1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. fritzl

fritzl Stylish Dinosaur

you're welcome. not to me.

2. Stirling

Stirling Senior Member

You and I are looking at the same photo bud so the reason is right there, the emerging lighter coloured creasing.If the shot was before the conditioner, cream and wax that would make a difference.

I'm glad that you can foresee a great patina too.

3. justinkapur

justinkapur Distinguished Member

I'm not sure you understand what your saying buddy. You think it was good that EG's are confused as Loakes? Do you know what patina is? Do a little reading before you start posting

4. Stirling

Stirling Senior Member

Clearly I'm not the one with the problem Mr Insecure.

I don't wear RTW but will be happy to post my shoes. Which incidently I know how to polish so they don't resemble inferior shoes nor am I complete dick who can't tell if his shoes are dry and needs to post pics on a forum to find out!

5. gyasih

gyasih Distinguished Member

Far from insecure, but you'd need to know me to find out. Otherwise, still waiting...

Last edited: Apr 28, 2012

6. Stirling

Stirling Senior Member

It's called sarcasm - it's the lowest form of wit, but clearly a step up for you but you'll get there one day.

Having worked in the leather industry for over twenty years I know exactly what a patina is, the pity is YOU don't know what a patina is & how long it takes leather especially of the colour in question to develop a patina.

So take your own advice & read a little.

7. alexSF

alexSF Distinguished Member

8. gyasih

gyasih Distinguished Member

I may apply another coat of cream. The one on the right were worn after a simple treatment of reno, cream and polish. I wasn't offended.

9. Crat

Crat Distinguished Member

Actually I presume it was irony rather than sarcasm. It seems to me that the remark was not intended to be hurtful. I thought it was funny actually so I qualify for the lowest form of wit :D

10. alexSF

alexSF Distinguished Member

:satisfied:

Have you used neutral polish?
    However you should remove the wax before apply another coat of dark brown shoe cream, that should restore the color in the creases.

11. Stirling

Stirling Senior Member

Indeed it was made in humour, but obviously I hit a nerve & received personal insults as a riposte.

12. justinkapur

justinkapur Distinguished Member

I apologize not trying to cause any insults. Been in a hospital for the last 48 hours. Just on edge a bit. Again sorry if I came off rude

13. Stirling

Stirling Senior Member

No hard feelings, wasn't directed towards you anyway.

I've read that your mother is unwell & wish her a speedy recovery.

14. fritzl

fritzl Stylish Dinosaur

you're way of acting reminds me of someone. a pretty cool dude. might be a coincidence. anyway

+1, health is our most important good.

15. teacher2

teacher2 Well-Known Member

Okay, so, I recently purchased some Herring Premier brown shoes. I am yet to polish/wax/clean my Herring shoes as I have not worn them very often. I intend to topy them next weekend.

I also have a pair of Lloyd Polar (leather soles) and some kickabouts (Ben Sherman).

With the Lloyd and the Ben Shermans, I use some nice Saphir MDO every few weeks. I apply using a brush, wait a couple of minutes (should prob wait longer), then use a microfiber cloth to buff up. I just do the toes and the heel, unless the shoe looks dirty / like it needs a polish, then I'll do the whole shoe. The Lloyd's are in great nick, but the Ben Shermans have seen better days. Obviously, I wipe them with a slightly moist disposable cloth (chux) before polishing to get rid of any dirt.

The only other 'shoe care' that I do is to use shoe trees in my Lloyd's and don't wear the same pair of shoes on consecutive days.

However, I expect my Herring shoes to last for ages. I'd be disappointed if they didn't last 3 years, and I 'expect' at least five years. I hope I can get 10 years out of them. So, with that in mind, I guess I should take care of them. I have some shoe polish that Herring supply free of charge, so, I'll obviously use that (and I'm in the market for a new horsehair brush and microfibre cloth).... but, I'm considering adding something extra to the routine. If you were to recommend that I do one thing extra, besides use the Herring polish and shoe trees and not wear them two days in a row... what would it be? Like, shoe conditioner, shoe cream, ??? Or, in reality, is polishing Herring Premiers apporx. every 5 wearings with the included Herring shoe polish good enough on its own? Obviously, if they look a bit worn and polish isn't good enough, in, say, 18 months time, then I'd be looking at products like a renovator or something... but that is in the future.

I don't want to go overboard, and I won't do something time consuming... but, if I can spend $20 on a shoe creme, then take an extra 4 minutes every 3 weeks when I clean my shoes, then I'm happy to do that.

Oh, and, I'm also, generally, using a shoe horn for the Herrings'.

Cheers,