• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really appreciate and respect the comments written in posts 21583/83/84.
No, I'm not insulted by any of it.
I was fortunate enough to be at the Belmont this evening. Saw a triple crown winner, live.
Baffert, Justified's trainer, never rode a horse. But, to imply since He never rode a horse he is not credible is ridiculous.
Just like for anyone to print that because i don't do the work (over, and,over and,over) again is old and stale.
I enjoy sharing my experiences in this forum and will happily continue to do so, for free......just because I enjoy it.

Your informed perspective and experience is always a benefit to the forum. Thanks for your valuable participation.

Poshak Man

Reaction score
I really appreciate and respect the comments written in posts 21583/83/84.
No, I'm not insulted by any of it.
I was fortunate enough to be at the Belmont this evening. Saw a triple crown winner, live.
Baffert, Justified's trainer, never rode a horse. But, to imply since He never rode a horse he is not credible is ridiculous.
Just like for anyone to print that because i don't do the work (over, and,over and,over) again is old and stale.
I enjoy sharing my experiences in this forum and will happily continue to do so, for free......just because I enjoy it.

I hope you both continue contributing and sharing different opinions on this forum. But belittling the other be taken to some other thread. To me it is very visible and professional competence does not cover for poor manners. I'll now get off the soap box. If neither party sees any lack of civility in the discourse then please carry on.

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Your informed perspective and experience is always a benefit to the forum. Thanks for your valuable participation.

Thank you Sir.....
If you ever have questions, looking for options -or- looking for advice feel free to contact me. PM -or- E-mail. Hopefully I can direct you to a local shop that can help.

EnglishShoes

Reaction score
Yes, both contributors make a significant contribution to these forums. For example, the bespoke thread ("These foolish things") is one of the most interesting and informative threads I have ever read on here.

Lets be civil and respectful to each other though. I hate to see the personal insults flying around. It cheapens the whole place.

guarrellam

Reaction score
Trying to save my loake.
First:
20180209_224303.jpg

After:
View attachment 987834

20180609_193432.jpg

Last edited:

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you Sir.....
If you ever have questions, looking for options -or- looking for advice feel free to contact me. PM -or- E-mail. Hopefully I can direct you to a local shop that can help.

Thanks, but I have a shop I already use. There’s no reason you would know, but I am one of your many happy costumers.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
In point of fact, this has been going on for longer than those who are disturbed by it have been members of this forum. The point is that there is a lot of history many of you don't know anything about.

Point of fact, I don't start these imbroglios. As can be verified by reviewing this thread to determine where it went off-track. As with so many other times, I tried to answer a member (in this case @SartorialStudent) with a cogent, detailed, and non-dismissive explanation...and Nick jumped in to contradict me--no explanation, no real attempt to provide an explanation or even an answer to the question at hand.

I don't seek out Nick to comment or contradict his remarks. In point of fact, I, studiously and deliberately, try to avoid discussions where he has already posted. But the reverse is not true. And I am long since fed up with it.

Point of fact, I started several threads on this forum--"these foolish things" among them. When Nick's antagonism got so bad in those threads, I suggested that he start his own thread where he could address his issues and answer questions...and I promised to stay out of that thread.

In due course, that thread was started. And I have kept my promise. But Nick isn't satisfied with that--he regularly posts in the threads I started and frequent, almost always in response to, and in contradiction to, a comment I have made.

Anyone who has been here and followed these discussions knows that I've tried patience. I've tried answering insult with ignoring it. I have gone to great lengths to explain to Nick himself, my thinking, my experiences, my reasons--all based on my years of making shoes, even though his responses invariably indicate he isn't interested...wasn't interested to begin with.

None of it works. Nick is not willing.

I'm done (have been done for some time) treating him with kid gloves. I'm not a saint, I'm not a gentleman. I'm just a shoemaker. I don't like pretense and I don't like posturing. I'm gonna call it like I see it.

If he wants to confront me...I'm here, and I'm gonna come right back at him and get in his face.

Otherwise I'm indifferent.

Last edited:

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yes, both contributors make a significant contribution to these forums. For example, the bespoke thread ("These foolish things") is one of the most interesting and informative threads I have ever read on here.

Lets be civil and respectful to each other though. I hate to see the personal insults flying around. It cheapens the whole place.

Okay, you have my word....
If it's civility the forum wants I'll respect and honor that.
I won't take the bait intended to start another dust-up. Unless DW is a bigger man than I think he is, it's inevitable that sooner or later he will refer to his typical and predictable antics. I to am no push-over so, sitting on my hands is more challenging to me than to defend myself ESPECIALLY when things that are being written about me are simply untrue and deliberately misleading. So, if I don't respond to the the inevitable attacks it's only because I gave you my word that I will do so no longer in an uncivil manner.

However, having said that, I will absolutely continue contributing by offering my experience and knowledge. If I see a post that defies my experience and knowledge and is not factual I will inform this forum and share my experience and POV with them.
After-all isn't that the the main value of such forums?

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
With all due respect...the problem is your definition of "factual"...as well as "experience" and "knowledge."

Hypothetical "knowledge" is not real knowledge. Other people's experiences are not your experiences.

"Factual" is not based on theory, speculation, or hearsay. Unsubstantiated and/or unexplained (or un-explainable) opinion has zero value--it's just wind.

Without real-time, personal, hands-on, objective testing and verification of the theses and opinions you express, you have no basis or legitimacy deciding what is factual and what is not...esp. regarding the knowledge and experiences of those who do have real-time, personal, hands-on results from their, often, years and years of testing and verification.

That's the problem...I have that experience, you don't, not even in shoe repair, much less shoemaking, leather, and feet. That's an empirical fact--no insult, no distortion, just reality as you yourself have admitted and defined it.

From the perspective of someone with that experience, it is easy to spot your ignorance. And very hard to give "factual" credence to anything you say.

Last edited:

Coffandcig

Reaction score
**** you two. Fight or go home. I'm tired of reading your childish back and forth. You are both arrogant assholes

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You're not forced to read it...if you read any of it. The only safe spaces in the real world are in your head.

Last edited:

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dude...c'mon man. It's not like you're writing randomly sampled, controlled, peer reviewed studies about used shoes either. You're both going off of your own lived experiences. Let both people have a say and the people reading will decide who to listen to.

For the record, I'm pretty sure Nick agreed with the most of the content, just not the way you said it.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
For the record, I'm pretty sure Nick agreed with the most of the content, just not the way you said it.

If he did, he could have cancelled posting #21566 or #21573.

The whole bit about letting both parties have their say, hinges on the word "both." Other than that, that's why I don't seek him out or post to conversations where he has already commented.

I fully agree that the people reading (if they are reading) can decide. That's the only real adult response.

Every time I post something anymore I know he's lurking...waiting, and trying to figure out a hook to contradict me . It's tiresome.

He can talk all he wants about civility but bird-dogging me is gonna get him bit. Every time.

And FWIW, my observations may not be a peer reviewed study (as if that's necessary) but they're based on real hands-on experiences and tested observations...which is a whole hell of a lot closer than the alternative which is none.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads