**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Kwaker

Kwaker Senior member

Agree ... stresses on shoe eyelets on are split across multiple points ... my belt hole is really stressed when I sit or have a big meal

2. benhour

benhour Senior member

Hmmmm thats an interesting question!!! All my dress shoes have no metal eyelets and i have never had any problem with that at all!! On the other hand my army/commando boots have, with devastating impact on my laces (especially the hook eyelets) !!
    :puzzled:

3. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

Laces are wear items, and sacrificial. You know your stuff, but I'm very surprised to hear you have non-shell shoes without blind eyelets at least. The movement of tying shoes and walking (with a load created by weight and the force of walking) would create a sawing effect by the laces, I'd think, hence eyelets.

In these modern days, I think hidden eyelets would be dropped from shoes if they were unnecessary due to cost, additional steps and risk of factory defects.

4. MisterT

MisterT New Member

As a new member I just wanted to say hello and thank you to everyone who has provided such useful information on shoe care.

On the positive side the advice provided has saved at least one pair of shoes that I would previously have relegated to dog walking duty, before and after photos enclosed - it's a shame I wasn;t savvy enough to look after them sooner,

The downside is that along with car cleaning, shirt ironing and lawn mowing I now have another thing to get obsessive over... DSC02433.JPG DSC02434.JPG DSC02435.JPG

5. benhour

benhour Senior member

To be honest i was intrigued by your post and checked again every single one of my shoes!hahahaha!! (all are EU made, mostly Italian and UK) and yes they have no metal eyelets at all !(even my bespoke pair) ! only one pair have metal blind eyelets and is a budget pair i bought in London to serve under really heavy rainy days ! I checked the leather closely at the eyelets and even at my beater pair there are no signs of tear or any other damage!

6. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

That's interesting! The range of makers I own is pretty limited (Alden, Grant Stone, Allen Edmonds and Truman), but everything I own (even my 49-year-old Florsheims, which seem to be extremely well constructed) has eyelets. I wonder if it is an American thing?

7. Misterg12

Misterg12 Senior member

While we are on the subject of eyelets. I'm planning on having brass eyelets added to my new Alden black 4065's boots and looking at the current ones they appear to be set pretty snugly. How's does a cobbler go about removing the old and setting new ones. I would imagine any capable cobbler could do it but I hat to see a big scratch in my new black Cordovan boot.

8. starro

starro Senior member

My feeling is that eyelets are a one-way process. They can be added where there was none, but removing involves ripping into the leather. Maybe someone experienced can confirm or deny this.