• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Al Rick

Reaction score
Having bought my first pair of "expensive" shoes, I decided to treat them right from the beginning so I have been reading guides and this forum for a while to try to get a good idea of what that implies. Thank you for all the information and entertainment ;) But I have a question...

I am currently using cotton rags to apply creams, but I had a friend tell me he uses a regular household sponge (the yellow kind with a more abrasive layer on top) for application. On the one hand, it seems like a good idea and I am inclined to try it. But on the other hand, I have never heard anyone else even mention it and I cannot find anything about it. His argument is that there are plenty of products out there that come with sponge applicators, and that an artificial sponge is an artificial sponge. My reservation is that if it was risk free, more people would use them since it is less hassle than using a cotton chamois.

So I'm hoping you could help me figure it out. Are there any dangers in using such a sponge for application of Saphir MdO pommade , such as risk of scratching or otherwise ruining the leather, or is it a perfectly safe and viable option to using a cotton cloth?

And finally a perhaps even sillier question: how do you clean your cotton chamois? I rinse them out with hot water and hand soap after use, although I would like to wash them properly but I'm not sure if wax residues etc play nice with the machine.

Al Rick

Reaction score
Personally I like the "Indexfinger mk 1 special device" as I feel I have more control over the process
Do you mean that you dip your finger in the jar, and applying the cream using your skin? Or do you use some kind of cloth wrapped around your finger? :)

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you mean that you dip your finger in the jar, and applying the cream using your skin? Or do you use some kind of cloth wrapped around your finger? :)
Yes Rick, I use the naked point of my index finger but, rather than "dip" it, I just "dirty" it with the slightest amount of shoe cream. Of course you will be able to spread this tiny amount over a quite little area of your shoe and so will be in need to "recharge" often your fingertip, but here lies the better control, as you might want to use as lesser cream as you can in order to not choke the fine leather with too much product.
Be aware, sometimes when I rub my shoes for too long or with too much energy i get a little blister on my finger!
I have never thoughts about a sponge but it doesn't seem a good idea to me: it might be too harsh and scratch your shoes. The best tool you may use is a piece of old and well worn t-shirt, it's unexpensive too!:)
Another tool I find useful, e.g. with brogues, is a dauber: a small round horsehair brush which can reach even the most recessed parts of the broguing.
To shine your shoes, after the cream has rested on them for some minutes, you should use a large horsehair brush.
Good luck and wear them happily! Luigi.

Al Rick

Reaction score
Yes Rick, I use the naked point of my index finger but, rather than "dip" it, I just "dirty" it with the slightest amount of shoe cream. Of course you will be able to spread this tiny amount over a quite little area of your shoe and so will be in need to "recharge" often your fingertip, but here lies the better control, as you might want to use as lesser cream as you can in order to not choke the fine leather with too much product.
Be aware, sometimes when I rub my shoes for too long or with too much energy i get a little blister on my finger!
I have never thoughts about a sponge but it doesn't seem a good idea to me: it might be too harsh and scratch your shoes. The best tool you may use is a piece of old and well worn t-shirt, it's unexpensive too!:)
Another tool I find useful, e.g. with brogues, is a dauber: a small round horsehair brush which can reach even the most recessed parts of the broguing.
To shine your shoes, after the cream has rested on them for some minutes, you should use a large horsehair brush.
Good luck and wear them happily! Luigi.
Thanks for your reply, I will probably try using just my finger next time! I also thought a scotch brite would be too rough, but on the other hand I thought he had a point in saying a lot of products use sponges as applicators. But I don't know if those are inferior products that are okay only for shoes that will be replaced after two-three years... It's all a bit overwhelming to be honest, with all the different products and brands and advices :)

I was taught how to polish shoes in the army. Once a week we applied grease first and black wax after, then just wax the other days if a simple buffing didn't do the trick. Dauber and brush were of the cheapest kind (it was actually a single unit, imagine the dauber on the end of the brush, bristles pointing the other direction), and for buffing we used our socks. Never heard a word about cleaning other than brushing them off first, definitely nothing about the need for deep cleaning or removing old layers from time to time. Now that I'm learning, I feel like I've been going around eating mints thinking that's proper mouth hygien ;)

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I was a bit more obsessional about shoe cleaning, I used to put my cleaning rags in the washing machine. They don't come out completely colour-free but nothing nasty remains in the machine. Nowadays, I use old cotton tee shirts, until all parts of the shirts have been used and then I throw them in the bin. I live in the UK where (I believe) tee shirts are not worn as often as is the case in the US. I am quite happy to buy a couple of really cheap ones as they last a very long time.

