• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

zanci

Reaction score
Got the perfect mirror shine on the captoe, but then wanted to renovateur the upper part a bit and the wax cracked, what to do now?

IMG_20170904_153540.jpg

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There are actually 7 brushes in there. I use the bigger brush with "star" written on it for general brushing of all shoes before and after they are worn (i.e. general cleaning). Then I have brushes to buff each color shoes after polish is applied to buff and brush off the excess, for me that means walnut, black, brown, oxblood/merlot and neutral polish. So that is 6, I have a 7th (there are 2 brushes labeled "brown" stacked at the bottom of the pic) because I am an idiot and overbought.

I have horsehair daubers dedicated to each color as well, though I have only ever used the one for neutral polish since AE's shoe polish tubes come with a sponge applicator. I keep the dedicated polish cloths in ziplock to keep them moist and thrown them on top of the brushes before attaching the lid. It is therefore a huge production to pull this box out to polish a single pair of shoes.

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Last week I bought the Saphir Mirrir Gloss to try it. I think I like the result but I can't tell the difference between the Saphir Mirrir Gloss and the normal Saphir wax. The only thing I did notice, and it may be because I have already some polish built in the toe cap, is that with only two layers I got the result (which is what the product promises, less applications) with the normal wax I have to do 4 or 5 to get the result.

Here are some pics:

36186815914_e8f081627d_b.jpg

36214353943_66d998cb73_b.jpg

Now this is a pic with just only the normal wax

IMG_20170818_175636110 nromal.jpg

And this is with the Mirror Gloss.

IMG_20170901_135047271.jpg

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last week I bought the Saphir Mirrir Gloss to try it. I think I like the result but I can't tell the difference between the Saphir Mirrir Gloss and the normal Saphir wax. The only thing I did notice, and it may be because I have already some polish built in the toe cap, is that with only two layers I got the result (which is what the product promises, less applications) with the normal wax I have to do 4 or 5 to get the result.

Here are some pics:

View attachment 837686

View attachment 837687

Wow very nice!

Do you brush with the Mirror Gloss, or just buff w a rag?

Romeomikehotel

Reaction score
Spent a little time today giving some overdue attention to my sneakers.

Here they are soaking up some Saphir Renovateur.
IMG_2110.JPG

And here they are after full treatment of cream polish and waxed toes
IMG_2112.JPG

benhour

Reaction score
Hey there! There appears to be lots of love for the Saphir MdO Renovateur. What does that product do that AE Leather Lotion doesn't do? (I ask because I have lots of the latter)
AE leather lotion (especially if you have the old tubes whitch are rebranded Colonil) is a very good product!! You dont need to switch to renovateur !!AE just doesnt shine so much after brushing!

I got a scuff on my AE Cornwallis and after one treatment of Saphir Renovator I have this, shall I just keep on working it or should I be using saddle soap or another cleaning product?
View attachment 836890

Generally when you have scuff marks on your shoes ,especially in light coloured leather, the best way to start is to take a clean cloth or a new/clean brush and buff the area so to remove any dirt is trapped in the scuff !! Then use a matching colour paste/wax polish then buff!! (conditioners most of the time ll trap the dirt make stains like this)

Don't use saddle soap. Honestly I am not sure what you should do because I have the exact same shoe, a similar scuff (but on the toe), and used saphir renov + avel leather soap (basically diluted saddle soap, and not even that diluted) to try to fix the scuff. Check out the thumbnail to see how that worked out. I sent AE the same pic and they told me it would need to be refinished at the factory. I believe them.

View attachment 836995
you just removed the spray factory finish! this is generally an easy fix for them!

Here are some pics:

View attachment 837686

View attachment 837687

Very nice job on them Armando my friend!!

when you are going to use mirror gloss on high end leather shoes(like yours here) you are not going to see any difference at all at the final outcome!! the only difference is the amount of applications you are going to need to achieve it ! 2-4 with the old time classic polish 1-2 with mirror gloss !! its the same product with less solvents and more carnuba wax in general (its impossible to know the exact consistency)

On the other hand when you are going to use it on more "rough" leather the amounts of applications differs significantly!

Always happy to help when i can:laugh:

EnglishShoes

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I want to try some boots in Horween's Chromexcel leather. From what understand, this is a pull-up leather and it will develop a rich patina where the leather flexes - is this correct?

The two boots I am looking at are new ones from Cheaney and the colours are Chicago Tan (dark brown) and English Tan (lighter tan).

How will these boots age with time? Do they always fade lighter? Do you guys have any well worn boots in these colours that you could share photos of?

EDIT: Photos

Chicago tan.jpg

English tan.jpg

Last edited:

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Some time ago I asked a question here about what was involved in "reglazing" shoes and was met with mostly (well meaning) speculation and the internet equivalent of blank stares.

FWIW I spoke to my cobbler today and discovered the usage of that word is specific to Texas and refers to a proprietary process developed by the Shoe Hospital in Houston (http://www.houstonshoehospital.com/leather-repair-services-houston-texas).

Every cobbler I've dealt with in Dallas for the last 17 years uses these guys so they are well regarded. He suggested that part of the process involves a heat room to seal the shoes so I think the process (together with my neglect) dries the sheos and was responsible for my black Park Aves cracking after 15 years, but man those guys can make black park ave look like patent leather with this process. I can vouch for the shine lasting 10x longer than a conventional shoe shine but maybe a member from Houston can weigh in with their experiences

Last edited:

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought I would just mention this. A few years ago, I found myself allergic to shoe polishes with Turpentine in them. Which is most of them. A couple of months ago, I decided that I was making too much of a fuss and started using Saphir products, again. Now I am short of breath, have bouts when I can't breath properly and so on. Be wary of this!

My plan is to go back to cleaning my shoes outside the house. However, I would like to know of any shoe creams that don't contain Turpentine - apart from GlenKaren. I have some of this but it doesn't come in a range of colours. Any suggestions would be welcome! Yours, as always, Munky.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is the Collonil 1909 Creme de Luxe range free of turpentine?

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Caught in the rain. It happens. A lot in my area.
So what is the recommended shoe treatment, if any, to help shoes that have taken on water in a down pour? Does conditioner help?

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So what is the recommended shoe treatment, if any, to help shoes that have taken on water in a down pour? Does conditioner help?

Stuff them with newspaper, lay them on their sides, keep them away from any sort of heating, don't do anything to them until they are completely dry. If in doubt, leave them for a good few days.

benhour

Reaction score
Is the Collonil 1909 Creme de Luxe range free of turpentine?
Yes my friend ! As far as i know it is! (i am not sure but i think i have said that again! deja vu feeling)
:laugh:

I totally agree with Munky's recommendation!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads