1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. troika

troika Distinguished Member

My dude, those are all costumes. Military insignias on military relics are costumes. Matrix clothes are for a movie and if you wore them irl you'd be called a school shooter (look it up, it's a meme). Police uniforms are, well, uniforms. This is the same conversation that happens every time a Japanese brand decides to use imagery with vague white nationalism overtones.

I'm sure someone here can answer your technical question of wooden pegged soles, but if you really want "cheap boots for slogging around in" why not pick up some allied service boots instead? Clothing sends a message. Who you support sends a message. Think about what your choices are saying about you.

2. ShoeWho

ShoeWho Senior Member

You would have a point if I was wearing identifiably Nazi gear. Just like other commenters, you're choosing to ignore that I'm talking about a pair of anonymous boots, indistinguishable by most people from a hundred other styles on sale from Frye etc. No message. Nothing going on. Except in your imagination. Why not tell everyone to stop wearing other things the Nazis wore, like camouflage shirts or pea coats or combat jackets or peaked caps?

Here's another idea: pop in to the threads about US flying jackets and M65 combat jackets and tell everyone they're being insensitive to people from the long list of countries invaded by Americans.

I have quite a few camo shirts but I don't own a British DPM one because it reminds me of Bloody Sunday. And I don't have anything associated with the Iraq invasion because it still makes me angry. British Desert Storm camo is the cheapest stuff you can buy - £5 for a top quality shirt. But I don't want to wear it.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019

3. saskatoonjay

saskatoonjay Senior Member

1. You avoid all those items because of the Bloody Sunday or Desert Storm statements they make, but then
    2. You come here to ask specifically about “German WW2 boots”, and then
    3. You pretend you’re not making a statement by spending time and money to make them wearable.

4. Kind-hearted Rascal

Kind-hearted Rascal Member

Hello,

I did my shoe care routine on my new Meermin. Renovateur->Light brown cream->Light brown High gloss wax polish and topped it all of with several coats of mirror gloss at the cap toe until nice and shiny.

Problem is, the shoes are bigger for me, so I have to wear them with aditional insoles fit and when I walk I am guessing the leather at the begining of the cap is flexing/bending a bit, which made the glossy finish crack.

1. How do I remove it now?
    2. Next time I will apply the mirror gloss only towards the tips, if that doesn’t help and they still crack, is my next best bet for highes shine just to spit shine them with gloss wax polish ?

...becouse I am wondering with what are shined for example Bestetti shoes on their product photos? They are glossy as hell all over and I don’t think it cracks when guys actually go for a stroll in them..

Cheers
    IMG_0001.jpg

5. troika

troika Distinguished Member

This.

How do your statements in the last paragraph not follow this logic, as pointed out by everyone on this forum so far:

"A specific type of camo (indistinguishable by most people) is not for me to wear because it reminds me of a specific event that I don't like. I also don't own memorabilia from an unethical conflict because it reminds me of a specific event that I don't like. I forgo cheap options because it reminds me of a specific event that I don't like.

German WW2 boots (being the cheap option even when there are plenty of other options, and even years for this same product), do not remind me of anything distasteful in particular and are totally ok for me to wear. Everyone here is missing my point, and all associations are in their head."

Again: Clothing sends a message. Who you support sends a message. Think about what your choices are saying about you.

6. stephenaf2003

stephenaf2003 Distinguished Member

Awesome posts fellas.

Interesting, and perhaps appropos that the young man undid his own argument in his own last paragraph....smh

7. Munky

Munky Distinguished Member

Thank you, Dapper. I will try to put a package together. With best wishes, Munky.

8. josef1

josef1 Senior Member

Remove the build up on the toe caps with Saphir Renomat (but be gentle and use sparingly).
    After this I would go back from the start with some Renovateur, cream, then hard wax polish.
    Though this time around, take note of the parts where the toe cap bends and keep the high shine to the very tips to avoid cracking.

9. josef1

josef1 Senior Member

Anyone with experience here with Yanko Loafer 955 last sizing? (ordered it half size down from my usual but i'm still worried haha)

Also, what would be the best color to slightly burnish burgundy shoes? Black or dark brown?

10. JohnAAG

JohnAAG Distinguished Member

Nevermind the "message". I just wouldn't want anything touching my body that could have belonged to a Nazi ...

11. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

This is why I never recommend to people "mirror gloss" or "High shine" products over normal wax products. They will be easier to raise a mirror shine, but the percentage of carnauba in them cause the wax to crack and shatter like this without remaining soft and just scuffing.

12. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

@DWFII would be the first person I would ask.

13. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

Not going to get in on this one...

14. Kind-hearted Rascal

Thank you. Makes sense now, I was(am) novice and I was just happy that i did it "right" afther watching Kirby's "how to".
    I guess i will trust the Renomat and use it more carefully, because last time I wanted just to clean my AE with leather soap, shoes ended up like this: https://www.styleforum.net/threads/ae-mcallister-in-merlot-ruined.631596/

15. Kind-hearted Rascal

Thank you and noted, I just hope that the saphir wax polish will produce same enough shine if enough elbow grease applied.

( BTW: I must thank you for your "Third of life crisis" thread, It was an absolute (at times familiar) joy to read and I wish you only the best)