**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. kingsolomon

kingsolomon Member

The elesatic on my rm williams have discoloured a bit and I was wondering how to restore it to the original colour? To replace them is like $55AUD each so like $220 so I don't want to do that.

2. Luigi_M

Luigi_M Well-Known Member

@kingsolomon , post photos.
    Anyway I would proudly live with my discolored elastic and call It "character".
    Wear your shoes happily! Luigi.

3. James1051

James1051 Senior member

Morning gents
    I have 3 shades of brown shoes in my closet: dark brown chili and walnut. So, 1 brush , 2 or 3?
    Thanks

4. Luigi_M

James, I have light and dark brown and burgundy, yet I use just one brush for shining.
    I try to use the slightest amount of cream and I don't think it's enough to contaminate the bristles.
    When I use a dauber to spread the cream on the shoes, instead, I use one for each different shade.
    Best wishes, Luigi.

5. suitforcourt

suitforcourt Senior member

I have 4 brushes in total. One to brush away the dirt and crap initially, and when I return home.

I then have 3 brushes: black, burgundy, and all browns. These are used for the actual shining process.

6. Luigi_M

^^ +10
    As SFC correctly pointed out, of course you don't need only brushes for shining.
    As before-cleaning-crapbuster I use just one brush;
    instead for the "before-and-after-wear-wipe" I have two: one for black and one for all other colours...

7. Munky

Munky Senior member

There can be complications in using the same brush for all 'dusting off' duties. I have a pair of very red Tricker's and a pair of very green ones. Both tend to bleed a lot of colour. Having used two different brushes for dusting these off, I can report that one brush is now very red and the other is very green. I am not sure that I would want these colours to be transferred to a pair of tan shoes.

I have a pair of brushes for each colour. One for general brushing off and the other for brushing after applying polish. This isn't as many brushes as you might think. Mostly, shoes mostly fall into a fairly narrow range of colours. I guess if had shoes that were only tan, brown or mahogany, I would consider a single brush. Perhaps the bright coloured Tricker's are outliers.

Or maybe we are all overdoing the brush issue. I suspect that around 90 % of people in the UK never brush their shoes at all. Brushing of any sort, with one or many, is going to make your shoes look better.

With kind thoughts, Munky.

8. Luigi_M

Munky's advice, to stay on the safe side, is by sure correct.
    I only own shoes in black or various shades of brown (placing the burgundy or oxblood in this category), and neither tends to bleed colour.
    Maybe more daring colours might present this problem - rather caused by the particular leather they are made of than by excessive use of cream - and so, if you find that a specific pair tends to let down its colour, you might want to use dedicated brushes for it.
    That would be the exception to the rule "less is better".
    I must confess being a little envious of those who dare with colours: something I hope to do sooner or later.
    All the best wishes, Luigi.

9. kwhunter

kwhunter Senior member

I use a microfiber cloth after the hair brush and it works wonders, i. e. leaves a mirror finish.

10. Munky

Munky Senior member

I use a microfibre cloth, too. It brings up a great shine.

11. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

Couldn't agree more. It's what originally got me over the hump for a decent shine.

12. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

But for example, every time I take out my shoes at the end of the day, I brush them to take out the dust or something but the horse hair brush leaves the mirror shine with traces or makes it dull. Do you use the microfiber cloth?

13. Munky

Munky Senior member

I wasn't really thinking of a mirror shine but just an 'ordinary' one. I use the microfibre cloth after I have put on polish and brushed it off. The microfibre cloth just buffs things up a bit more. After that, I rely on a brush to use before I go out and when I come back. I don't use the microfibre cloth at any time other than when I am cleaning my shoes.

As for a mirror shine, call me lazy, but life is too short...!

14. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

Yeap. The mirror shine life is way too short. I only have 3 shoes with mirror shine because yeap, it's hard to maintain.