**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Lear

Lear Senior member

Hi Teacher2

Probably not an answer. Actually, trying to help anyone who thinks you need an exact list of products, materials and methods.

There are so many variables (here I go again). A dollop of ''product' might be three times the amount for me than you. A severe buffing might mean a couple of swipes to you, but my idea could be until my arm falls off. By the way, there are two categories of people with over developed right arms:

1.) Those who shine shoes
    2.) Those who bulk buy toilet paper and spend extended periods behind locked bedroom doors.

But I digress... I always wipe my shoes after each wearing to remove road dust/grit. Supposing you don't, but continually apply sealing coats of hard wax. A couple of months down the line you'd notice the inferior look. Supposing you buff a slightly damp shoe and ruff up the previous layers of wax. That will affect the finish later on down the line. These are just a couple of examples. You'd then swear blind that you'd followed SF instructions to the letter, but without good result. Imagine trying to explain French polishing in a post... difficult! The only real way is to get the hands dirty and make lots of mistakes. I instinctively know how to approach most 'upsets' simply through trial and error, not because I'm any kind of expert. I also know the approximate drying times of my products.

Also, everyone has a different set of tools and materials; those wooden-boxed shoe care kits can never satisfy. I have everything from artist paint brushes to rubbing alcohol and turpentine.

Apologies for the repetition folks. Experiment and enjoy :D

Lear

Edit: I realize that you do wipe with moist rag, just using as an example for other folk. In fact, you sound as if you're well on your way to long lasting footwear.

2. Sir F

Sir F Senior member

First time I polish shoes, started with my hallam. Any tip would be nice, or does it all look good? Next time I will learn some wax also, so would get help here :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012

3. nickwjd

nickwjd Well-Known Member

Thanks for the detail! I might have to try that sometime, although I get decent results right now by layering many many thin layers. :)

4. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

:crackup:

5. justinkapur

justinkapur Senior member

Thanks guys. She's starting to get better. Walking today.

6. gyasih

gyasih Senior member

Glad to read she is doing better.

7. Sir F

Sir F Senior member

Dont know you or anything like everybody else (i'm kinda new)

But hope everything goes well and take care.

/ F

8. PAScheel

PAScheel Member

I too believe that many thin layers is the secret to a nice shine that will last! I also want to add that if you use lots of water in the end like I do, please blow the droplets away from the shoe hence these will dry out and cause stains on your nice mirror shine.

And you asked about the neutral polish. I've used it since I also heard it would improve the glass effect. I couldn't tell the difference. [​IMG]

9. Sotiris

Sotiris Senior member

Any suggestions to fix this splotch? Not sure what happened, but it doesn't seem to accept any cream or polish. I tried using Lexol cleaner (all I had), then Renovateur, but it didn't help, unless I'm being too impatient between steps?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012

10. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

Did you polish them with wax and water? If yes, you probably just used too much water; let them dry for some time and try again.

11. teacher2

teacher2 Well-Known Member

Hi, thanks for your thoughts.

From your post, I've "learned" to ensure that when I wipe my shoes clean before polishing, I should ensure that they are dry before then polishing. I don't really do that ATM (though, the cloth isn't real wet, so.).

But, could I borrow your ear once more, please?

Is just using Saphir MDO about every 5 wears, wiping them when they LOOK dirty and every 5 wears and using shoe trees and shoe horn 'good enough'? Would you expect Herring Premier shoes to last five years if treated like that? Or do I need a creme or a conditioner every 5 or so wears as well?

12. Lear

Lear Senior member

Teacher2

Sounds good, but then so do most weekly maintenance regimes. That you're even considering weekly maintenance, means your shoes will probably live a full and happy life. Any further considerations will have more to do with aesthetics than anything else.

The point I tried to make above, is that you can't break maintenance down to definite periods of time. Nor can you have a definitive list of products. Like ironing a shirt, it's pretty simple stuff, but imagine how difficult that would be to explain in words. Just use your common sense. If the shoe looks tired and flat in colour, spruce it up. It isn't rocket science, or at least that's what we were arguing this morning at the Advanced Missile Research Institute.

This thread is now so massive, it contains pretty much everything a begginer needs. Just start from page one and continue reading... :)

Lear -- Way of the Mirror

13. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

I've actually switched from saying "it isn't rocket science" to "it isn't shoe polishing".

14. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Way of the mirror, Lear. Way of the mirror.

15. razl

razl Senior member

As someone who's entire polish schooling was derived from this thread - and I think I've achieved a strong intermediate status - I agree. Not to quibble with a professor, but this thread so overflows with shining goodness that I'd say it covers everything an intermediate needs and most, I suspect, of what a pro needs. I can't think of anything a beginner needs that isn't in here.