**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

If I'm not mistaken, yes, it's something like that and has another elements added to the mix so that the alcohol doesn't dry the leather.

2. Kramereng

Kramereng New Member

How do I remove dried shoe polish from my broguing/seams on my dress shoes? I've been cleaning and polishing my dress shoes (mostly Allen Edmonds) and most of them have some white, dried polish that got stuck in the various holes/broguing/seams. I tried wetting them and using a horse hair brush to no avail. Do I need to soak them a bit? Is that bad for the shoe? I'm afraid to use stiffer brush or soak my leather.

3. Munky

Munky Senior member

I have used cotton buds, in the past. It takes a bit of time to get round to all the holes, but it works well! If you have been cleaning the shoes, it suggests that you may be using too much polish. I certainly wouldn't suggest soaking them. With all good wishes, Munky

4. Munky

Munky Senior member

I have used cotton buds, in the past. It takes a bit of time to get round to all the holes, but it works well! If you have been cleaning the shoes, it suggests that you may be using too much polish. I certainly wouldn't suggest soaking them. With all good wishes, Munky

5. Munky

Munky Senior member

Is it me, or has Styleforum and this thread lost a bit of its mojo? I don't want to sound reactionary but things ain't the same since the re-vamp. For a start, you seem to have to login just to view certain photos. No doubt, as Mother Julian of Norwich said, circa 1400, 'All shall be well and all shall be well and all manner of things shall be well'. With kind thoughts, Munky.

6. Kramereng

Kramereng New Member

Thanks! I'll try that. Did you just use water on the cotton buds (I assume you mean Q-tips?)? Or some more polish? I heard polish somehow breaks down old polish even that that seems counterintuitive.

7. Munky

Munky Senior member

Yes I was thinking of Q tips. They have different names in different countries. No, I wouldn't use water at all, for any part of your clean up and don't use any more polish! Just use the dry tips. Perhaps, then, you might use some neutral, cream, polish. It might be best, though, to just give them a rest. It is very easy to over-clean shoes. Regular brushing, when you go out and when you come back, will normally be all you need for a few weeks - at least, when you are wearing them in rotation with other shoes. Yours, Munky

8. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

I think some were put off while they implemented the new design. It was a little clunky at first, but works great in pretty much every way at this point. Hope everybody drifts back...