Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

And to be clear - I've just seen the one reference to the possibility of Reno not being good for shell. I'm not certain it is, or isn't.

I just ordered the Saphir cordovan wax in neutral (for all my shell shoes) and will also be reporting back.

Regarding shell's tendency to dull out quickly, yes. This dulling is the result of oils coming to the surface. As you mentioned brushing vigorously brings them right back up to looking great! I also find that rubbing quite firmly in small circular motions with a clean dry soft cotton rag brings up a beautiful lustor in less time.

As the shoes age a bit they will dull out much more slowly, as they will dry out more. The finish will get harder and slicker (if you have diligently worked on their care). This is shell at it's best.

Eventually, of course you must add oil back via conditioning - but less is more in general. You'll know how dry they are, or are not, basically by noticing how many wearings it takes for them to dull up.

2. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Senior member

While I know there may be a more appropriate thread for this question, I trust y'all's opinion on such matters. I'm at my wits end trying to find a well-fitting pair of Grensons by mail. I'm trying this pair, which i love and is the last in stock. Fits very comfortably but it seems quite roomy in the toe box. I've marked up the picture below. Thoughts on the fit?

[​IMG]

3. Stirling

Stirling Senior member

I am pretty sure that it does not contain any turpentine, are you sure this is the case?

I really think this is unnecessary for shell. Firstly shell is so dense, conditioners aren't really going to absorb all that deeply & perhaps more importantly shell has so much natural oils it doesn't need any more. It would take many years before shell began to dry out.

4. hikari013

hikari013 Senior member

It doesn't smell like it has turpentine to me. The Medaille D'Or wax polish on the other hand smells strongly of turpentine.

5. Stirling

Stirling Senior member

Yes both the wax polishes and the creams if I'm not mistaken.

6. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Wow - I'm the only one that thinks Renovateur smells like turpentine?!?!?!?!? :embar: Smells just like Pine Sol to me.

7. Stirling

Stirling Senior member

Pine Sol - uses Pine oil, that's completely different from Turpentine! so I really can't explain what you are smelling or using.

8. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Turpentine is made from pine oil.

Not trying to stir up trouble - just trying to reach a conclusion.

I've been searching for a better list of ingredients for Renovateur but have only found the waxes and oils listed - not the solvent.

9. Stirling

Stirling Senior member

I am afraid sir you are sadly mistaken, again.

Whilst I acknowledge you are not trying to stir trouble, you are spreading misinformation.

For your information Pine oil is obtained from the needles & cones of pine trees. Turpentine is obtained from the Pine Sap resin, (not from Pine oil at all) they are two different products.

10. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Interesting. I did not know this. I thought both were obtained from the sap.

Having just looked up Pine oil on WikipediaI do note that Pine oil contains turpenes however.

Last edited: May 5, 2012

11. Stirling

Stirling Senior member

We all learn something new everyday.

12. Poshak Man

Poshak Man Senior member

I thought Saphir only made cordovan creams, inc one in neutral. Is the neutral cordovan wax a new product?

13. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

I should have said cream, sorry.

14. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

Hey guys I just want to find out when should someone resole his shoes..... I had been using my handgrade for a year and it seems the 'sheet' of leather which hides the stitchings will disappear soon, the heels had no problem, rubber had just eat in slightly. How can I tell if the shoes needs resole? When I start to eat in the stitches on the sole? Sorry for this nobb question.

15. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

I think it depends on how firm the sole is. I'll let someone else confirm.