• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

kingsolomon

Reaction score
The elesatic on my rm williams have discoloured a bit and I was wondering how to restore it to the original colour? To replace them is like $55AUD each so like $220 so I don't want to do that.

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@kingsolomon , post photos.
Anyway I would proudly live with my discolored elastic and call It "character".
Wear your shoes happily! Luigi.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Morning gents
I have 3 shades of brown shoes in my closet: dark brown chili and walnut. So, 1 brush , 2 or 3?
Thanks

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
James, I have light and dark brown and burgundy, yet I use just one brush for shining.
I try to use the slightest amount of cream and I don't think it's enough to contaminate the bristles.
When I use a dauber to spread the cream on the shoes, instead, I use one for each different shade.
Best wishes, Luigi.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Morning gents
I have 3 shades of brown shoes in my closet: dark brown chili and walnut. So, 1 brush , 2 or 3?
Thanks

I have 4 brushes in total. One to brush away the dirt and crap initially, and when I return home.

I then have 3 brushes: black, burgundy, and all browns. These are used for the actual shining process.

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ +10
As SFC correctly pointed out, of course you don't need only brushes for shining.
As before-cleaning-crapbuster I use just one brush;
instead for the "before-and-after-wear-wipe" I have two: one for black and one for all other colours...

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There can be complications in using the same brush for all 'dusting off' duties. I have a pair of very red Tricker's and a pair of very green ones. Both tend to bleed a lot of colour. Having used two different brushes for dusting these off, I can report that one brush is now very red and the other is very green. I am not sure that I would want these colours to be transferred to a pair of tan shoes.

I have a pair of brushes for each colour. One for general brushing off and the other for brushing after applying polish. This isn't as many brushes as you might think. Mostly, shoes mostly fall into a fairly narrow range of colours. I guess if had shoes that were only tan, brown or mahogany, I would consider a single brush. Perhaps the bright coloured Tricker's are outliers.

Or maybe we are all overdoing the brush issue. I suspect that around 90 % of people in the UK never brush their shoes at all. Brushing of any sort, with one or many, is going to make your shoes look better.

With kind thoughts, Munky.

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Munky's advice, to stay on the safe side, is by sure correct.
I only own shoes in black or various shades of brown (placing the burgundy or oxblood in this category), and neither tends to bleed colour.
Maybe more daring colours might present this problem - rather caused by the particular leather they are made of than by excessive use of cream - and so, if you find that a specific pair tends to let down its colour, you might want to use dedicated brushes for it.
That would be the exception to the rule "less is better".
I must confess being a little envious of those who dare with colours: something I hope to do sooner or later.
All the best wishes, Luigi.

kwhunter

Reaction score
I want to use it for the shoes with mirror shine to brush them after wearing them, the horse hair leaves the finish a bit dull and with some trace marks.
I use a microfiber cloth after the hair brush and it works wonders, i. e. leaves a mirror finish.

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I use a microfiber cloth after the hair brush and it works wonders, i. e. leaves a mirror finish.

I use a microfibre cloth, too. It brings up a great shine.
But for example, every time I take out my shoes at the end of the day, I brush them to take out the dust or something but the horse hair brush leaves the mirror shine with traces or makes it dull. Do you use the microfiber cloth?

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But for example, every time I take out my shoes at the end of the day, I brush them to take out the dust or something but the horse hair brush leaves the mirror shine with traces or makes it dull. Do you use the microfiber cloth?

I wasn't really thinking of a mirror shine but just an 'ordinary' one. I use the microfibre cloth after I have put on polish and brushed it off. The microfibre cloth just buffs things up a bit more. After that, I rely on a brush to use before I go out and when I come back. I don't use the microfibre cloth at any time other than when I am cleaning my shoes.

As for a mirror shine, call me lazy, but life is too short...!

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wasn't really thinking of a mirror shine but just an 'ordinary' one. I use the microfibre cloth after I have put on polish and brushed it off. The microfibre cloth just buffs things up a bit more. After that, I rely on a brush to use before I go out and when I come back. I don't use the microfibre cloth at any time other than when I am cleaning my shoes.

As for a mirror shine, call me lazy, but life is too short...!

Yeap. The mirror shine life is way too short. I only have 3 shoes with mirror shine because yeap, it's hard to maintain.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those interested in this sort of thing...while Collonil products contain no turpentine, Woly creams, certainly seem to. I just sniffed the Woly and I am already paying for it in terms of chest problems. :angry: Yours, Munky.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads