• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shoe care products guide.jpg

At Skolyx we've done a substantial guide to many of Saphir's most popular shoe and leather cleaning products – where we go through which product for which shoe, and when. Could be good to get an overview if you're relatively new into the "shoe nerding". Check it out here.

mookjohnson

Reaction score
There can't be many more ways of saying this. If you are having to take so much stuff off of your own shoes, you have put too much stuff on them. It is an irony that, this being the case, people are still recommending more things to put on them. Frustrated, Munky
Munky, the problem is that sometimes you need to correct mistakes from the past, as P Man stated. For example, I have a pair of old Bruno Magli's (pre-OJ) with fine cracks and shiny spots from old, hard wax applications. And while I later learned the dangers of hard wax applications, the flaws are there nonetheless and need to be removed.

I used Burgol shoe cleaner, which I bought from Shoepassion.com, with great results. It's all natural and can be used on the insides of the shoe as well. However, I cannot find this product anymore, so now I use Saddle Soap which I find less effective at removing old wax.

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Shoe enthusiasts. Recommendation for a London shoe cobbler who can properly resole a goodyear welted shoe (i.e. replace cork and stitch the sole on properly)?

Also need to pick up a good shoe brush locally.

Cheers,

TP

Kobletas

Reaction score
Shoe enthusiasts. Recommendation for a London shoe cobbler who can properly resole a goodyear welted shoe (i.e. replace cork and stitch the sole on properly)?

Also need to pick up a good shoe brush locally.

Cheers,

TP

The cobbler at Chelsea Green Shoe Repairs seems to know his stuff, I go there for re-heels.

Kobletas

Reaction score
Thank you for sharing this resource. What about products like Pommadier and Pate de Luxe? What is the upper limit of using these on shoes that get worn very frequently (almost daily) and are walked for ~10 km on average?

1up

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have some room in the toe box / vamp of this shoe, but vertically, if that makes sense.

The volume of my feet doesn’t quite fill up the shoe, so they feel a touch loose and I tighten the laces quite a bit.

I noticed this strange wrinkling pattern, is it a result of them being tied too tight? Or just normal creasing?

550AA1C5-239A-4F93-8D41-D3C9427FBF91.jpeg

aj2603

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello, Just want to ask a quick question.

I had ordered venetian shoe balm for my Grant Stone Diesel Chromexcel boots. This is the first time i have seen or used it.

The consistency look a bit off to me. Looks like there is a solid mass in the middle (like yogurt) and milk like liquid around it.

I have given a decent shake but it is not doing much.

Can someone tell me of this is normal or do i need to do something else ? Am i missing something ?

IMG_2001.jpg
IMG_2002.jpg
IMG_2003.jpg

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hello, Just want to ask a quick question.

I had ordered venetian shoe balm for my Grant Stone Diesel Chromexcel boots. This is the first time i have seen or used it.

The consistency look a bit off to me. Looks like there is a solid mass in the middle (like yogurt) and milk like liquid around it.

I have given a decent shake but it is not doing much.

Can someone tell me of this is normal or do i need to do something else ? Am i missing something ?

View attachment 1336761 View attachment 1336764 View attachment 1336766
Normal, just shake it a lot before using.

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have some room in the toe box / vamp of this shoe, but vertically, if that makes sense.

The volume of my feet doesn’t quite fill up the shoe, so they feel a touch loose and I tighten the laces quite a bit.

I noticed this strange wrinkling pattern, is it a result of them being tied too tight? Or just normal creasing?

View attachment 1336760

I think the creasing is just due to the extra space on top of your foot.

Doesn't look too excessive though.

Do you have any gap between the laces or is it closed when wearing like in photo? There should be a small gap

Just a thin leather insole can make a difference. I use a Saphir one for one of my pairs and it makes enough difference.

willyto

Reaction score
If he needs to put insoles in the shoes then the shoes don't fit. Better to find a better fitting pair rather than compromise on the comfort and health of the feet.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If he needs to put insoles in the shoes then the shoes don't fit. Better to find a better fitting pair rather than compromise on the comfort and health of the feet.

In an ideal world, you are right. However, feet don't necessarily conform to the sizes that shoes are made in. As a compromise, insoles can be very helpful. I have used them in fairly expensive shoes. Shoemakers differ in their lasts and their sizings. I have quite a few pairs of shoes and some fit very well, some slightly less so and some need insoles. I can live with that. Feet come in very different shapes and sizes. Not to mention the differences between right and left.

We rarely have the opportunity to really work out the fit of the shoes we buy until we have worn them a few times. This puts them beyond their being returned to the shop. What they felt like in the shop - even if our feet were measured there - is no guarantee of what they will feel like later. Feet measured or not, the fact still remains that shoes come in standard sizes and feet do not. You can spot the gross signs of missfit but not the more subtle ones, perhaps.

On the other hand...if you buy a pair of shoes that really do fit well, it might be a good idea to stick to that maker for subsequent buys. This does, of course, have its own limitations in terms of choice and variety.

Sometimes, shoes wear-in to a better fit. This is particularly the case with those that have very stout outsoles. At first, they are like walking on planks of wood but as the sole bends, the fit improves. It may sound counter-intuitive but I have had it happen a few times. Heel slip that occurs with very stout shoes sometimes resolves itself once the soles are a bit more flexible.

Bespoke would be the only real solution to this one. It is an option I would love to have but never will. With very best wishes, Munky.

WSB17

Reaction score
Continuing my experiments with how to best care for CXL leather..
I've always used Saphir Greasy Creme and Venetian Shoe Cream.
But last week I purchased Blackrock Leather N Rich, and gave it a shot on my AE's Higgins Mill.

Very impressed with the results. I only used a little and left it for 2 hours, but it worked quite well.
Did not darken the leather too much, like VSC does, and seemed to nourish the leather very nicely.
Most of the scuffs are gone as well (but this is an older beater pair so more work to be done).

20200215_094437.jpg

20200215_094511.jpg

20200215_100124.jpg

20200215_100150.jpg

nickpapagiorgio

Reaction score
Anyone happen have a shoe tree recommendation for the Bonafe Chukka (74945 last), or a place to send away for resolong Dainite other than B Nelson (nothing against it, just curious if it’s the only game in US)?

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Vamp on the Alden black shell left boot (right side in photo) will not take on a shine, no matter what I do. Being shell I don't want to use a heavy wax which may crack while wearing, however I am getting frustrated. Other boot polishes up just fine. I'm tempted to use some rubbing alcohol to dull the other boot, at least they would be the same then. Any thoughts or ideas?? Product recommendations? I have used Renovateur, Alden Boot cream, Alden Boot polish. Have not tried any Saphir polish as don't have any in Black. Yes the other boot needs a clean up as well, photo was taken after boot 1.
IMG_0897.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics