• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Interesting points Gdot. I hadn't even considered any negative impact of Renovateur on shell. I looked at it like a variation of the Mac method, substituting wax for Reno. As you said, the key is likely to use any product sparingly. I have saphir's cordovan wax but have yet to try it.

And to be clear - I've just seen the one reference to the possibility of Reno not being good for shell. I'm not certain it is, or isn't.

I just ordered the Saphir cordovan wax in neutral (for all my shell shoes) and will also be reporting back.

Regarding shell's tendency to dull out quickly, yes. This dulling is the result of oils coming to the surface. As you mentioned brushing vigorously brings them right back up to looking great! I also find that rubbing quite firmly in small circular motions with a clean dry soft cotton rag brings up a beautiful lustor in less time.

As the shoes age a bit they will dull out much more slowly, as they will dry out more. The finish will get harder and slicker (if you have diligently worked on their care). This is shell at it's best.

Eventually, of course you must add oil back via conditioning - but less is more in general. You'll know how dry they are, or are not, basically by noticing how many wearings it takes for them to dull up.

BostonHedonist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While I know there may be a more appropriate thread for this question, I trust y'all's opinion on such matters. I'm at my wits end trying to find a well-fitting pair of Grensons by mail. I'm trying this pair, which i love and is the last in stock. Fits very comfortably but it seems quite roomy in the toe box. I've marked up the picture below. Thoughts on the fit?

Stirling

Reaction score
Now it is clear that Renovateur contains turpentine simply by the aroma.

I am pretty sure that it does not contain any turpentine, are you sure this is the case?

Eventually, of course you must add oil back via conditioning - but less is more in general. You'll know how dry they are, or are not, basically by noticing how many wearings it takes for them to dull up.

I really think this is unnecessary for shell. Firstly shell is so dense, conditioners aren't really going to absorb all that deeply & perhaps more importantly shell has so much natural oils it doesn't need any more. It would take many years before shell began to dry out.

hikari013

Reaction score

I am pretty sure that it does not contain any turpentine, are you sure this is the case?

It doesn't smell like it has turpentine to me. The Medaille D'Or wax polish on the other hand smells strongly of turpentine.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow - I'm the only one that thinks Renovateur smells like turpentine?!?!?!?!? :embar: Smells just like Pine Sol to me.

Stirling

Reaction score
Wow - I'm the only one that thinks Renovateur smells like turpentine?!?!?!?!?
shog[1].gif
Smells just like Pine Sol to me.

Pine Sol - uses Pine oil, that's completely different from Turpentine! so I really can't explain what you are smelling or using.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Turpentine is made from pine oil.

Not trying to stir up trouble - just trying to reach a conclusion.

I've been searching for a better list of ingredients for Renovateur but have only found the waxes and oils listed - not the solvent.

Stirling

Reaction score
Turpentine is made from pine oil.

I am afraid sir you are sadly mistaken, again.

Whilst I acknowledge you are not trying to stir trouble, you are spreading misinformation.

For your information Pine oil is obtained from the needles & cones of pine trees. Turpentine is obtained from the Pine Sap resin, (not from Pine oil at all) they are two different products.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am afraid sir you are sadly mistaken, again.

Whilst I acknowledge you are not trying to stir trouble, you are spreading misinformation.

For your information Pine oil is obtained from the needles & cones of pine trees. Turpentine is obtained from the Pine Sap resin, (not from Pine oil at all) they are two different products.

Interesting. I did not know this. I thought both were obtained from the sap.

Having just looked up Pine oil on WikipediaI do note that Pine oil contains turpenes however.

Last edited:

Poshak Man

Reaction score

I just ordered the Saphir cordovan wax in neutral (for all my shell shoes) and will also be reporting back.

I thought Saphir only made cordovan creams, inc one in neutral. Is the neutral cordovan wax a new product?

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I should have said cream, sorry.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I just want to find out when should someone resole his shoes..... I had been using my handgrade for a year and it seems the 'sheet' of leather which hides the stitchings will disappear soon, the heels had no problem, rubber had just eat in slightly. How can I tell if the shoes needs resole? When I start to eat in the stitches on the sole? Sorry for this nobb question.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads