**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

ooops, you're rather quick with your evaluation of quality for corthay and now you're outing yourself as a noob, anyway.

the eating is not a problem. press around the center of the sole, where the ball axis is. as soon as it feels spongy, you need a resole.

2. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Before - Trekking through a Marble finishing yard on a construction site. I can only imagine how bad marble dust is for shoes.

[​IMG]

After - (By the way, don't be fooled by the CJ trees - they are G&G - I just put them on lighter weight trees to travel with them.)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Treatment:

Thorough wipedown with damp cloth. let dry. Brush (especially in the seam). Repeat

Soles - Two applications of Mink Oil - black cream polish to fiddle waist. Four coats of black wax polish to sole edges.

Uppers - One coat of Saphir Renovateur. 4 coats of navy wax polish on toes (as close to a mirror as I like to get them).

Last edited: May 6, 2012
  3. sstomcat

sstomcat Senior member

As good as new.

4. paskaldjay

paskaldjay Active Member

Hi, I'm a newcomer in this Forum, hope I could contribute

I began this shoe shining thing around half years ago. My main shoe to be shine was a Helix Schuc Moc Toe, age 20+ Years Old (Once used by my grandpa)
    I'm using standard Shoe Shining Steps

1. Brush all of the Dust & Dirt (Tool: Horsehair Brush special for Cleaning)
    2. Apply Leather Conditioner/Mink Oil to Outsole & Use Edge Dresser (Tools: Howard Leather Conditioning Cream & local-made Edge Dresser)
    2. Apply Cream Polish (Tools: Columbus Leatherian Gold & Pig Hair Dauber)
    3. Remove Excess Cream (Tools: Pig Hair Brush & Used Ladies Stocking)
    4. Apply Wax Polish (I'm using my finger to apply the Wax)
    5. Remove Excess Wax (Tool: Horsehair Brush)
    6. Buff the Shoe (Tools: Used Ladies Stocking)

My standard by means of 'Shine' in here was Yuya Hasegawa. I'm sorry if I point it out too high

From my experimentation, I found that to achieve those high shine finish the key is how to maximize step 4 to 6. Up until this time, I focus to how to apply Wax & how to buff it properly
    This is detail description of that steps

1. Apply 1 coat of Wax Polish
    2. Wait it to dry for around 30 minutes
    3. Buff with Horsehair Brush Lightly (Around 30-40 sec each one)
    4. Buff using Stocking (Around 4-5 minutes each one)

First I using Kiwi Wax Polish (Made in Indonesia) & from February I began to using Saphir Medaille D'or Wax. I can't describe any difference by using those polish, I've found that it will give us same quality of luster (Like in my Profile Picture). I know that my achievement for those Mirror-like shine still far beyond perfect so I can't maximize the wax of Kiwi nor Saphir. I've looked at a lot of yours shoe polished with Saphir & It looks Great! I hope I can do it too.

This morning I try to use a lot of Coat to the shoe. My technique
    1. Use a Cotton Cloth Around 1 fingers
    2. Apply a little amount of water to the cloth (Around 3 large droplets of water)
    3. Take a Wax a size of finger tips & apply evenly
    4. Take a small droplets of water & keep circular motion to Shoe (x2)
    5. Repeat Process 2-4 3x Times

I found that my shoe doesn't give that mirror like shine. Does anyone have idea to improve my shine?

5. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

My girlfriend says reno smells like cat piss. She is kind of right.

It does have turpentine, it is a natural solvent. Apparently the cordovan cream doesn't have it. Myself and many others have been using reno on cordovan for years and nobody has seen adverse effects. If anything can handle turpentine it would be shell.

I think whoever started the whole turpentine thing is probably more concerned with the finish of shell. It is very non-porus and the finish and the color mostly sits on top, rather than being absorbed. Using straight turnpentine and hard rubbing and brushing I would think can loosen this finish and affect color. Kind of the like the same way the creasing gets lighter, it is separating the pigments. All in all, I don't think this it harmful, hasn't shown that to me at least.

6. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Better actually, as the finish is developing a deeper glow than they had when new.

I hope everyone got the point - which is: take good care of your shoes - especially when gritty dust/dirt is involved. As it it very hard on your shoes and yet very easy to take care of.

Last edited: May 7, 2012
  7. Anden

Anden Senior member

That is my experience too.

8. patrickBOOTH

Careful now, you might go blind.

9. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

thanks for that. Compare to the big timers here I am a shoe noob really

10. Pacinko

Pacinko New Member

Getting some walnut McAlisters delivered this week.....When I placed the order I only included AE shoe polish and forgot to include some conditioner/cleaner. So I just ordered it separately today and it is on backorder.

My question is do I need to wait for the conditioner to arrive and be applied to the shoe before wearing?

11. goodlensboy

goodlensboy Senior member

I am no expert, but looks rather long and narrow for your feet. Too long shoes may also cause falling

12. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

no, imo.

13. grendel

grendel Senior member

Did anyone have any thoughts on this? I'm having a problem with my bag that when it gets rain on it it develops white sports like this (or moreso) and I was wondering what causes it? I tried putting 2 more coats of Obenauf's on it over the Renovateur after seeing this post, but it happened again this morning.

14. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

To a certain degree white spots are simply going to be a risk on polished leather. As the moisture can get into the polish and (I'm guessing) this expands the polish and thus cracks it up a bit.

I will say that this has only happened to me once, and it was on a pair of shell shoes that had been recently coated with Reno. Could Renovateur be especially prone to spotting?

In any case the fix up is simply buff, and apply a new coat, no?

15. patrickBOOTH

It happens with top grain leathers. Water gets in between the finish and the pores. It is kind of like putting a wet glass on a table and getting rings. It is normal and when reno is applied it removes some finish and pulls some of the caught moisture out. Also there is dirt mixed in and such. The only real way to avoid it is by piling on a heavy hard wax finish, but that will have other negative affects like getting on your clothes and looking gunked up when creasing and such.

Let me ask you, which obaneaufs product are you using? Try leather oil, which really absorbs into the leather, but also leaves it very matte and oily looking. It will be super impervious to water though.