1. Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Atelier Wen We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Atelier Wen focusing on quality mechanical watches proudly made in China.

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. EnglishShoes

EnglishShoes Senior Member

Condition first. Allow to dry and buff off any residue. Then you can apply your cream or wax polish on top.

If you try to apply conditioner over highly polished toe caps, it will not get absorbed. If you used some cream polish on the vamps about a month ago, then conditioner can go straight on as most of the cream would have been brushed off by now in my experience.

2. saskatoonjay

saskatoonjay Senior Member

Thorough answer. Thanks! So we don’t condition shoes that get polished regularly?

3. josef1

josef1 Senior Member

I'm curious, what exactly is this "dusting effect"?

I've been using Saphir Renovateur, cream, and wax for a few years now and never had any problems.
    The renovateur actually creates a great soft sheen even without applying any cream or hard wax after.

4. Sehn82

Sehn82 Member

Yep that's the one. Venetian Shoe Cream

5. sinnedk

sinnedk Stylish Dinosaur

I’ve only ever seen it on a pair of my CCP and idk how often it occurs but other members in this thread have had this occurnace (I asked a few years back). Basically after ou condition you shoes with saphir and walk a bit the crease areas end up having an effect of kinda whitish residue. I think it’s the wax cracking but idk. It’s due to the little wax in saphir Reno.

6. josef1

josef1 Senior Member

Ohh! I see I see. Maybe its the type of leather that its applied on?
    Cause I usually do reno, cream, AND saphirs hard wax all over my shoes (even on the crease areas) whenever I do general care and never encountered any whitish residue.

Hmmm, I wonder whats causing it for you.

7. Munky

Munky Distinguished Member

Sorry, I was a bit sharp in my response. My only excuse is old age.

I associate flat laces with leisure shoes, trainers, sneakers and so on. I think they may be a bit hard when it comes to lacing dress shoes. Also, if you managed to get them tight, when you lace them, you might find it very difficult to undo them. Flat laces tend, I think, to involve a lot of friction. I'm not sure about the aesthetics of flat laces, in dress shoes, but I would stick with round ones. Best wishes, Munky.

8. EnglishShoes

All my Church's came with flat laces which I like enough not to change. My C&J came with thin round laces which I haven't swapped for flat. I tend to replace laces with a similar style. The shoes would look weird to me if I changed the apparent lace thickness.

9. eTrojan

eTrojan Senior Member

I'm partial to flat laces with certain vintage shoes, especially ones from '30s, '40s, and '50s. It's about the shape of the shoe to me. I have a pair of Allen Edmonds spectators (Empire) from the mid- to late-50s that I will use flat laces once I finish restoring them. For me, thin flat laces speak of a time in the distant past.

I'm wearing short wing balmorals today from 1957, but they have waxed round laces because I think it's more appropriate for the shoe -- the shape is very contemporary and doesn't give away its age.

But you may have a different perspective on the aesthetics of flat laces. Maybe it feels more modern or stylish to you. To each his own.

10. sinnedk

sinnedk Stylish Dinosaur

So folks what am I better to go with, bicks4 or Venetian shoe cream for a nice condition and luster? I don’t really wanna buy both.

11. eTrojan

eTrojan Senior Member

If you want it more glossy, VSC. If you like a satin sheen, Bick. That's the difference I see between the two. Most of my calfskin sees Bick; most of my shell and CG see VSC.

12. sinnedk

sinnedk Stylish Dinosaur

Hmm my CCP are horse and more dull so sounds like bicks4.

Ok thanks. I may try both at some point

13. josef1

josef1 Senior Member

Haha no worries Munky! Your contributions are always of value :) I feel the same way with the association to leisure shoes. I do see some flat laces to be too wide that they look like they came from sneakers haha

Interesting take on lace pairing! I can see how these aesthetics would match the flat laces.

Purchasing these Carlos Santos soon and I've been contemplating on flat lacing them.
    0ce1e92b-4160-4e43-8e8a-ee4a6223cfc9.jpg

Yohei Fukuda pulls flat laces off beautifully with his shoes. But then again his sharp chisels and slim waists complements this as well.

6b581a2dab583c5717b23f98fbec061b.jpg

Interesting to see different takes on this and I guess it really boils down to preference and personal style.
    Thanks for all the insights guys!

14. EnglishShoes

I've been using Venetian shoe cream on my CXL boots and I'm reasonably happy with the results.

I've just noticed that the youtube videos that persuaded me to buy the product were actually based on Venetian leather balm.

Are these different products, or just different branding for different markets? Is it worth owning both?

15. Munky

Munky Distinguished Member

I suspect that a lot of the products that are made for shoes are, broadly speaking, as good (or as bad) as each other. I guess that the important thing is that we look after our shoes..oh, and that we don't put too much product on them. I guess, in a blind test, it would be difficult to tell which conditioners, polishes or waxes were used on any given pair of shoes. We are probably talking about very minor differences. Yours, as always, Munky.