1. Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Uni/form LA. We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, UNI/FORM LA, a brand focused on improving the clothing you wear everyday. Their elevated essentials are handmade in LA and built for daily wear. Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new thread.

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. saskatoonjay

saskatoonjay Senior Member

Wow, great answer. I need to decide if the uppers are nice enough to warrant such a big job on the insoles. Here’s a pic showing the creases (cracks?):
    View attachment 1042569

2. troika

troika Distinguished Member

I wouldn't...sorry the leather is too far gone. There are far better thrift finds out there (with less wear) if that's what you're after. IMO the best things to put recrafting investment into would be shell. Everything else can be found in substitute form much easier

3. Skanstull

Skanstull Senior Member

I want to try Saphirs high gloss polish to try to achieve a mirror shine - first and foremost on my black shoes I use daily for work, but then also on my brown shoes.

Could I go for Neutral and use that for all shoes, or is Black clearly more suitable for the Black shoes, so I should consider buy that first?

4. troika

troika Distinguished Member

Neutral has worked well for me on both and is versatile. I think the color matched versions will give more depth of color, but it's not necessarily something I care as much about

5. Skanstull

Skanstull Senior Member

Good input, thanks!

6. Luigi_M

Luigi_M Senior Member

I usually like to use shoe cream in the appropriate colour, rather than neutral, but it's just a thing of mine.
    I don't see anything wrong in @troika 's advice!
    Luigi

EDIT : I see now that you were talking about shoe wax, not cream! In this case I too don't mind that much about colour. As a matter of fact, in my struggles with the mirror shine, the GlenKaren wax (which is neutral) has given me the best results until now ...

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018

7. Dandy_dapper

Dandy_dapper Senior Member

They look very nice, I prefer with flat laces too

8. Munky

Munky Distinguished Member

I am thinking about buying a pair of shoes that have veg tanned uppers. How would you care for these? Yours, Munky.

9. vmss

vmss Senior Member

I have two pairs of veg tanned uppers natural and veg tan semi aniline brown. I use conditioning and saphir renovateur for the cognac color and for the brown same process of conditioning but at times polish with brown.

This is tarnsjo veg tan wingtip only used conditioning and saphir renovateur.

20181001_160014.jpg

10. Munky

Munky Distinguished Member

Thank you for this info! It's really helpful. I was dubious about putting any beeswax products on them and Renovateur sounds like a good idea. The description of these shoes suggest that 'over time, they will develop a natural patina'. But I expect this can be said of most shoes! Thanks, again, Munky.

11. DapperAndy

DapperAndy Active Member

@Luigi_M — Does the Pure Polish/GlenKaren High Shine Paste not give the same shine it used to? Or were you referring to availability where you are? We’ve had nothing but good reports thus far. Feel free to let me know. I’d be happy to work with you.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018

12. Luigi_M

Luigi_M Senior Member

... maybe I'm struggling with English as much as I do with mirror shine. I meant that the GlenKaren polish gives me the better results, even if I'm a total dumb at the mirror-do.
    It's not easily available in Italy though.
    I managed to get my tin from a Swedish site, 18 months ago, but now it seems they have run out of it too!

13. Luigi_M

Luigi_M Senior Member

@Munky, I like your idea! Do you have in mind any brand or model?
    With every good wish! Luigi.

14. Dandy_dapper

Dandy_dapper Senior Member

The renovateur is the best way to repair thant kind of leather, good job

15. Ola

Ola New Member

Hello,

starting to get a decent shine on a few pair of BOOTS, but still seeking to get that mirror shine. Anyone knowledgable who has the solidarity/curtesy to make a suggestion on what action to take at this point?

Kind Regards

20181001_224329.jpg

View attachment 1047330