I also use my finger to put on Renapur, if I am in a hurry. You really do need to use the tiniest amount of it and it produces a pleasant shine without brushing or buffing. Very best wishes, Munky.

thefastlife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just bought my first pair of "nice" suede shoes. can anyone point me in the direction of the best care tips for such a shoe:

A_868_DYLAN-9650TD_0.jpg

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
just bought my first pair of "nice" suede shoes. can anyone point me in the direction of the best care tips for such a shoe:

A_868_DYLAN-9650TD_0.jpg
Pick up a suede brush, and maybe an eraser. You can apply some waterproofing if desired.
https://www.allenedmonds.com/shoes/...-combo-brush/SF583.html?dwvar_SF583_color=542
https://www.allenedmonds.com/shoes/...7.html?dwvar_SF557_color=557#q=suede&start=12
https://www.allenedmonds.com/shoes/...44.html?dwvar_SF644_color=644#q=spray&start=1
Plenty of other places out there to pick these up as well. Good suede should be able to handle what you throw at it - just clean it up once it dries.

Carl1955

Reaction score

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

mag1119

Reaction score
Wow very nice!

Do you brush with the Mirror Gloss, or just buff w a rag?
How much are you applying? Less than recommended, about the same or a little more? Using the less is best theory, are more coats helping?

mag1119

Reaction score
With respect, this has been covered hundreds of times in this thread. It might be worth doing some grazing. Here are the essentials.

1. Opinions vary as to whether or not you should clean new shoes, out of the box. I tend to use a thin layer of cream but you must make your own mind about it. For general care, this is reasonable routine.
2. Keep wooden shoe trees in your shoes all of the time that your feet are out of them. Have at least two pairs of shoes so that you can rotate the wearing of them.
3. Buy two, horsehair, brushes. Use one to brush the shoes before you go out and when you get back.
4. When the shoes need it (in my experience, about every two weeks, but people vary on this), apply a very, thin coating of cream polish. Leave for the amount of time stated on the tin. Brush off, with your second brush. The cream is best applied with a cotton rag; old tee shirts are ideal.
4. You can leave it here, or put on a coat of wax polish if you like shiny shoes. Brush this of, as above. I am happy with not using wax polish. Some use wax every other time they polish.
5 I use Saphir Renovateur conditioner about once every six months. Again, apply a light coating and brush off after the time indicated on the tin.
6. Overall, brushing and wearing are the two best things you can do.

People vary in the way they look after their shoes but this routine can't hurt them and will make sure that you are looking after them. Kind regards, Munky
Thank you, Munky. In all the various methods and details, a straightforward, simple "how to", "go to" is most useful. Sometimes I have to just get to basics to get the job done. Often I have gotten swamped in the details of what to do and how often. And the shoes simply don't say a word.!

mag1119

Reaction score
A pair of trashed Tom Fords worth $1800 a pair I bought for cheap on eBay and the reno job I did. Comprised Cadillac creme conditioner followed by Collonil cream in burgundy colour and then Angelus wax. I suspect the shoes were never polished or had trees and were used when riding a bicycle. Fortunately they had been Topyied. I steamed them inside a bit and massaged the wrinkles by hand when the conditioned moist vamp leather was supple. I then stretched them a bit too with one of those gadgets because the Tom Ford fit is a lot like bespoke and I am wideish 10.5D. Pretty happy with the results.

View attachment 808624

View attachment 808628

View attachment 808629

View attachment 808633

View attachment 808630

View attachment 808631
Great job.! Patience is a virtue. Labor of love I am sure.

mag1119

Reaction score
I am not sure why people reach for such powerful products to use on their shoes. I have noted, for example, that some folk put Renomat on their shoes, quite often. I would have thought that all of these stronger products are a last resort. Mostly, I think, shoe cream and lots of brushing do the job - perhaps with the occasional application of a mild product such as Renovateur. Mostly, though, wearing and brushing are the main element of shoe care. :dozingoff:
Again, Munky, I love it. short and sweet and to the point. Thanks once more for such sound and simple advice. I think too often we are on theses threads looking for the magic bullet or miracle cure when all that is needed is basic care and consistency.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads