1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Puchases through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Schweino

Schweino Senior Member

Do you also have a picture of the liner at the heel side where the AE brand is printed to see if it goes all the way through to the toe part of the shoe or not? Not sure from the picture above if this is a fully lined insole where the lining has wrinkles or if this is the actual insole itself.

I'm pretty unfamiliar with AE so I don't know if they use fully lined insoles or not.

2. EZB

EZB Well-Known Member

2FEDC54E-6CED-464C-852B-2EF43188D7B8.jpeg
    This is a picture of the heal part and me pulling the arch area

3. Schweino

Schweino Senior Member

Looks like the entire insole is lined and just the liner has wrinkles. Which means the liner can be replaced by a new one (full or half).

Also looks like the insole itself is black instead of natural leather color, does AE use something else than leather for it's insoles?

@DWFII or @Nick V. : care to add you expert opinions?

4. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

I looked at the photo but, as with so many photos, it is hard to be certain what we're actually seeing. my first guess is that it is a sockliner. And in seeing these new photos I am even more inclined to believe that the shoes don't have a true leather insole. Just layers of leather/paperboard and perhaps some neoprene and lining leather.

If any or all of that is true, the sockliner can be pulled and re-cemented such that the wrinkles are eliminated.

5. EZB

EZB Well-Known Member

352D0C12-08CF-460C-A8F9-3772F0D2048F.png Here is a screen shot of the marketing on the innards.

6. Schweino

Schweino Senior Member

Surprised to see that AE uses non-leather insoles and mid soles according to the picture above

7. troika

troika Distinguished Member

Yeah, really strange. Maybe it's only for the more active soles or something?

8. DWFII

^ No surprise warranted.

9. EZB

EZB Well-Known Member

The shoes are super comfortable otherwise. I have a pair of brown and a pair of black ones. They walk better than my 65-last pairs

10. Luigi_M

Luigi_M Senior Member

This is the answer I was expecting from you, provided your lifelong pursuit of excellence as opposed to mere profit.
    To put the matter in a more general way, do you think it would be realistic to imagine a business aiming to achieve some kind of balance between profit and good workmanship? And, if yes, what kind of business would you figure?
    Let's for a moment let fantasy go free, just for the sake of discussion ...
    I think this would provide good food for thought.
    Thank you, Luigi.

11. DWFII

Well, in the first place, my head doesn't work that way.

In the second place it's all relative isn't it? IOW, what is "balance" in this context?

In the third place, what will satisfy anyone's definition of profit? Or good workmanship?

I have made shoes and boots full time for going on fifty years. I own my own house, a late model car, my own shop building, and all my equipment and tools. I have vacationed in Curacao and on the Mexican Riviera. I have a bespoke suit as well as a bespoke kilt (which cost me over $1k). After all that (or maybe despite that), I am fundamentally debt free.

And while none of that is especially impressive,or necessarily attractive to others, it came from "profit." It had to.

Workmanship? Well, I may not be the the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree, but I don't take a backseat to anyone for workmanship. And more importantly, I never have, and never will, quit trying to hone my skills.

Ultimately, and coming back around, what is balance? On one hand, I live well above the poverty line, eat three squares a day. On the other hand, I'm a pretty fair fitter, I do good work, offer exceptional value, and I don't charge for blue sky or the box.

Here's the better question:

"Our portion is not large indeed,
    But then how little do we need!
    For nature's wants are few.
    In this the art of living lies,
    To want no more than may suffice,
    And make that little do. Nathanial Cotton

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018

12. Luigi_M

Luigi_M Senior Member

As often happens, in few verses a whole wealth of wisdom is condensed.
    I must admit that this has always been the concept you want to pass and I for first always miss.
    In one thing I was right though ... you have once more provided food for thought :cheers:.
    BTW, thank you again for your struggle to preserve the concept of 'excellence'
    Fond wishes, Luigi.

13. DWFII

Thing is...and maybe it's just me...I don't take much pride or derive much in the way of satisfaction from all the things I spent my "profit" on. Everyone has to survive and absent the acquisitiveness alluded to in the poem, that's just what it is--survival.

The real "profit", the real value, lies in the sense of achievement, the reaching for things that exceed our grasp--pursuing excellence and knowledge, quality and skill. The learning, the creating, the momentary and elusive (to quote another poem) slippiing of "the surly bonds of earth" to "touch the face of God."

If a person, for lack of understanding, can't or doesn't pursue these (ineffable) things...for their own sake--for the journey and the aspiration...making shoes by hand doesn't make sense. And nothing I say or allude to makes any sense, either.

"Ah, but man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning.

14. apolloali

apolloali Member

So, how necesarry is the step of wiping the shoe clean first? Why is it a thing?

15. saskatoonjay

saskatoonjay Senior Member

You don’t want to apply polish—or any product—on top of dirt or the gravy that dripped from your poutine. Wipe that stuff off.