• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

freshstyle

Reaction score
Can leather lotion or shoe cream help with a slight amount of loose grain?

Not a bad case of loose grain but I can see some parts becoming loose as I’m breaking my shoe in.

suitntieguy

Reaction score
Greetings,
I have been upping my boat shoe and loafer game. I am resolved to wear no show socks with the loafers. For the boat shoes, what to guys recommend for a deodorizer so they and my feet don’t smell?
Thanks

Christian GV.

Reaction score
Lol, let's make it very specific so we can get the right answer here. It's a mexican beer, Corona to be exact and no lemon/lime mixed in. :p

This worked for me: Brush, remove most of that fantastic corona with damp cloth, then spray water on another fine cotton cloth and «massage-wash» that area just with water. The idea is to remove the spot by evening it out. Wait till it dries, repeat if needed. Condition with bick4/renovateur, then creme. Hope this helps.

I tried many leather cleaners in a similar case, (except acetone and saphir earth), then water just solved everything. Can’t beat that corona though

josef1

Reaction score
Hi gents!

Any experience/info on sanding shoe trees?

My red cedar trees from Muji came with sand paper and I've never used them up til today. Lightly sanded one of my shoe trees that were around 2 to 3 years old. Color got lighter and texture got rougher (almost how it was when I first bought them). I assume this sands away most of the surface dirt and grime and gives way to a raw surface that would again be best to absorb moisture/odor. I do know that red cedar smell "expires" after months, sanding seemed to have brought some of it back by just a bit. I think I'll be doing this to the rest of my trees to "freshen up" the surface and wood properties.

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hi gents!

Any experience/info on sanding shoe trees?

My red cedar trees from Muji came with sand paper and I've never used them up til today. Lightly sanded one of my shoe trees that were around 2 to 3 years old. Color got lighter and texture got rougher (almost how it was when I first bought them). I assume this sands away most of the surface dirt and grime and gives way to a raw surface that would again be best to absorb moisture/odor. I do know that red cedar smell "expires" after months, sanding seemed to have brought some of it back by just a bit. I think I'll be doing this to the rest of my trees to "freshen up" the surface and wood properties.

Yes a light sanding with fine sandpaper from time to time will ensure that your cedar trees maintain their maximum effectiveness.

Manuhel

Reaction score
Hello,

I just found a nice pair of Alden's on the flee market.

My usual shoes are in the brown colour range so choosing the right Saphir wax colours is not so difficult.
The Alden's come in Burgundy and I would like to develop a deep and heavy Burgundy tone on this pair.

Would you have any recommendations on what Saphir colours to use? I usually use the cream polish in neutral and the wax in the colour of the shoe. Searching for Burgundy care only leads me to care instructions for cordovan shoes.

Thanks,
First time poster, long term reader

IMG_20180620_090219.jpg

Last edited:

Chowkin

Reaction score
Hello,

My usual shoes are in the brown colour range so choosing the right Saphir wax colours is not so difficult.
The Alden's come in Burgundy and I would like to develop a deep and heavy Burgundy tone on this pair.

Would you have any recommendations on what Saphir colours to use? I usually use the cream polish in neutral and the wax in the colour of the shoe. Searching for Burgundy care only leads me to care instructions for cordovan shoes.

Thanks,

View attachment 992921

Saphir offers burgundy cream and wax in its regular as well as Médaille d’Or lines.

To give a darker and richer tone, you can try navy cream

BoydsShoes

Reaction score
Hello,

Thanks,

View attachment 992921

I like mahogany and hermes red, but I like slightly redder tone. You can play with navy also, but it depends if you want it to be closer to the purplish merlot color.

Manuhel

Reaction score
I like mahogany and hermes red, but I like slightly redder tone. You can play with navy also, but it depends if you want it to be closer to the purplish merlot color.

I stripped down the old wax with the Renomat. Found Saphir Burgundy polish cream in the shop around the corner and applied two layers. Letting them dry for 24 hours now. Ordered navy blue wax, but was wondering if it would bring out the red undertones of the Burgundy.

I have mahagony wax. You suggest that would be a better mix? Dark blue probably gives an interesting dark shade to it otherwise, but I am more hoping for some dark Burgundy/ dark oxblood effect. Hope I use the colour names correct.

The purplish merlot probably is what I'm looking for.

Last edited:

BoydsShoes

Reaction score
I stripped down the old wax with the Renomat. Found Saphir Burgundy polish cream in the shop around the corner and applied two layers. Letting them dry for 24 hours now. Ordered navy blue wax, but was wondering if it would bring out the red undertones of the Burgundy.

I have mahagony wax. You suggest that would be a better mix? Dark blue probably gives an interesting dark shade to it otherwise, but I am more hoping for some dark Burgundy/ dark oxblood effect. Hope I use the colour names correct.

The purplish merlot probably is what I'm looking for.

No, I don't know anyone who mixes. Usually you put in a thin coat of cream (one of the redder ones) brush it up so it looks nice, then decide if you want a little more and add a little coat, brush till it looks nice. If you don't think the color is purple enough, think about adding a coat of navy. I really like hermes and mahogany creams, so I think the burgundy polish you have is probably pretty nice.

I don't know if mahogany wax colors as well as mahogany cream (I have both). In fact, if you want, once you are done, you can use the mahogany wax on the toe box and heels and it will look good. You aren't going to make a mistake with this stuff, it all looks good. As I said, I like red, so I use hermes red cream, and then mahogany on the toe box. Doesn't that sound beautiful?

Sushi

Reaction score
Hi All,

I cleaned my chili colored AE shoes with saddle soap and in one spot it looked like the soap got absorbed by the leather and was darker than the rest of the shoe until it dried. After it dried it became lighter than the rest of the shoe and wouldn't go away even after a couple of layers of chili colored AE cream polish. Any ideas on how to make the color uniform again? I was considering trying to strip the entire shoe and repolish, but I'm not sure if this is the best way to go and what tools to use (acetone? Same saddle soap, but more of it until the entire shoe absorbs it?)

Here's a photo:

IMG_0942.JPG

josef1

Reaction score
To shoe bag when unused or to keep displayed in a rack or just laid out?

I'm a bagger considering switching to a racker. Then just using the bags for travel. My enthusiasm for shoes might appreciate seeing them more often. Hmm

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm a bagger considering switching to a racker. Then just using the bags for travel. My enthusiasm for shoes might appreciate seeing them more often. Hmm

I personally have mine on a rack in my wardrobe and only use bags for travel.

I do make sure I brush my shoes after every wear though.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I keep mine in boxes when not worn, so dust doesn't gather on them. I've been told earlier in the thread that dust is damaging to shoes.

I personally have mine on a rack in my wardrobe and only use bags for travel.

I do make sure I brush my shoes after every wear though.

You should probably brush before every wear too then.

ccpl14

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Sorry if this is not the correct place to post as this is more of a shoe repair question rather than a shoe care question.

Anyway, I have a boot with a small cut in the leather. It's between 1/4 and 1/2 an inch long. It's deep, but it does not go all the way through the leather.
Photo Jun 26, 9 09 07 PM.jpg

I'm wondering what to do about it. Fill in carefully with superglue? Some other product? Leave to a professional?
Since it's a boot, I'm not so much concerned with beauty as I am with long-term structural integrity. At this point, returning to store is also an option, but I'd prefer to keep as I got an amazing deal on these due to the defect.

Thanks

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

• Convenience

• Curse

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AsaSchumm