the heelcap. Otherwise you risk injuries in the long run. I use saphir leather insoles which are very good. If you feel like it's adding too much on the forepart you can peal off the padding on the front part and only leave it on the heel.

Out of curiousity, how does one remove the factory 1/4 insole? Simply yank it out? (That seems like it can do some damage, as there might some glue there, no?) Or is this something best handled by a qualified cobbler?

Sfroide3

Reaction score
Out of curiousity, how does one remove the factory 1/4 insole? Simply yank it out? (That seems like it can do some damage, as there might some glue there, no?) Or is this something best handled by a qualified cobbler?

Just pull slowly and it will peal. Some brands put more glue than others. Under the leather there is a little foam pad/cushion. If you are careful when removing, you can replace the cushion and glue everything back together if you don't like the insole.

TenTriply

Reaction score
Just pull slowly and it will peal. Some brands put more glue than others. Under the leather there is a little foam pad/cushion. If you are careful when removing, you can replace the cushion and glue everything back together if you don't like the insole.

i see many cobblers like Trenton and Heath soak an area in glue dissolver; it makes it far easier to take glued shoe components apart.

Opethian

Reaction score
I just received these on a big fat discount, now I never liked Suede because I could never properly care for it.

These are the Magnanni Suede derby in brown.

What do you experts recommend as a basic maintenance routine?

Attachments

• 20200217_150413.jpg
    20200217_150413.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 41

TenTriply

Reaction score
Trenton and Heath have at least two excellent videos on suede care. Suede generally freaks people out, but these guys take all the mystery out of it. I’m actually looking to buy suede shoes now.

A suede brush will help you fluff up the nap nicely and keep it from matting. I believe they recommend a spray-on water repellent when the shoes are new, as well as other products. I watched Trenton get red wine stains out of a light tan shoe and it was astonishing.

You’ll find the videos easily by searching YouTube. I’m excited for you, and would love to hear what you think of their videos, and how this turns out for you.

Good luck.

—10 Triple EEE

I just received these on a big fat discount, now I never liked Suede because I could never properly care for it.

These are the Magnanni Suede derby in brown.

What do you experts recommend as a basic maintenance routine?

Opethian

Reaction score
Trenton and Heath have at least two excellent videos on suede care. Suede generally freaks people out, but these guys take all the mystery out of it. I’m actually looking to buy suede shoes now.

A suede brush will help you fluff up the nap nicely and keep it from matting. I believe they recommend a spray-on water repellent when the shoes are new, as well as other products. I watched Trenton get red wine stains out of a light tan shoe and it was astonishing.

You’ll find the videos easily by searching YouTube. I’m excited for you, and would love to hear what you think of their videos, and how this turns out for you.

Good luck.

—10 Triple EEE
Thanks a lot for the input.
I'll look them up now.. Cheers

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Any glue recommendations? One of my boots has the heel liner peeling up a bit.

Sfroide3

Reaction score
These have only 10 - 15 wears, is there a way to make the soles look newer, wear has been in dry conditions, but a lot of concrete.

Soles are not very important. What you want to focus is the edges. You can use edge dresser, dye, wax. Even use light sand paper if the edges are in really bad shape before taking care of them. Beside that, your soles look fine. This is the same as car tires. We clean the tires but only use tire dressing on the sides that are visible.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Soles are not very important. What you want to focus is the edges. You can use edge dresser, dye, wax. Even use light sand paper if the edges are in really bad shape before taking care of them. Beside that, your soles look fine. This is the same as car tires. We clean the tires but only use tire dressing on the sides that are visible.
Thank you, was trying to sell these and the person who was interested said they looked "too worn". I think they were looking for a way to back out of a sale.

TenTriply

Reaction score
The first thing I would do is have sole protectors put on the front half of those shoes.

If you feel the remaining exposed, worn sole is unsightly, and you’re willing to pay for it, the cobbler who installs the protectors perhaps could first smooth (sand?) the exposed sole in front of the heel, and spray a nice tan color patina. You may actually be able to learn that yourself.

True, cosmetically the soles are not as vital, but the protectors will add life to the shoe. I have a new pair I’m holding until the sole guards are on. The shoes are too beautiful to add black, so I’m asking my cobbler to find a nice brown rubber material.

They’re not getting worn until this is done.

— TenTriply

These have only 10 - 15 wears, is there a way to make the soles look newer, wear has been in dry conditions, but a lot of concrete. View attachment 1338963

Attachments

• CCFD3A50-72B4-4B54-8DE3-4260A31D201C.jpeg
    CCFD3A50-72B4-4B54-8DE3-4260A31D201C.jpeg
    334.8 KB · Views: 63
  • AD144A89-2A62-4057-BC0F-626845541D06.jpeg
    AD144A89-2A62-4057-BC0F-626845541D06.jpeg
    200.1 KB · Views: 64

TenTriply

Reaction score
Since you’re selling, you may not want to bother with sole guards. You likely won’t recoup the cost, and a buyer who knows shoes will know what they want to do with them.

Thank you, was trying to sell these and the person who was interested said they looked "too worn". I think they were looking for a way to back out of a sale.

CWV

Reaction score
Has anyone tried Cobbler"s Choice products? I’m curious about their conditioner. Is all natural and has some good reviews.

TenTriply

Reaction score
Good question. I’ve seen the brand mentioned and looked it up on Amazon.

I’ve been happy to buy expensive Saphir products to support my new shoe collection (mostly AE). All the shoeficionados on YouTube swear by it, and I want my shoes to last for decades. I shy away from other products.

However, not everyone has that kind of money. I’m helping a few friends learn how to care for their shoes, and not every shoe calls for Saphir, and let’s face it, not everyone will spend that money. But they still need products.

So maybe we should build a list of affordable products that get the job done. Products we know we can recommend.

Anyone want to start the list?

— 10EEE

Has anyone tried Cobbler"s Choice products? I’m curious about their conditioner. Is all natural and has some good reviews.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads