**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Thought this was interesting. They propose a slightly different method than most use around here.

It just goes to show you that caring for shoes is simply not that specific - meaning there are so many ways to do it right.

[ATTACHMENT=2791]saintcrispins_shoecare.pdf (52k. pdf file)[/ATTACHMENT]

2. SHS

SHS Senior member

I noticed that Petkov recommends "impregnation" [sic] of shoes with waterproofing spray:

http://petkov.at/informative?lang=en

Last edited: May 19, 2012
  3. goodlensboy

goodlensboy Senior member

Got new dark brown museum calf JL's - and thinking what's best to maintain original finish and color

How about Crema Alpina and light brown Saphir wax

Any first hand experiences welcome

4. Northampton Novice

Northampton Novice Senior member

Didn't realise Crema Alpina was still around, at least not in it's former glory.

5. UglyJoe

UglyJoe Well-Known Member

A question for you shoe care gurus. I have my first "real" pairs of dress shoes on hand, and I've shined them up and they look pretty good. Haven't worn them out yet. However, I have an old pair of leather Birkenstocks (ugly as all hell, but comfortable and safe to wear in my lab environment), and I took the opportunity to clean them up and use them as practice for learning to really shine a pair of shoes.

I pretty much followed the Hanger Project's presidential shoe shine guide: Renomat to strip them down, couple of layers of Renovateur to condition them, a couple of layers of allen edmonds shoe polish (what I had on hand) on the whole shoe, then buffed, a couple layers of Kiwi brown wax (polish) on the whole shoe, then maybe 6 layers of kiwi to bull the toe.

The shoes actually came out looking really nice, a nice mirror on the toe, great success. At first. Today I wore them into the lab, and spilled some water on the toe. The water was there for like 10-15 seconds before I wiped the shoe off, but it left noticeable black spots all over the toe. These spots dried out quickly and disappeared within like 5 minutes. My question is if this is normal for a properly shined shoe, or do I not have enough wax on the shoe to protect them from water? I really don't care too much about the beater Birks, but I don't want to get caught out in the rain or in some other water accident with my good shoes if they aren't ready to go when it comes to water protection. As a side note, the water DID bead up on the shoe when I spilled it on them, but where the beads were was also where the large dark spots were immediately following wiping the shoe off.

Last edited: May 21, 2012
  6. knezz

knezz Senior member

Greetings,

I'm in need of assistance with a Remo Mat issues?

Long version - I bulled a pair of brown double monks with Kiwi brown. The cap toes had hairline fractures on the first wear. My reading said it could be the fit of the shoe (which I doubt as the shoe fits well and there is no creasing on the cap toe - just multiple fractures of the bulling). I read that Saphir bulling usually doesn't fracture but Kiwi would. I don't know how true that is but I decided to start again with Saphir.

I decided to strip the wax off of the shoe with "Reno Mat" which did a good job of removing the old wax. After removing the wax I let the shoes sit for 3 days. I then used two coats of Reno-v. I didn't notice prior to adding the Reno that on cap toe had a few streaks that were darker that the rest of the shoe. It appeared to be leftover was from my previous bulling session. The rest of the shoe / shoes looked as expected - good from the two coats of Reno.

Looking at the few dark streaks on the one cap toe I decided to strip it again. When I did that it appears as though the Reno Mat removed the color. I decided to stop while I was behind as to get opinions of the best way to proceed.

How can I get out of this issue and get the shoes even? So far I have Reno, RenoMat, brown Saphir show cream and brown Saphir shoe wax.

My apologies for the super poor pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

can't say, i prefer it over kiwi..., anyway.

8. UglyJoe

UglyJoe Well-Known Member

Any advice?

9. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Nothing to worry about. moisture is going to go right through a wax job that is thin enough to not crack.

10. Stirling

Stirling Senior member

Just a couple of coats of wax polish are more than enough on a new pair of shoes. Polish does provide some water repellancy as you have discovered, but it does not make leather waterproof. If you wish to protect your shoes from water accidents your only option other than wax polish is to protect your shoes with a waterproofing spray.

11. Stirling

Stirling Senior member

Knezz looks like the dreadful Renomat has stripped some of the finish of your shoes. You could try:

1) To rebuild the finish,using the Saphir shoe cream you have. It may take somewhere between 3-5 coats. Apply them with some resting time between each coat.

or

2) If the above does not provide a satisfactory result, your option is to retouch the shoe with an appropriate colour leather dye. This approach has it's own challenges.

12. tchoy

tchoy Senior member

I have been using the Saint Crispins guide to polishing my shoes and very please with the outcome.

[​IMG]

13. chogall

chogall Senior member

strip the other toe as well so at least they are even between the pair. leave a coat of dark color cream on there, strip off w/ wax polish, then reapply cream/wax as usual. just my amateur $0.02

worst case, shoe dye...

14. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

I concur that the 1st step is to treat the other shoe similarly in order to get them both into the same condition.

As a matter of fact I concur with all of it.

Just don't panic - it's not such a huge deal, or cost to have them stripped and redyed by your local cobbler if your experiment doesn't turn out well.

15. goodlensboy

goodlensboy Senior member

I stocked up while they were still available nearby (around 1 yr ago) :)

Posted test results in this thread (think finding specific info in this single big thread is getting difficult?)