1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Puchases through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Luigi_M

Luigi_M Senior Member

I think I understand. In a nutshell, you value what can be bought less than what must be achieved - and if one looks carefully at the opinons you usually express, there's perfect consistency.
    Again, thank you for all your advices - of which the ones about shoemaking aren't the most important! :cheers:
    Luigi.

2. Munky

Munky Distinguished Member

I have to say that I have never wiped down my shoes with a damp cloth. Both me and my shoes have all survived. Yours truly, Munky.

3. Luigi_M

Luigi_M Senior Member

@Munky , in general neither I do use wet/damp clothes on my shoes.
    It happened me, however, to get on my shoes a stain of well-sugared-coffee :censored: and a damp towel helped me to remove the sticky liquid before it was absorbed into the leather.
    The morale is : if you are such a fool to wear nice shoes while having coffee with ignorant junks, be prepared to "do all that may become a man; Who dares do more is none".
    Best! Luigi.

EDIT - and to put an end to my improper incursions in British literature: @Munky 's wisdom about careful but simple care of shoes, might be so summarized ... "Unnatural deeds Do breed unnatural troubles."

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018

4. bjhofkin

bjhofkin Well-Known Member

Sorry to dredge up an older topic but to back to the question of how to condition CXL…

I've read that neatsfoot oil is the last thing Horween treats CXL with before leaving the tannery. And Saphir's "greasy leather cream" – which is supposedly specifically formulated for chromexcel – is neatsfoot oil–based. Now you're telling me to explicitly avoid neatsfoot oil for CXL? My head hurts!

5. Munky

"Come what come may, time and the shoes run through the roughest day'.

6. AttackoftheMac

AttackoftheMac Member

AF66951A-34A8-46CC-A4B4-BC6996445DBC.jpeg Whenever I wear shoes I get these smudge marks. Even if I’m very careful. Now they do go away with some brushing, but can be annoying when I get them during wear.

Is there anything in the polish process to minimize this? Am I using to much polish/wax ? Not brushing enough?

7. troika

troika Distinguished Member

Question for y'all in relation to the patent leather a few pages back.

My fiancée has these Everlane shoes made from some sort of corrected grain. What should I use to treat them? It's def not patent leather, but could be the same process, maybe just a few less layers of leather removed.

I've treated the loafers with Bick 4 and they seem to be ok, the boots haven't been touched yet. Can I apply a wax polish to them? Is the light shine from renovateur going to stick?

20181105_141456.jpg

8. JE_FR88

JE_FR88 Member

I have another question. My shoe has these little stains, sometimes little dots and sometimes slightly larger. They look a bit like water stains or oil stains, only they don't come out, even after using the Saphir Renomat. I was wondering if any of you guys had experience with this.

Attached Files:

9. JE_FR88

JE_FR88 Member

I apologize if you need to 'download' the picture, it won't let me post it in a different way, unfortunately...

10. EZB

EZB Well-Known Member

I am no expert here, but I am curious if it could be salt from the street or oil from cooking. Do you cook wearing the shoes?

11. JE_FR88

JE_FR88 Member

I don't think I have ever cooked while wearing these particular shoes, no...

12. Munky

I had forgotten about this wax. I have a pair of Sander's Judes - heavy, chocolate grain brogues, in the style of Tricker's Boughtons but much less expensive*. They are solid shoes and very well made. They have a Goodyear welted, Ridgeway rubber sole that kept me upright during last winter's snow. I use the Judes as my weather beaters and they certainly do well in that role. I can't find a mark on them. Oddly, they are sold, by Sander's as 'casual shoes'. One point about the Ridgeway soles, as opposed to Commando soles, is that the former seem not to pick up bits of grit and small stones.

In my overstocked box of old creams and polishes, I found my old pot of Renapur. Renapur Leather Balsam is made from a blend of waxes and oils including beeswax, carnauba wax, avocado oil and jojoba oil. It is almost colourless and need only be used in the tiniest of amounts. My pot is at least 5 years old and still three quarters full. I put in on my Judes and they look beautiful. There is no need to brush after using this balsam. I remember, some years ago, that Benhour wrote about his having used a dab of Renapur across the vamps of his shoes, at some point in his shoe care career.

I will not bore you any further but just to say that this wax has a huge number of applications. I would certainly recommend it in the shoe department as one of a number of useful products.

*The Tricker Boughtons are £395 and the Sander Judes are £265.

Yours truly, Munky.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018

13. TheForeigner

TheForeigner Senior Member

Calling all experts. I have an issue with my EG Berkeleys. It seems that no matter what I do the places where the leather creases stands out like a sore thumb. I thought maybe I’d used a cream too dark on them and I have tried numerous times times to strip them completely, only for the issue to reappear as soon as I take two steps in them. I don’t like how they look and wear them a lot less than I should since they’re a great shoe. Any tips on how to darken the creases? 4F241082-B2E9-445A-9B7F-2012EE728E25.png

14. bilposter

bilposter New Member

That looks a lot like a little too much wax in the vamp. Try stripping the vamp and use cream rather than wax. Wax tends to crack at the creases and produces a light crust.

15. Thilgela

Thilgela Senior Member

Hi gents,

I accidentally spilled some oil from the food onto my shoes. The shoes are crust leather patina’ed.

I immediately used Renomat on the oil spots and removed them. However, the area i treated now look very faded compare to other areas. I tried to use cream polish to recolor the marked area, it looks okay from afar but still significant when look closely.

Any suggestions how I can restore the treated spots

C8804D75-60F1-4536-B29B-C8BC4704D3A8.jpeg 990C6852-5C82-43C1-B999-F6C88660B73C.jpeg