• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fwiw there are several makers that styleforum recommends different sizing based on the type of shoe. Iirc, some people size up a half size on Vass F last boots vs lace ups and loafers (same last and fitting). I also experienced this with Alden grant last. So it's totally possible that given the shoes to be built on the same last, they would fit differently given the style. Obv this comes down to QA if it's the exact same model like the AS Moores, but in general it's not unheard-of.

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen, forgive me because I sinned ...
I had this pair of Fratelli Rossetti Chelsea boots that I bought long before I came to Styleforum and see the light. I caked them in all sorts of polishes until I realized that even the toughest brushing could do nothing to improve them anymore.
So today I rubbed them with a rag dampened in white spirit until no more gunk came away. I spare you the view of them after such a treatment :eek:
After this I gave them two rounds of Bick4, letting them sit and duly brushing each time. Then a light layer of Herring proprietary brand brown cream, applied with my bare finger and thoroughly brushed. Finally I shined the toes with GlenKaren High Shine Paste.
Here's how they came out :
20190310_161446-1.jpg
20190310_161533-1.jpg
I'm hoping that the outcome somehow mends my misbehavior!
I want to be clear that I have not any interest in the brand. I'm just a shoe lover willing to share with his fellows what he found working.
Have a nice Sunday! Luigi.

saskatoonjay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello Horseman. I would be nervous about using Renomat. I haven't used it because of all the accounts of mistakes made by its application - as reported on this site. I'm not suggesting you can read through the whole site but you might 'drop in' to it, randomly and see what other people say. Someone, above, said that 'the best use of Renomat is not using it'.

I have always maintained, ad nauseam, that it is better to do less, in the shoe care domain, than more. If it was me, I would just do a lot of brushing and use the occasional application of a neutral cream. This is likely to bring off some of the old polish.

My position is that I wouldn't 'experiment' with products that I am nervous about - unless it was on old shoes that I no longer care about - and I haven't got any of those! I do lots of brushing but apply very little product. All good wishes, Munky.
I agree with Munky that simplicity is the way to go. My maternal grandfather made his shoes last his whole life with nothing more than a horsehair brush, wax polish, spit, and elbow grease. I feel decadent, pampered, and a little guilty when I apply Bick 4 and cream polish.

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't 'experiment' with products that I am nervous about - unless it was on old shoes that I no longer care about
You are perfectly right about this Munky ... I experimented on my Chelsea's because they were quite old and badly cared. Of course I wouldn't do something like this on my Moores!
Fond wishes! Luigi.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen, forgive me because I sinned ...
I had this pair of Fratelli Rossetti Chelsea boots that I bought long before I came to Styleforum and see the light. I caked them in all sorts of polishes until I realized that even the toughest brushing could do nothing to improve them anymore.
So today I rubbed them with a rag dampened in white spirit until no more gunk came away. I spare you the view of them after such a treatment :eek:
After this I gave them two rounds of Bick4, letting them sit and duly brushing each time. Then a light layer of Herring proprietary brand brown cream, applied with my bare finger and thoroughly brushed. Finally I shined the toes with GlenKaren High Shine Paste.
Here's how they came out :
View attachment 1141284
View attachment 1141285
I'm hoping that the outcome somehow mends my misbehavior!
I want to be clear that I have not any interest in the brand. I'm just a shoe lover willing to share with his fellows what he found working.
Have a nice Sunday! Luigi.

Those are beautiful, Luigi! Good work! Best wishes, Munky.

aj2603

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bough a a Andres Sendra 11811 Model. Jean Last. Patina Fox.

I am a bit confused as to what colour shoe cream to use.

I am confused between Saphir SAPHIR - MÉDAILLE D'OR in Congac or Light Brown ?

Which one should i go for ??

IMG_0157.JPG
IMG_0159.JPG
IMG_0163.JPG

saskatoonjay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1142385 View attachment 1142386 View attachment 1142387
Those are very pretty shoes. Congratulations! Whatever colour cream you choose, it will turn the whole shoe that colour, right? I assume it will cover the dark burnishing. I’m no expert, but I’d use a neutral polish for as long as possible.

aj2603

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those are very pretty shoes. Congratulations! Whatever colour cream you choose, it will turn the whole shoe that colour, right? I assume it will cover the dark burnishing. I’m no expert, but I’d use a neutral polish for as long as possible.

i am not a fan of neutral polish since it does not cover up the scuffs ...

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1142385 View attachment 1142386 View attachment 1142387

I'm not sure what colour you should go for but it should be something mild. Do not rub the shoes too hard, as colour will probably come off if you do I think that these are made of crust leather. Be careful not to rub off the patination/burnishing. Best wishes, Munky.

aj2603

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what colour you should go for but it should be something mild. Do not rub the shoes too hard, as colour will probably come off if you do I think that these are made of crust leather. Be careful not to rub off the patination/burnishing. Best wishes, Munky.

Thank you for the advice

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the advice

PS. A Fine Pair of Shoes advised me not to use renovating products (such as Renovateur) on hand patinated crust leather shoes but only to use mild, beeswax based cream. I am almost certain that your shoes will be made of crust but it is probably best to check to see whether they are or not. Yours, Munky.

aj2603

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PS. A Fine Pair of Shoes advised me not to use renovating products (such as Renovateur) on hand patinated crust leather shoes but only to use mild, beeswax based cream. I am almost certain that your shoes will be made of crust but it is probably best to check to see whether they are or not. Yours, Munky.

Oh .. I have already used renovateur on them

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads