**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Munky

Munky Senior member

I have used both, too. I have a bit of a sensitive nasal response to Saphir (a slight allergy to turpentine) so, for awhile, I used Glenkaren creams. Both are good but I have gone back to Saphir and to polishing with it, outside of the house. Switching back to Saphir was a pragmatic decision. Saphir only needs to be on the shoes for 5 minutes, before brushing off. Glenkaren needs to be brushed off twice. In the morning, I want things to be as simple as possible. So if the shoes I am going to wear need to be polished, it only takes me about 10 minutes to do them, with Saphir - from applying the cream to having brushed them to a shine.

If you want a 'natural' cream, then GlenKaren is the one. But whether one or the other is 'better', I don't know. I am not sure that I could tell the difference in a blind test. Saphir has the larger range of colours and their cheaper cream has a huge range.

One other thing I do in the final polishing process is to rub the shoes with a microfiber cloth. This adds to the depth of the shine. Yours, Munky

2. Luigi_M

Luigi_M Well-Known Member

Thank you Munky. I appreciate your pragmatic approach.
    I realize that asking "which product is better" would be a nonsense on my part.
    As a matter of fact and as you point out, the only thing that matters is which product suits better one's specific needs and aims.
    I don't care too much about the time required because I usually dedicate a couple of hours every week to the care of several pairs of shoes, so I can optimize the time a pair needs to "sit" by working on another.
    After this, all I have to do before wearing a pair is to brush it.
    I have to admit that I tend to be somehow ansious/perfectionist/anal (feel free to tick the term you think suits best) about the luster I see coming out, so I tend to brush my shoes several times, in the subsequent days, any time I see them.
    Here I should keep in mind a wise advice of yours: "to show some restraint".
    Sometimes, instead, I picture myself as a fool, drooling from his semi-opened mouth and unaware of the world around, continuously and insanely brushing his shoes.
    ... Shoes are just shoes, Luigi, shoes are just shoes, just shoes, just shoes ...

3. Zapasman

Zapasman Senior member

Some people spend more time polishing shoes than wearing them. :puzzled:

4. Luigi_M

Video meliora proboque, deteriora sequor.

5. Zapasman

Zapasman Senior member

Then I am sure you Will gradually change your behave. It's a matter of time. I enjoy wearing my shoes but to polish them is no more relaxIng. Due maintenance is necessary but it is not and end in itself.

6. Luigi_M

^^ + 10.000 for the wise words and advice and for the pragmatic attitude I have to learn!

7. ecworks

ecworks Active Member

What would be a good wax (other than neutral) for these Florsheim 93602 Kenmoors:

pic2.jpg

8. Shanejosephxxx

Shanejosephxxx Senior member

9. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

So you're going to use them as shoe polish cloths?

10. Shanejosephxxx

Shanejosephxxx Senior member

Yeah I'm a dummy and just realized it's the wrong thread :confused2:

11. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

I figured. Just give you a little ribbing.:)