**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. rdaws

rdaws Senior member

Just picked up a pair of made-for Paul Stuart Gaziano & Girlings, and am looking for some polish advice. I'm having a hard time picking the product - was thinking Saphir Neutral Cream followed by Saphir Mahogany wax. Paul Stuart calls it "burgundy" which I think is the same "burgundy" calf that G&G sells on their MTOs; anybody have this color and had success building a good polish with a nice long term patina? The "bordeaux" color looks to be a little too purple for this finish.

[​IMG]

2. FatTuesday

FatTuesday Senior member

As part of proper shoe care, eventually one may require a resole of worn shoes. These are just back from B Nelson. Nick & crew hit a homerun with this resole:
    20170717_122352.jpg 20170717_122409.jpg 20170717_122445.jpg
    These are Brooks Brothers unlined burgundy shell cordovan loafers made by Alden.
    I'm really pleased with the work.

3. suitforcourt

suitforcourt Senior member

What I've been doing is the following:

1. Bring my shoes to the cobbler store;
    2. Ask cobbler if I can dab a few colours to make sure I'm getting the right one;
    3. Buy the one that best matches my shoes.

Hope this helps.

4. suitforcourt

Beautiful. I'm sending a pair of Church's to them soon.

Have you ever invested in toe taps?

Also, have you ever tried B Nelson's "regular sole"? I'm thinking about the JR, but also their regular sole with a topy.

5. FatTuesday

FatTuesday Senior member

Thanks. No to toe taps, but not for any particular reason.

Yes to regular soles. They are fine, imo. I went with JR soles just b/c of familiarity w/ them on my AE shell shoes. I really prefer mini lug tap / half commando though. Low profile yet durable.

6. suitforcourt

Thanks. I will speak to Nick about the options. I may go with the regular sole, and your recommendation of a lug tap or half commando.

7. Luigi_M

Luigi_M Active Member

Nice shoes rdaws! I particularly like the rich warmness of the brown: just a hint of red for added interest, but definitely a tough mannish shade of brown.
    Sorry I can't give advice about any cream.
    Were they mine I'd use GlenKaren Burgundy, maybe alternating with Medium Brown (I haven't this latter, but for the sake of such a pair I'd gladly buy it).
    But the shoes are yours and you might better follow the good advice from suitforcourt.
    Wear them in good health.
    Luigi

8. Luigi_M

Luigi_M Active Member

Yesterday evening, after a good brush and a wipe with a slightly damp cloth (plus 1/2 hour to fully dry), I gave all over an old pair of black derbies an ever so thin coat of Glen Karen cream of the appropriate hue, massaging it in the leather with my Indexfinger mk 1 special device.
    The routine suggested by Munky (10' dry, brush, 10' more wait, brush again) resulted in a nice deep glow, so I decided to give a try on the toes with Saphir Black wax.
    The process is still going on and I plan to resume it tonight.
    Sorry no photos for now.
    Yours truly, Luigi.

9. lullemans72

lullemans72 Well-Known Member

Thanks for putting in your two cents, Luigi. I guess it makes sense that when the cap of the shoe is harder than the rest, it wouldn't need any extra nourishment. I was really wondering about it since, as you correctly point out, the cap is the most visible part of the shoe, so doing anything wrong there would ruin the whole look.